He has to give me good reason to fire him

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Please extend Chilly's Contract

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52648.msg979252#msg979252 date=1249481120]
    If chilly can do well this season, I'd love him back.
    That means that he's the coach we hoped he was when we signed him.
    However, if he doesn't do well, all that means is he can put together a good team, just can't run it.
    That is an issue, as many coaches are capable of doing that same thing.
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.
    Yes, some narrow-minded Childress-loathers want to ascribe that success to Adrian Peterson "dropping into his lap", but I, personally don't.

The cupboard was bare when Childress took over from Tice.
    Under Childress's leadership, the Vikings (as SIA noted) have put better players on the field and have dropped a lot of chaff (Dwight Smith, Ciatrick Fason, Jermaine Wiggins, Marcus Robinson, to name a few) from the roster.

Top-to-bottom, this is a better team that has steadily improved to the point where my expectations are high - and that's NOT all dependent on one player as it often was during the Tice era.
    Ask anyone who watched football with me during those years - whether or not the team won was all dependent on (IMO) if Randy was interested or not.

=Z=
    I agree with that, but if he goes 11-5, and loses against the #5 or 6 seed in the playoffs again, it will be hard to convince many he deserves yet another shot.
    Any great coach with this team could do great things.
    Chilly has a chance to show he's a great coach.
    He needs to win.
    coming close doesn't cut it anymore.
    I don't care what he record is this year. He must win a playoff game.
    I'm not going to put anyones future on 1 game, ever.
    +1

Scenario:
    the Vikings are 10-5, clinch the division but (against the 10-5 NYG on 1/3/10) need to win the final game of the season to clinch the #2 seed in the NFC.
    So AD plays.
    And gets hurt - hurt enough so that the he will not be available during the 1st playoff game.
    The Vikings lose to the Giants, so they are the #3 seed.
    Should Childress be fired if they lose that playoff game?
    I think not.

=Z=
    [/quote]

I agree.

The highly regarded and revered Bill Cowher took something like 14 years to win the big one. He had several playoff appearences and won playoff games.
    Patience.

What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52648.msg979252#msg979252 date=1249481120]
    However, if he doesn't do well, all that means is he can put together a good team, just can't run it.
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.
    Yes, some narrow-minded Childress-loathers want to ascribe that success to Adrian Peterson "dropping into his lap", but I, personally don't.

Under Childress's leadership, the Vikings (as SIA noted) have put better players on the field and have dropped a lot of chaff (Dwight Smith, Ciatrick Fason, Jermaine Wiggins, Marcus Robinson, to name a few) from the roster.

Top-to-bottom, this is a better team that has steadily improved to the point where my expectations are high - and that's NOT all dependent on one player as it often was during the Tice era.
    Ask anyone who watched football with me during those years - whether or not the team won was all dependent on (IMO) if Randy was interested or not.

=Z=
    I agree with that, but if he goes 11-5, and loses against the #5 or 6 seed in the playoffs again, it will be hard to convince many he deserves yet another shot.
    He needs to win.
    +1

Scenario:
    the Vikings are 10-5, clinch the division but (against the 10-5 NYG on 1/3/10) need to win the final game of the season to clinch the #2 seed in the NFC.
    So AD plays.
    And gets hurt - hurt enough so that the he will not be available during the 1st playoff game.
    I think not.

=Z=
    [/quote]

Who said anything about being fired? He has this year and next left on his contract. I am willing to let him ride that out regardless of what happens this year. Plus one player should not crush this team. Taylor is more than capable of being a #1. He has done it before. There are 52 other people on this team. Are you saying that Chillys success rides on one guy? That is not what I got from another post of yours. Yet that seems like what you are doing here. Again, Chilly MUST win a playoff game.

"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

This is a tough one for me, I'm really of mixed opinions...

On one hand, we have assembled a LOT of talent... however it's really the FO who assembles talent more so then the coach.
    The coach really molds and gels the talent provided by the FO... But then again, it's really the coordinators and position coaches who are responsible for their units and players, developing them, developing schemes that fit them, etc.
    I guess coaching is like everything... the Coach gets far too much credit when things go right (i.e. so and so won a SB) and far too much blame when things go wrong.

While I do believe the Vikings are improving and I do believe we see incremental improvement in our young players that can be attributed to coaching, we are moving at a less then diserable pace.
    I don't mind steadily moving forward but the fear is you don't realize where the cap is, the peak, until a much later date.
    Do we really want to be the San Diego Chargers of the NFC?
    A good team, full of talent, decent coach, good FO, but just can't seem to get over that hump?
    I believe the answer is no, we as Vikings fans deserve more then that by now, we're way over-due for the next level, the top of the heap, the Super Bowl victory.

In that vein, I believe the expectation needs to be on Childress to win in the playoffs.
    The playoffs bring out the peak of pressure and the best of opponents.
    Childress and staff need to prove they can perform under those circumstances with a playoff win.
    People still bitch about the Eagles loss but if I remember correctly, Vegas did favor them.
    Regardless of Vegas, purple goggles or not, I believe we have enough talent to compete against any team in the NFL in the playoffs.
    It's the coaches job to assemble that talent in a way that leads to victory.

The last concern I have is in Chilly's coordinators.
    While I believe he can admit mistakes at the player level (remember, Chilly benched TJ, you know, the one people say is "his guy") and he and the FO did go after Favre and at least thought about Cutler, I'm not sure he can admit the same mistakes at his coaching staff level.
    The prime example was our Special Teams coach.
    Now no one knows what would have happened if he didn't accept the Rams job or even if he was "encouraged" to accept that job, but it was my understanding he was returning to the Vikings even after "leading" the unit to an NFL record number of returns given up.
    When any unit performs that badly, heads need to roll.
    I understand the coach doesn't tackle, etc, but still, heads MUST roll.
    Same can be said for our O Line coach and even our WR coach.
    I don't see enough improvement out of those areas to make me believe we have solid coaching talent helping our players.
    Childress seems to believe continuity trumps any talent improvement and I strongly disagree.
    While continuity IS very important, if you can replace a C or D Level coach with someone who's a solid A, you go for it, continuity be darned!

I like Chilly, more, I like where the team is going.
    I want to see him win in the playoffs.
    I would wait to extend him until he does.
    He's got 2 years to do it.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=52648.msg979258#msg979258 date=1249481399]
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.

=Z=
    He needs to win.
    +1

Scenario:
    So AD plays.
    I think not.

=Z=
    [/quote]

Who said anything about being fired? He has this year and next left on his contract. I am willing to let him ride that out regardless of what happens this year. Plus one player should not crush this team. Taylor is more than capable of being a #1. He has done it before. There are 52 other people on this team. Are you saying that Chillys success rides on one guy? That is not what I got from another post of yours. Yet that seems like what you are doing here. Again, Chilly MUST win a playoff game.

"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    [/quote]

Here's 185 pages on "Childress must be fired".
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=37919.0

And the extra quote you added is something CMac has said multiple times in multiple threads.

And you wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Or what?
    No extension?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Interesting.
    I do agree that Childress has brought the team a long way from where it was.
    And I think he is absolutely a better coach than Tice was.
    But I don't know if he has earned an extension as of right now.
    This season will be a good measurement for that IMHO.
    Another NFC North title and I think he will have earned it.

I still can't believe that C Mac hasn't posted here...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Storm is offline Pro-Bowler

I think the Vikings need to extend his contract by another 10 years regardless of what he does this year. Because stability is what matters and Cowher took 14 years to win SB. So yeah, lets give him another 11 years to get there.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Storm" wrote:
    I think the Vikings need to extend his contract by another 10 years regardless of what he does this year. Because stability is what matters and Cowher took 14 years to win SB. So yeah, lets give him another 11 years to get there.
    Cowher also made the playoffs something like 11 out of those 14 years, and has a winning postseason record, something Childress can't say.
    and 10 years?!!!!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

If we fail to take the NFC North title this season, I believe our office will have to take a good hard look at Chilly and the rest of our coaching staff.
    I believe some heads will roll, Chilly's being first to do so, if we don't take the North.
    Only thing that might save him is if we did go into the playoffs as a wild card and we win at least 2 games there.
    If no show in the playoffs, Chilly is gone.

Now, if we do take the North, as I believe we will, I'de be all for extending Chilly's contract, even if we lost our first playoff showing again.
    Unless
    we got totaly ass whooped and it truly showed it was due to coaching blunders.
    I can swallow a tough, hard fought game, and losing that game.

Personaly, I'll be very upset and suprised if we don't make the NFC Championship game this season.
    We have the team and players and Coaching to get us there.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=52648.msg979259#msg979259 date=1249481573]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=52648.msg979258#msg979258 date=1249481399]
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.

=Z=
    He needs to win.
    +1

Scenario:
    So AD plays.
    I think not.

=Z=
    [/quote]

"Zeus" wrote:

=Z=
    [/quote]

Here's 185 pages on "Childress must be fired".
    http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=37919.0

And the extra quote you added is something CMac has said multiple times in multiple threads.

And you wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    Or what?
    No extension?

=Z=
    [/quote]

Yes, no extension. Why would we extend his contract if he failed to win a playoff game AGAIN, especially at home. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast