Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Re: Police and Childress create informal policy in Mpls. for Vikings

Bob that was one of the most sensible posts I've ever seen on this site.
    I think it had a lot of good points

Mike

I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

God Bless Bob

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

This won't really do much

But im glad he cares!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Here's my issue with Childress.
    He was brought in to clean up the orginization. He hasn't done that. No coach can do that.
    You can cut players and bring in players you think are quality guys but people can change or your perception of that person can be wrong. I wish people remembered that about Tice. I hated Tice but he got a bum rap.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

[img width=450 height=679]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3486/2000757964125457543rsnp4.jpg[/img]

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

One of the reasons Childress was brought in was to improve the discipline on the team so each time that a player steps out of line then its a slap in the face towards him. Having said that I like the approach he has taken on this and think it's good that he should be one of the first to know regarding
    any potential problems. Least in that way he has a chance to find out first hand what is going on rather than via TV/reporter going straight to him.
    Credit to him on this.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Triple that!

Keep posting man, we love insight like this!
    Quad that.

Man you gotta love a Senior Enlisted.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Trkn10 is offline Training Camp

Appreciate the feedback folks

I'll try not to make this long, but since many of the replies have some great points I think a minute or two is warranted for support and/or disagreement.

I would like to believe that there is some mechanism within the organizational architecture of this franchise that confirms a player has read, and understands the NFL's Code of Conduct ( http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/images/070410codeofconduct.pdf).
    From reading it, it appears pretty clear to me that the institution that employs me (if I were a player) expects me to behave in a way that promotes a positive image of both self and the League, instills public trust & confidence, and responsible citizenship.
    It's also pretty clear that if I delve into the categories of behavior that the League deems to be not in the best interest of the NFL I can expect to be dealt with.

I understand things need to be considered on a case-by-case basis and there are some things that should be dealt with at the franchise-level and some that should be elevated for adjudication at the Commissioner's level (Vick for example).
    I have two fundemental problems with this whole player discipline issue (recognizing I'm deviating from the Chilly phone # thing so please work with me for a minute:

1) It is the player, not the coaches.
    One more time; it is the player not the coaches.
    Each player makes a decision to abstain from, or immerse themself (and others sometimes) in an environment or behavior that may be detrimental to good order and discipline.
    The coach isn't there pulling the strings on a Saturday night, offering them a "J" or buying them a partner and leasing a stairwell or yacht.
    For the $ these guys get paid and the lifestyle (=standard of living) one could enjoy you think they would think twice about doing something idiotic that could (with the right leadership) jeapordize it??
    Many need to grow the $^%@ up and act in a way that should be commensurate with the behavior the public/society should reasonably expect of a professional figure in their salary range.
    I know if I got paid that kind of money, had a mega-crib, an SUV for every day of the week, kids in college, and a wife with expensive taste I'd be making sure I don't jeapordize my ability to support those things.
    If I did do something that brought discredit to myself, the team, and the league I'd expect (after acknowledging the Code of Conduct (CoC) and the Franchise's own CoC upon placement on the roster) the harshest treatment, and if it fit the offense I would not contest it, nor expect/or desire the player's union or outside civic group to do so either.
    Bottom line, I believe this starts with the players and can be corrected with good veteran locker-room/off the field leadership.

2)
    Coaches - If anything can be lumped on to Childress in this, or Tice it is that the consequences of bad behavior/decisions are not severe enough to serve a meaningful deterrent.
    We don't need to know what goes on behind closed doors because the very fact that under his watch (or recorded history of this or any franchise) there has been more than one infraction tells me some players look at discipline as an annoyance standing in the way of the rep they want to earn on the street.
    The consequences will roll off their back like water off a duck's so no big deal, I'll take a slap on the wrist if it means I look fly among my peeps.
    I can assure you that all it takes is for someone to be the sacrificial lamb (aka. the example) and things would change.
    If these guys were absolutely serious about cleaning up the image of a team they would take no prisoners.
    If I was Zygimundo and had some of this crap happen on my watch I'd sit the guy down, read him the riot act, say "shalom mother%4@5&8 and go pulp fiction on his a** (OK, a little draconian, but a refreshing visual).
    In all seriousness he would be ridin' pine for a while, and feelin' the pain in his pocket book, no ifs ands or buts!
    If I see no attonement over the course of a couple of weeks I cut his a** and send him packin' even if it means a financial hit for me as the owner.
    It sends the message that bull%@% won't be tolerated as there are 50+ other guys and an entire organization whose quest for victory and glory won't be comprimised by your selfish speed-bump of an a**.

AngloVike - I agree, it's a slap in the face towards him, but the larger more unforgivable issue is that it's a slap in the face to the franchise and the league as well (and I know the players don't care, but us too)
    >

Let's hope they wake up and recognize their historic calling as Minnesota Vikings!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Trkn10" wrote:
    Appreciate the feedback folks

I'll try not to make this long, but since many of the replies have some great points I think a minute or two is warranted for support and/or disagreement.

I would like to believe that there is some mechanism within the organizational architecture of this franchise that confirms a player has read, and understands the NFL's Code of Conduct ( http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/images/070410codeofconduct.pdf).
    From reading it, it appears pretty clear to me that the institution that employs me (if I were a player) expects me to behave in a way that promotes a positive image of both self and the League, instills public trust & confidence, and responsible citizenship.
    It's also pretty clear that if I delve into the categories of behavior that the League deems to be not in the best interest of the NFL I can expect to be dealt with.

I understand things need to be considered on a case-by-case basis and there are some things that should be dealt with at the franchise-level and some that should be elevated for adjudication at the Commissioner's level (Vick for example).
    I have two fundemental problems with this whole player discipline issue (recognizing I'm deviating from the Chilly phone # thing so please work with me for a minute:

1) It is the player, not the coaches.
    One more time; it is the player not the coaches.
    Each player makes a decision to abstain from, or immerse themself (and others sometimes) in an environment or behavior that may be detrimental to good order and discipline.
    The coach isn't there pulling the strings on a Saturday night, offering them a "J" or buying them a partner and leasing a stairwell or yacht.
    For the $ these guys get paid and the lifestyle (=standard of living) one could enjoy you think they would think twice about doing something idiotic that could (with the right leadership) jeapordize it??
    Many need to grow the $^%@ up and act in a way that should be commensurate with the behavior the public/society should reasonably expect of a professional figure in their salary range.
    I know if I got paid that kind of money, had a mega-crib, an SUV for every day of the week, kids in college, and a wife with expensive taste I'd be making sure I don't jeapordize my ability to support those things.
    If I did do something that brought discredit to myself, the team, and the league I'd expect (after acknowledging the Code of Conduct (CoC) and the Franchise's own CoC upon placement on the roster) the harshest treatment, and if it fit the offense I would not contest it, nor expect/or desire the player's union or outside civic group to do so either.
    Bottom line, I believe this starts with the players and can be corrected with good veteran locker-room/off the field leadership.

2)
    Coaches - If anything can be lumped on to Childress in this, or Tice it is that the consequences of bad behavior/decisions are not severe enough to serve a meaningful deterrent.
    We don't need to know what goes on behind closed doors because the very fact that under his watch (or recorded history of this or any franchise) there has been more than one infraction tells me some players look at discipline as an annoyance standing in the way of the rep they want to earn on the street.
    The consequences will roll off their back like water off a duck's so no big deal, I'll take a slap on the wrist if it means I look fly among my peeps.
    I can assure you that all it takes is for someone to be the sacrificial lamb (aka. the example) and things would change.
    If these guys were absolutely serious about cleaning up the image of a team they would take no prisoners.
    If I was Zygimundo and had some of this crap happen on my watch I'd sit the guy down, read him the riot act, say "shalom mother%4@5&8 and go pulp fiction on his a** (OK, a little draconian, but a refreshing visual).
    In all seriousness he would be ridin' pine for a while, and feelin' the pain in his pocket book, no ifs ands or buts!
    If I see no attonement over the course of a couple of weeks I cut his a** and send him packin' even if it means a financial hit for me as the owner.
    It sends the message that bull%@% won't be tolerated as there are 50+ other guys and an entire organization whose quest for victory and glory won't be comprimised by your selfish speed-bump of an a**.

AngloVike - I agree, it's a slap in the face towards him, but the larger more unforgivable issue is that it's a slap in the face to the franchise and the league as well (and I know the players don't care, but us too)
    >

Let's hope they wake up and recognize their historic calling as Minnesota Vikings!

You I like.
    Great stuff, keep it up.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123