Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vikingsblitz is offline Training Camp

Please Pass The Ball To The WRs This Week!!!

Is it just me or did it seem like we were constantly passing the ball to the TEs? Garrett Mills did a good job but he shouldn't be leading the team in passing yards. Also, we kept throwing it to Shiancoe but the guy just couldn't hold on. Going to the TEs from time to time is great but what about the wide outs???

Common sense would tell me that after a few drops, you should look somewhere else for a little while...
    We come from the land of the ice and snow...crying Valhalla, I am coming!

Check out Vikings Blitz and feel the rush!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Please Pass The Ball To The WRs This Week!!!

"vikingsblitz" wrote:
    Is it just me or did it seem like we were constantly passing the ball to the TEs? Garrett Mills did a good job but he shouldn't be leading the team in passing yards. Also, we kept throwing it to Shiancoe but the guy just couldn't hold on. Going to the TEs from time to time is great but what about the wide outs???

Common sense would tell me that after a few drops, you should look somewhere else for a little while...
    It's just you.
    See post 481 or nfl.com for play-by-play.
    With a quick glance there were 8 passes to RBs, 18 passes to WRs, and 10 passes to TEs.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

"vikingsblitz" wrote:

Being wide open during one or two plays during the game would help a bit
    El underdog.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "vikingsblitz" wrote:

It's just you.
    See post 481 or nfl.com for play-by-play.
    With a quick glance there were 8 passes to RBs, 18 passes to WRs, and 10 passes to TEs.
    This is how your shutdown a worthless argument. Well Done Prophet.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

It is not that we don't throw it, but it seems to me that we never throw short. Every pass, it seems, is intermediate to long. For instance, we never seem to throw the slant, which the standard "answer" to the blitz.

The one slant that Tarvaris tried to throw in the 1st half of the Packers game was a horrific pass by any standards - low and behind the reciever. A truly terrible pass that Daunte on a bad day in Miami would have thrown.

Maybe that is why we don't throw it: Tarvaris is not accurate enough. So instead, we have him "ad libbing" and freelancing, doing roll-outs and throwing into coverage downfield.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    It is not that we don't throw it, but it seems to me that we never throw short. Every pass, it seems, is intermediate to long. For instance, we never seem to throw the slant, which the standard "answer" to the blitz.

The one slant that Tarvaris tried to throw in the 1st half of the Packers game was a horrific pass by any standards - low and behind the reciever. A truly terrible pass that Daunte on a bad day in Miami would have thrown.

Maybe that is why we don't throw it: Tarvaris is not accurate enough. So instead, we have him "ad libbing" and freelancing, doing roll-outs and throwing into coverage downfield.
    The other two slants we threw were in the 2nd Half, one was a PI no call inteded for Sidney Rice, once again a defender draped on one our WR's before the ball got there. The second slant of the 2nd Half was intended for Bernard Berrian, it was a fantastic throw perfectly on stride leading him down field, Charles Woodson got a shoe string tackle to save the TD.

The rollouts were worthless, we tried to many, Tarvaris works better from the pocket. I like the rollouts but very few and far in between.

Tarvaris is plenty accurate enough but he never displayed solid consistency throughout the game, if he can improve his passing % he will shut down alot of naysayers.

I agree that Tarvaris occasionally throws a really nice ball. But he also throws some bricks too. He has a strong arm. I think he thinks that the longer he holds the ball, the better the situation will get. Maybe that works at I-AA college football, but not in the NFL. In college, you can roll out and the WRs separate better, but defenders are too good in the NFL and I think waiting on your throw maybe is not the best thing.

Watch the good NFL QBs: they get the ball out fast.

I actually am not even blaming Tarvaris. He is doing the best he can, and I respect the guy for that. It is the O-coordinator, Bevell, that I am mad at.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"StillPurple" wrote:
    I agree that Tarvaris occasionally throws a really nice ball. But he also throws some bricks too. He has a strong arm. I think he thinks that the longer he holds the ball, the better the situation will get. Maybe that works at I-AA college football, but not in the NFL. In college, you can roll out and the WRs separate better, but defenders are too good in the NFL and I think waiting on your throw maybe is not the best thing.

Watch the good NFL QBs: they get the ball out fast.

I actually am not even blaming Tarvaris. He is doing the best he can, and I respect the guy for that. It is the O-coordinator, Bevell, that I am mad at.
    wow, thas a whole 180 degree turn from your POV a few months ago, and i'll have to agree with you.
    however, there were some inexcusable throws last game.
    The long one to Berrian down the left sideline.
    he wasn't even close to open, yet he sitll threw it.
    A few were thrown near the ankles and behind.
    Those need work.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. There were plenty of short throws. The missed slant to Berrian. The Shank "drop". The slant to Berrian that would have been a TD save for a shorstring tackle. The checkdown to Tapeh. The 11 yard cross to Rice that was followed by 12 YAC and a TD.

Even though I don't like TJ's accuracy, how is a deep ball going to improve the situation? Shorter passes are easier to make.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

That is what I am arguing for: short passes. Slants.

I do think we got hosed by the refs a bit, and that is not Tarvaris's fault. But he does have to take responsibility for that slant he missed early, which killed our drive. Most NFL QBs would have hit that. That is the kind of pass that got Daunte out of Miami, btw.

And I think after a year as a starter and the entire offseason + camp, if Tarvaris still can't make that throw, we are in trouble. Many people all over the league have just said that Tarvaris is not accurate enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast