Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Please extend Chilly's Contract

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    He's probably earned it, but I'm not sure it's the best move for the vikings. Many hall of fame coaches don't have jobs and will likely be available. I would definetly wait until the end of this season.
    If a change is made at the top I'd rather pass on some of those unemployeed names and look at giving Frazier a chance to take over the team.
    Leslie might be in his last year already, but he already knows the team and would probably do less gutting of the structure than a body coming in from the outside and redoing multiple schemes.
    While the offense could use some sprucing up/tuning/new playbook, I don't want to see the defense overhauled and possibly converted to a 3-4 and to go through 2 or more years of having the scheme gell.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    He's probably earned it, but I'm not sure it's the best move for the vikings. Many hall of fame coaches don't have jobs and will likely be available. I would definetly wait until the end of this season.
    If a change is made at the top I'd rather pass on some of those unemployeed names and look at giving Frazier a chance to take over the team.
    Leslie might be in his last year already, but he already knows the team and would probably do less gutting of the structure than a body coming in from the outside and redoing multiple schemes.
    While the offense could use some sprucing up/tuning/new playbook, I don't want to see the defense overhauled and possibly converted to a 3-4 and to go through 2 or more years of having the scheme gell.
    Fraizer?
    I think he'd be a terrible HC.
    Not a fan of him at all.
    We need a guy like Tomlin, who comes in, lets his coordinators do the coordinating, and just coaches the team as a whole.... O wait, we had a guy like him.

then I guess we'd need coordinators who can actually coordinate.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

It's not just the head coach. It's the entire coaching staff.
    Childress has done well in assembling a pretty good team.
    But there are still issues.
    Let's see how things go this year before we talk extension.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

No way. He has this year and next year left on his contract. I want to see the QB guru bring us a QB first.

Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    No way. He has this year and next year left on his contract. I want to see the QB guru bring us a QB first.
    good point, why extend when he's still got 2 years left?
    Unless he does something to lose his job, leave it as it is.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    If chilly can do well this season, I'd love him back.
    That means that he's the coach we hoped he was when we signed him.
    However, if he doesn't do well, all that means is he can put together a good team, just can't run it.
    That is an issue, as many coaches are capable of doing that same thing.
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.
    Yes, some narrow-minded Childress-loathers want to ascribe that success to Adrian Peterson "dropping into his lap", but I, personally don't.

The cupboard was bare when Childress took over from Tice.
    Under Childress's leadership, the Vikings (as SIA noted) have put better players on the field and have dropped a lot of chaff (Dwight Smith, Ciatrick Fason, Jermaine Wiggins, Marcus Robinson, to name a few) from the roster.

Top-to-bottom, this is a better team that has steadily improved to the point where my expectations are high - and that's NOT all dependent on one player as it often was during the Tice era.
    Ask anyone who watched football with me during those years - whether or not the team won was all dependent on (IMO) if Randy was interested or not.

=Z=
    I agree with that, but if he goes 11-5, and loses against the #5 or 6 seed in the playoffs again, it will be hard to convince many he deserves yet another shot.
    Any great coach with this team could do great things.
    Chilly has a chance to show he's a great coach.
    He needs to win.
    coming close doesn't cut it anymore.
    I don't care what his record is this year. He must win a playoff game.

Blog Entries

"marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    However, if he doesn't do well, all that means is he can put together a good team, just can't run it.
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.
    Yes, some narrow-minded Childress-loathers want to ascribe that success to Adrian Peterson "dropping into his lap", but I, personally don't.

Under Childress's leadership, the Vikings (as SIA noted) have put better players on the field and have dropped a lot of chaff (Dwight Smith, Ciatrick Fason, Jermaine Wiggins, Marcus Robinson, to name a few) from the roster.

Top-to-bottom, this is a better team that has steadily improved to the point where my expectations are high - and that's NOT all dependent on one player as it often was during the Tice era.
    Ask anyone who watched football with me during those years - whether or not the team won was all dependent on (IMO) if Randy was interested or not.

=Z=
    I agree with that, but if he goes 11-5, and loses against the #5 or 6 seed in the playoffs again, it will be hard to convince many he deserves yet another shot.
    He needs to win.
    I don't care what he record is this year. He must win a playoff game.
    yup.

kirbyfan is offline Waterboy

#1 he HAS to win a playoff game, regardless of his record.

#2 He really needs to pull at least 10 wins IMO to keep his job AND add a playoff win to that.
    Great Site:
    www.VikingsToday.com
    Check it out!!!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.

=Z=
    He needs to win.
    I'm not going to put anyones future on 1 game, ever.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    6-10, 8-8, 10-6.

=Z=
    He needs to win.
    I'm not going to put anyones future on 1 game, ever.
    +1

Scenario:
    the Vikings are 10-5, clinch the division but (against the 10-5 NYG on 1/3/10) need to win the final game of the season to clinch the #2 seed in the NFC.
    So AD plays.
    And gets hurt - hurt enough so that the he will not be available during the 1st playoff game.
    The Vikings lose to the Giants, so they are the #3 seed.
    Should Childress be fired if they lose that playoff game?
    I think not.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast