Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Plenty of blame to go around; let’s divide it up

Very interesting take on where he sees the blame lie

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/randball/

The Vikings should have been a playoff team this season. There’s no other way around it. Their defense is at least top 15, maybe top 10. They put enough money into the offensive line that they should have been able to dominate the line of scrimmage, both running and passing. And the biggest component: Look at their schedule. The NFC is horrendous; and with the excpetion of the Jets, and to a much lesser extent the 49ers, every team on their schedule has either played at an expected level or underachieved. Washington? Bad. Carolina? Overrated. Same with Miami. Detroit? Even worse than expected. Ditto for Arizona. Ditto for St. Louis. Ditto for Seattle. The Packers? A mediorcre team that would be 5-10 had the Vikings defeated them twice instead of the other way around. Simply put, to be 6-9 right now is unacceptable. So: Who’s to blame? We’ll try to break it down percentage-wise.

Brad Childress, 50 percent: The Vikings coach is getting absolutely whaled on by readers. Seriously, the anti-Childress e-mails we get dwarf the anti-Tice e-mails we got last year. His play-it-safe strategy worked early, but he’s proven to be clueless when it comes to adjustments, both within games and within the season. This is his system, and to a certain extent this is his personnel. And right now, not much he’s touching is working.

Zygi Wilf, 15 percent: He signs the checks. He made the call on Childress. The owner is on the hook for some of this mess.

Brad Johnson, 15 percent: He was handcuffed somewhat by the system he was playing in, but he also dug his own grave many times by making the wrong decisions – both in terms of forcing the ball at the wrong times and checking down to a two-yard completion when other things were open.

Offensive line, 7 percent: Too inconsistent for the amount of money and talent. It should have paved the way for consistent TD drives, not sporadic field goal drives.

Pass defense, 7 percent: This includes the pass rush. This includes linebackers not covering well. This includes the secondary falling asleep at times. This includes D coaches not making adjustments. This includes the off-field stupidity of Dwight Smith, Fred Smoot and Darren Sharper.

Wide receivers, 6 percent: Troy Williamson. Catch the ball. Everyone else: Get open once in a while.

Add it up. 100 percent. 6-9. Unacceptable. Your thoughts?

Del Rio Guest

Re: Plenty of blame to go around; let’s divide it up

LMAO, wow just wow...........................

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Is there anyone he did not blame? Well At least the Special Teams was not mentioned anywhere.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:
    Add it up. 100 percent. 6-9. Unacceptable. Your thoughts?
    I'm pretty much in agreement.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio Guest

15% for BJ?

7% for a horrible offensive line who killed over 15 red zone appearances with penalties.........

I think he is pissing in the wind on this one.

"Del" wrote:
    15% for BJ?

7% for a horrible offensive line who killed over 15 red zone appearances with penalties.........

15% for BJ is fair.
    He was the undisputed starting QB from the moment Daunte was traded and he basically did nothing for the team.
    He took bad sacks, made poor decisions and had a hard time putting the ball in the spots where it needs to be in the WCO.

I think 15% for the O-Line might be fair, not only for the penalties, but also for the amazing way Bryant McKinnie started sucking once he got paid.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    15% for BJ?

15% for BJ is fair.
    He was the undisputed starting QB from the moment Daunte was traded and he basically did nothing for the team.
    He took bad sacks, made poor decisions and had a hard time putting the ball in the spots where it needs to be in the WCO.

I think 15% for the O-Line might be fair, not only for the penalties, but also for the amazing way Bryant McKinnie started sucking once he got paid.

=Z=
    I don't know what is fair or how it would even be possible to break this down, but I would rest a lot of Brads problems on the rest of the team. Just like Tarvaris is struggling with the same things this is not a QB problem it is a team problem IMO.

"Del" wrote:
    I don't know what is fair or how it would even be possible to break this down, but I would rest a lot of Brads problems on the rest of the team. Just like Tarvaris is struggling with the same things this is not a QB problem it is a team problem IMO.
    Well - of course it is, it's the ultimate team game.

O-Line is bad, you can't run, so RB is bad, which means you have to pass, but O-line is bad so not much time and WRs can't get open and QB makes bad play for pick and on and on and on.

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Well - of course it is, it's the ultimate team game.

O-Line is bad, you can't run, so RB is bad, which means you have to pass, but O-line is bad so not much time and WRs can't get open and QB makes bad play for pick and on and on and on.

=Z=
    Yeah I agree I said the same thing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Who wrote that?
    Just curious

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast