Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Formo View Post
    More like traditional. Which is what Packers/Bears fans are accustomed to. The fans I've talked to like these more than last years, mostly because of the same reasoning.. The sidepanels/piping are a far worse look than any 'amateur' look.
    Packers fans resisted a big change in their uniforms years ago. Bears and Steelers have had only minimum changes in their modern uniforms. The Vikings went to the Broncos pajamas look a few years ago, and now they are going with the college matte helmet fad and some strange font for the sake of change. Wilf should know better than to mess with tradition; that's almost as bad as messin' with Sasquatch.

There are things I like about the new uniforms - like the leg stripes, but the Vikings look like an expansion team, and that is not good for a team that has been in the NFL for a half century.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Polls - New Hemets and New Fonts!

Well Minnman I would normally agree with your sentiment about messing with Tradition but as noted in the other thread if our tradition consists of near misses, shoulda dones, and unfulfilled expectations then just maybe a big change is in order. Although the font sucks.

It wasn't until the Bucs had a drastic uni change that they finally got their stuff together and won a SB. In 1996 the Broncos traded in the orange crush for the current uni's and won the next 2 SB's after losing 4.

So a big change can sometimes be a good thing for a team. All I can say is at least they didn't do what the Jags did. Holy cow.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Culpepper_4717 View Post
    Is that "99" or "g9"? :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    All I can say is at least they didn't do what the Jags did. Holy cow.
    Lol I gotta agree with you there. Man those helmets are just awful and make me want to vomit. Most Jag fans seem to approve of them though. I think they need to have their eyes examined.

Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Is that "99" or "g9"? :P
    B4 and now g9, I guess we can call it the bingo font.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Well Minnman I would normally agree with your sentiment about messing with Tradition but as noted in the other thread if our tradition consists of near misses, shoulda dones, and unfulfilled expectations then just maybe a big change is in order. Although the font sucks.
    Wilf tried that with the pajamas, and it did not work. Changes in uniforms don't really make a difference; changes in players and coaches do. Sometimes, the changes come at a similar time, and people believe there is a connection that just is not there. People also believe in astrology and palm reading for the same reason.

It wasn't until the Bucs had a drastic uni change that they finally got their stuff together and won a SB. In 1996 the Broncos traded in the orange crush for the current uni's and won the next 2 SB's after losing 4.
    The uniforms did not do that.

The Broncos helmet and colors were better, but the pajamas stripes looked awful. The Bucs went with pewter pants that made it look like the linemen all crapped their pants when they sweated in the butt crack. That was no upgrade; plus, the original Bucs logo was just too cool to replace with a generic pirate flag.

So a big change can sometimes be a good thing for a team. All I can say is at least they didn't do what the Jags did. Holy cow.
    The big change that came was in players and coaches. The Packers and Steelers have resisted change, and they have won many Superbowls. By your logic, they should have been left in the dust by teams with fantastic new duds. It is faulty logic.

That does not mean that some uniform changes are not good, it just means that there is no statistical evidence to suggest that changes create winners.

In the Vikings case, Wilf purchased a team that had one of the best ranked uniforms in the NFL by polls of pundits and fans. He messed with it, and it was worse. This was an opportunity to go traditional, and some designer could not resist the trendy matte helmet, funky fonts, and multi-sized stripes. Vikings fans see this new uniform through purple colored glasses just as Jacksonville fans generally like their new ugly uniforms. The Vikings' uniforms are not as bad as the Jags, but the Vikings' uniforms could have been better.

Of course, this is all opinion, but it my opinion that the Vikings should not look like a college team on the field, especially considering they will be playing in a college stadium for two seasons.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    Changes in uniforms don't really make a difference; changes in players and coaches do. Sometimes, the changes come at a similar time, and people believe there is a connection that just is not there. People also believe in astrology and palm reading for the same reason.
    Come on now, you can't tell me some good free agents haven't passed up the Buccs because of those creamsicle uniforms haha. Bo Jackson said he didn't want to play for the Yucks because they screwed up his college eligibility at Auburn, but I think it had more to do with him not wanting to be caught dead wearing those atrocious uniforms xD.

Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    Come on now, you can't tell me some good free agents haven't passed up the Buccs because of those creamsicle uniforms haha. Bo Jackson said he didn't want to play for the Yucks because they screwed up his college eligibility at Auburn, but I think it had more to do with him not wanting to be caught dead wearing those atrocious uniforms xD.
    Pooper, I mean pewter, was not an improvement. I did like the color change from orange to red.

The Bucs had a great logo, and they exchanged it for a Pirates of the Caribbean flag. If the Vikings changed their logo from the Norseman to a flag, I would not be happy.

In any case, a change in uniform does little to improve a team. It is illogical thinking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123