Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Police and Childress create informal policy in Mpls. for Vikings

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    How is giving his number going to solve anything?
    It won't solve anything when it comes to a player making grown up decisions and doing the right thing all the time but it will give both him (the player) and the police a number to call when things go wrong.

As I stated previously, I never blame the coach/organization for player indescretion.
    They are adults and should act that way.

What I will get down on the coaches/organization on is if they don't deal with individuals fairly.
    Don't they already have his number?

You might be right.

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Plus you have to rememebr that havng a coach get involved may prevent a already bad situation worse. Everyone does stupid things sometimes even football players.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    It won't solve anything when it comes to a player making grown up decisions and doing the right thing all the time but it will give both him (the player) and the police a number to call when things go wrong.

As I stated previously, I never blame the coach/organization for player indescretion.

What I will get down on the coaches/organization on is if they don't deal with individuals fairly.

You might be right.
    Not to mention your personal vendetta for Rob Brzcheapski right?

I think you are guilty of a little man hate on someone for the vikings marrdro. It's like me with Williamson.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    "PurpleTide" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    I guess we should chalk this up as another reason why he is incompetent
    Its good to see any coach do something like this
    I don't quite look at it that way. I kindof like the fact the he has made the offer.

Secondly, the Chiller shouldn't be judged on player action off the field (I never held that against Tice) but rather how he and the staff deal with it when they get back.

If he is fair with dealing out punishment and doesn't play favorites, make exceptions for stars then I think he is doing his job a heck of alot more competent that other HC's in this league.

One day you and I will agree on everything my friend.

;D

(Edit.
    Thanks for the read my friend.

;D)
    I agree Marrdro, it is good to see a HC involved with his players.
    I was actually being Sarcastic with my first statement. People rip him for being incompeten, and have no clue what he was doing. Hmm seems like sometything a competent coach that knew what he was doing would do.
    I am glad he is doing this. I am still not 100% sold any mre on the direction he is taking but I think he knows what he is doing and is competent as a coach. Plus doing things like this definatly is a huge positive for me
    I got the sarcasm.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

You might be right.
    Not to mention your personal vendetta for Rob Brzcheapski right?

I think you are guilty of a little man hate on someone for the vikings marrdro. It's like me with Williamson.
    I blame him for us not having every expensive FA out there on our team.

Of course I give him props as well cause I will always freely admit they all know more than I will ever know when it comes to running a team.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Trkn10 is offline Training Camp

Happy New Year to all!!

Here's a few thoughts on the # thing and accountability.

I tip my hat to Chilly for trying to foster a relationship with the police that is meant to instill a sense of confidence among them that if a Viking gets busted the team's leadership will deal with it in a responsible way.
    I'm sure he knows this will not lessen the degree of involvement the proper civil authorities will engage in the matter, but it shows good stewardship and respect for the role all parties should play in the process.

I base my opinion on a similar relationship I (and many of my fellow Senior NCOs) had with the local authorities in the few communities I lived in during my 20-yrs in the USAF.
    Upon my retirement in 2003 I provided both direct and indirect supervision to 238 enlisted men & women.
    No matter how disciplined these folks were on duty some strayed on the weekends and got themselves in trouble.
    Myself & my First Sergeant would get called to basically come claim the person (or if they really pissed us off give the cops the OK to leave them in the cell for the weekend).
    The local police knew that being turned over to us was going to produce a moderately negative emotional event for that individual, more so than what the police could get away with legally.
    The point wasn't to f*** with their mind, but to get to the root of the issue, get them to assume responsibility, and come-up with a plan for recompense as they let themselves and their team down.
    In the military, like the Vikes these folks are all part of something much bigger then themselves and every decision they make (in or out of uniform, on or off the field) has implications that affect hundreds of people, could damage public confidence (e.g. Minot Nuk incident), and not only degrade the sense of respect our allies have in us, but lessen the deterrent message we want to project to our adversaries.
    Ok, the Vikings don't load nuclear weapons (although I wish they hit with the same force), but there are many parallels with them as a team to the points I made about our military.
    My point is that I believe under Chilly's culture of accountability this and the walking the beat tactic are necessary steps in fostering trust among the team both up & down, and laterally with eachother.
    These guys are adults and must be given their props for throwing themselves out there to have their bodies crushed, regardless of how much $ they get for it.
    However, they must understand that their decisions have far reaching/long-standing consequences.
    What does getting busted smoking a doobie say about their sense of good citizenry to an impressionable young fan who just received their jersey as a gift for a birthday or multi-denominational holiday??

I know I've babbled a bit here, but this whole accountability thing is a very sensitive subject with me.
    The discipline that exists among members of a team is one of the things that instills trust, respect, and success.
    Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors I have to believe Chilly doesn't bring 'em in, put his arm on their shoulders, take a toke and say, "it's OK, we'll get through this together, now don't bogart that joint".
    I'm hoping he, or somebody else if he doesn't have the nads to do it rips their freakin' heads off, then begins the healing process.
    Healing does not mean sitting out the first O- or D-series, it means getting in front of the whole team on Monday AM (when it should have been their day off after a game) and saying "I'm a dumb a** and I let you all (and the fans, the man who signs my check, and all who have worn this uniform before me) down and here is how I plan on fixing it".
    That's accountability.
    Problem is I don't see where the deterrent is that makes the risk of screwing-up on this team so unacceptable that they fly above-board all the time.
    I don't do repeat mistakes, so player # 1, you get busted doing whatever and discredit the team then you get the hammer and the standards are reinstilled.
    Player #2, you screw-up, it's your a** and you're toast (I put dropping passes the way TW does as a major crime against humanity) so he's toast) ;D

Nobody says brains comes with a big check, but some peer pressure from veteran players who should be leaders would help.

Give 'em your number Chilly, just don't hesitate to kick some a** when you have to.
    Just do it fairly and equitably.

Again, sorry, I know I rambled.

Regards!!

Bob

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

GREAT POST BOB!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    GREAT POST BOB!

Double that, Bob. Nice job...

Happy New Year!
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Triple that!

Keep posting man, we love insight like this!

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Got a problem that needs to be solved?
    In trouble with the law?
    Need some help?

Who you going to call?!?!

Brad Childress P.I.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast