Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Please give me some proper perspective....

"sirweeze" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone.
    I always wondered why my dad (former season ticket holder) hated Herschel... "He tip-toes to the line and falls over!"
    So I guess it wasn't entirely his fault.

Also... Brian Sipe is a former NFL MVP?!?
    He didn't tip-toe to the line. He hit the line on the run, which is why when he came here he stood farther back behind the line.

Our OC didn't like that & tried to make him a 2-3 step back. It didn't work.

It wasn't broke & they tried to fix it.

The OC ~messed up~ up big-time with that move. He never could admit he was wrong & let Herschel run the way Herschel ran best.
    That was Bob Schnelker right?
    Mike Lynn engineered the trade, he is the one who messed up

5 players & 8 picks over 4 years for 1 player and 4 picks over 2 years

The Vikes had the 2 Carters, Hassan Jones and Steve Jordan

With Gannon and Wade combining for over 3000 yards of passing yardage

Trade for a back that likes to run in an I formation and needs 20 carries a game, put him in a single back offense and give him the ball 11-12 times a game (average)

Lynn brought the square peg in for the round hole and gave away the hammer to make him fit, and some wrenches, pliers and screw drivers. Toolbox was left with a monkey wrench and duck tape for several years.(baling wire was acquired later in free agency)

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:
    I always wondered why my dad (former season ticket holder) hated Herschel... "He tip-toes to the line and falls over!"

He didn't tip-toe to the line. He hit the line on the run, which is why when he came here he stood farther back behind the line.

The OC fucked up big-time with that move. He never could admit he was wrong & let Herschel run the way Herschel ran best.
    That would make Herschel uncoachable wouldn't it

Walker need to get the ball over 250 time to have a 1000 yard season, that is something he didn't get with the Vikes, his yards per carry @ 4.2 in 90 & 92, this was also his career average.

So I guess what you're saying then is AD is un-coachable? He runs upright & gets a lot of yards doing it. How many yards do you think he'd get if he ran down lower?

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And what is wrong with 4.2 yards per carry? That's only a half yard less per carry than what Robert Smith accomplished.

I guess in your eyes he was mediocre also.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:

The OC fucked up big-time with that move. He never could admit he was wrong & let Herschel run the way Herschel ran best.

Walker need to get the ball over 250 time to have a 1000 yard season, that is something he didn't get with the Vikes, his yards per carry @ 4.2 in 90 & 92, this was also his career average.

So I guess what you're saying then is AD is un-coachable? He runs upright & gets a lot of yards doing it. How many yards do you think he'd get if he ran down lower?

Who says he has to run lower, he can square up and lower his shoulders to take on a defender no problem.
    He was pretty low when Harris hit him in the knee.

Are you looking for orange in an apple crate? ;D

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:

And what is wrong with 4.2 yards per carry? That's only a half yard less per carry than what Robert Smith accomplished.

I guess in your eyes he was mediocre also.
    read the entire post, he needed more carries, which the Vikes didn't give him.

Smith was able to stay with one team without being released and did have 4 season with 1000 + yards so that is an important half yard a carry

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "sirweeze" wrote:

Who says he has to run lower, he can square up and lower his shoulders to take on a defender no problem.

Obviously you missed my point. If you take a RB & make him change his running style, you're going to get different results.

The problem with AD's upright running is he's more susceptible to injury.

We are talking about changing the running styles of both RBs. An apples to apples comparison.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=sirweeze link=topic=43038.msg737157#msg737157 date=1205076255]

Obviously you missed my point. If you take a RB & make him change his running style, you're going to get different results.

The problem with AD's upright running is he's more susceptible to injury.

We are talking about changing the running styles of both RBs. An apples to apples comparison.
    [/quote]

If Walker needed 2-3 extra steps to be a back was he slower, did he lack proper foot work to accelerate or did he need the extra time to read the line, Walker was fast 100 m time 10.22.
    Vision issue with Walker was that he had problems reading the field unless he was farther back and that isn’t really a style and vision can’t be coach I guess as we have seen with Troy Williamson.

As far as being coachable (there was a smiley next to that remark) Walker was released by the Vikes, Eagles, and Giants and only the Cowboys were able to trade him deciding to keep Dorsett.
    Walker also admits to having Multiple Personality Disorder so he may have just need extra coaches. ???

While looking up information on Walker I ran across an article stating Herschel plagued by bad luck.
    Article was written in 1992
    Let's Argue -- Deal Herschel Walker to the Patsies
    Column by Mike Duffy
    and Andrew Heitner
    The Tech
    12-8-92

"...The Herschel Factor. Bad luck seems to have followed Herschel "Jay" Walker throughout his career.... He moved on to the Cowboys and Vikings, turning playoff teams into cellar dwellers. Both teams, now cleansed of Walker, are back atop their respective divisions."
    After leaving Georgia early to go to the USFL and the New Jersey Generals the team ran into problems and Trump bought them, league folded and ended Herschel's 3 years in the USFL.

Walker then travelled to the Cowboys, who in 85 were 10-5 but when Herschel came on board went 7-9, 7-8, 3-13, 1-15 the year they traded him then started to improve.

The then Vikings had gone 11-5 the season before, Herschel joined the team and went 10-6, 6-10, 8-8 released Walker and improved to 11-5 the next season.

Herschel’s next stop the Eagles a team that 10-6 team that did improve Herschel's first year to 11-5 but crashed to 8-8 and 7-9 releasing Walker and bouncing back to 10-6 seasoning 95.

It was in 96 I read an article in SI about Walker that ran through some of the bad luck that had followed Herschel's career in football and made a remark about how Herschel stating he was adding depth to the Giants but with his Georgia accent it sounded like “death”. Well the 94 Giant were 9-7, the now Walkered 95 Giants would be 5-11.
    Herschel was released and the Giants improved to 6-11, not much improvement but they did continue to improve to 10-5-1 the next year.

Time to go back to the Cowboys, a team that was the defending SB champs and had gone 12-4 in the regular season.
    They ended up 10-6 with Walker coming back; slipping to 6-10 in 97 and Herschel retired and went bobsledding.
    Cowboys went 10-6 the following season.

Now I know one guy can’t kill a league or destroy a team on his own, other key players, coaches and draft picks leaving and bad finances aren’t his fault.
    But he does seem to have some bad luck following him.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Mike Lynn set the Vikings back years with that trade.
    The Vikings traded for a classic I back.
    Gave up everything including the kitchen sink to get him.
    Then instead of forming the offense around him they tried to make him fit into an offense that did not include an I formation running back.
    His best game was his first game against the Packers.
    He did not even know most of the playbook yet.
    They just had him in the backfield 8 yards deep gave him the ball, and let him go.
    However, that success was short lived.
    Once he learned the playbook was when the Vikings tried to make him fit into their offense.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

so what happened to Lynn?... was he fired shortly after, retire or what??... i was a fan but only 9

He went on to kill the World league of Football

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast