Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ballhog27 is offline Rookie

Battle of the $49 million men.

Sunday brings us the Poison Pill teams of the offseason as we see the Vikings with starter and staple Steve Hutchinson take on the Seahawks withe Nate "I was a number one, but now I'm a number like 3 or 4 on another team, yet I'm getting paid more than some number 2s and number 1s" Burleson. The record may not show it but I do believe that Hutch has proved that the Vikings made the right choice where Seattle was so unsure about who they had that they went and picked up Dieon Branch to fill a void in their receiving corps. So what do you guys think of the matchup.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

Del Rio Guest

Re: The Poison Pill Bowl

Nate Burleson

Player Info
    Draft Info

WR (#)
    Year: 2003

Seattle Seahawks
    Round: 3

Renton, WA
    Position: 7

Salary History

2008 3250000.00
    2009 3250000.00
    2010 10500000.00
    2011 12000000.00
    2012 12000000.00

LMAO!!!!
    2006 1250000.00
    2007 2750000.00

n isn't going to see much of that money.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Burleson is a nonissue.
    His claim to fame came in 2004 when the Vikings' offense was on fire.
    He is as mediocre as they come.
    I did enjoy Seattle's poison pill rebuttal though after they lost Hutchinson.
    It appears to me that they were poisoned three times: once by themselves for the transition tag on Hutch, once for the Vikings winning the arbitration, and once for giving Burleson the poison pill contract.
    Go Seahawks!
    Plain and simple, they lost in the game of wits and they're angry about it.
    Kind of like stealing candy from a baby, you can only be proud of it for a little while.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

It was a 2 year deal and the rest is just to get back at us for Hutch, he was offered the same money from the Vikes and he chose Seattle and I think they cut him after this season!
    So maybe he will be back with the Vikes next year and then we got Hutch a 3rd round pick and Burly that would really tick off the Seattle fans!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I always thought Nate was a bit overated.
    If nothing else, he seemed to be hurt all the time.

I think our pill was better and we got the better end of it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Del Rio Guest

We got a pill they took a big old suppository.

There is a difference.

scottishvike is offline Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Whenever a guy plays against his old team there is always the chance of him being the game winner, If nothing else it gives the sports writers an easy job. On Sunday it's a double whammy with Hutch and Burleson facing their old franchises, with Nate still playing hurt I really hope It's Hutchinson who makes all the headlines in Monday's papers.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

We have to get a good pash rush from the get go or Hasselback will have a good day sitting back and finding receivers. They are semi one-dimensional without Alexander so we need a pass rush to put pressur eon them.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

bobflipaburger is offline Waterboy

this should be a good game, good luck

that being said here's my prediction:

Seahawks- 24
    Vikings- 17

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings-Seahawks Preview
    Associated Press
    19 Oct. 2006

Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren hoped Shaun Alexander could play this week. The reigning MVP feels he is able to play.

Neither will take any chances, though, when the Seahawks try to match the best six-game start in franchise history on Sunday as they host the Minnesota Vikings.

Alexander, the 2005 league rushing leader who suffered a cracked bone in his left foot last month, is likely to miss a third straight game on Sunday and at least one additional week.

The Seahawks (4-1), with replacement Maurice Morris struggling, could have benefited from Alexander's return as they face the Vikings (3-2), who are allowing 74.4 rushing yards per game to rank fourth in the NFL.

"I suppose some people have put players out on the field a little earlier," Holmgren said. "In Shaun's case, because he is a running back and because we can't afford to have him re-injure that if we can avoid it, we are going to try to err on the side of caution."

Despite Alexander's injury, the Seahawks enter this week going for a 5-1 start, something only the 2003 team has accomplished since the franchise came into existence in 1976. Seattle opened 2-2 last season before winning 11 in a row en route to the Super Bowl.

Morris has been limited to 109 yards on 34 carries in two starts since replacing Alexander. Morris lost a fumble at St. Louis' 7-yard line with 2:48 left last Sunday, allowing the Rams to drive for a go-ahead score, before Seahawks kicker Josh Brown made a 54-yard field goal as time expired in Seattle's 30-28 road win.

"I kind of gave the team a heart attack," Morris said. "I put us in a situation that we shouldn't have even been in."

Alexander wasn't doing so well when he was healthy, averaging just 2.9 yards per carry and failing to have one 100-yard game.

One reason the Seahawks often have struggled in the ground game and pass protection - they've allowed 17 sacks - is because Steve Hutchinson is no longer part of the offensive line.

Seattle has sorely missed the All-Pro guard, who makes his return to Qwest Field on Sunday. The Seahawks did not match the seven-year, $49 million offer the Vikings made to Hutchinson during the offseason, and he's ended up becoming part of a Minnesota offensive line which has surrendered only seven sacks.

"It's hard for me to be too mad at him, because he's one of my favorite guys of all time, but I was surprised and disappointed," Holmgren said of Hutchinson's departure.

The Seahawks responded to that signing by giving a deal - for the same money and number of years - to receiver Nate Burleson to leave the Vikings. Burleson is off to a poor start in a Seattle uniform with seven receptions for 104 yards and a touchdown this season, and he had no catches last week.

Seattle surely would like to see Burleson step up for its injury-depleted receiving corps. While receiver Bobby Engram (thyroid condition) will probably miss a second straight game, tight end Jerramy Stevens (knee) has not played this season and his status for this week is uncertain.

The absence of those targets did not seem to negatively affect Matt Hasselbeck last week as he threw for a season-high 268 yards and three touchdowns by completing 19 of 34 passes. Receiver Deion Branch had his best game since the Seahawks acquired him on Sept. 11 in a trade with New England, finishing with six catches for 76 yards and two TDs.

"We can build on a win like this," said Holmgren, whose defense contributed six sacks. "It was a very, very important game."

The Vikings come off their bye week looking to duplicate the defensive performance from their most recent game, a 26-17 win over Detroit on Oct. 8. Minnesota scored two defensive touchdowns in a 23-0 fourth quarter and allowed a season-low 217 yards of offense, including 16 rushing on 11 carries.

Minnesota's defense has scored three TDs this season, one fewer than the Vikings offense.

"Everytime we take the field, we try to score or get the ball back," defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said. "That's our personality. That's how we play defense."

The game also saw Chester Taylor rush for 123 yards on 26 carries. He's run for 324 yards in Minnesota's three wins, compared to 97 in its two losses.

The Vikings' two defeats have been by a combined eight points.

"Right now it's about that time where the playoff race starts to become more true," linebacker Napoleon Harris said. "Weeks 6-10 basically shows the face of the teams that are pretenders and contenders."

The Vikings lost 27-23 to the Seahawks on Dec. 12, 2004, in the most recent meeting, and are 3-6 in this all-time series. Minnesota's only win in five trips to Seattle came on Nov. 18, 1990.

============================

Alexander is out
    Wednesday, October 18th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

As expected Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander is listed as out for Sunday’s game against the Vikings because of a broken foot. Receiver Bobby Engram (thyroid) and left guard Floyd Womack (knee) also are out. Defensive end Joe Tafoya (knee) and linebacker D.D. Lewis (turf toe) are questionable. Tight end Jerramy Stevens (knee) did not play last Sunday against St. Louis but is expected back this week.

===================

KFFL
    Seahawks | Alexander misses practice Wednesday
    Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:17:38 -0700

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander (foot) missed practice Wednesday, Oct. 18 and is out for the Week 7 game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seahawks | Alexander expected to miss two more games
    Mon, 16 Oct 2006 08:30:26 -0700

Updating a previous report, Sports Illustrated's Peter King reports Seattle Seahawks RB Shaun Alexander (foot) is expected to miss two more games due to a broken foot. It was previously reported that Alexander would be ready to play in Week 7.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast