Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Please extend Chilly's Contract

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    I like a lot of things about Childress, but not enough to make me think he is a good coach.

- I like the scheme, but both the WCO and Cover 2 are proven schemes that our known to work. I give him credit for running them correctly, but he is unable to amend or invent to make these schemes even better. The wildcat is a perfect example. Is Chilly smart enough to use the Wildcat? Sure. Was he smart enough to INVENT it? Hell no.

- The team is plagued by the simplest of mistakes. Mistakes which will lead to losses at any level, no just the pros. That is the sign of a bad coach.

- A great eye for talent but the coaching staff is simply terrible at developing it. Every stud on our team was a stud before he arrived here. Late round picks never turn out into surprises. The supposed QB genius hs his guy progressing slower than molasses. Where is our Willie Parker? Our Lance Briggs? Our Tom Brady?

That Belicheck comparison is ridiculous. He won a championship in his second year coaching the Patriots. Sure a .450 winning percentage with the Browns caused some doubts, but a coach with 5 years of head coaching experience is jsut as qualified, if not more qualified than a career assistant.
    Agree with everything but that one......

Gordon was a nice suprise.
    To bad about the injury.
    Herrera is playing better than expected.
    EJ has been a nice suprise since the new regime moved him back to MLB.
    Love the pooh out of Griff.

Seriously though, there have been some head scratchers as well (AA comes to mind immediately)however, how quick do you expect a coaching staff to develop late round picks into "Studs"?
    Hererra was a Tice Product, I recall people calling for him to start long ago.
    Glad he's turning out nicely.
    and I can't really give Chilly much credit for EJ and Griff playing well.
    Chilly doesn't coach the defense, I'd give more credit to their respective coaches.
    Who gives a crap who's product he was.
    How did he play under Tice?
    EJ and Herrara are fine examples of players the other staff had all but give up on.
    Funny how alot of people forget about what was being said about EJ after his first stint at MLB and his play at OLB.

As to EJ and Griffs development. Like it or not, the Chiller has alot of say in the guy he taps to run the D.

Allison........ it is unfortunate they let him go but we have a ton of guys a WR.
    We are going to have to make space.
    Looks like they think that Jaymar is more worthy of developing at this point.
    Rice, Harvin and BB aren't going anywhere and Wade is a good vet to have around in the mix.

You are right about EJ.
    I thought about bringing that up earlier in the thread, then forgot about it.
    He was forgotten about by the coaches and the fans.
    We were righting him off. "He can't cover the pass" and
    "he can't get back in coverage" and "he is not smart enough to be a MLB" were the things I remember hearing.
    Yesterday NFLN showed some video from camp and they showed the hit by EJ on AD when tackling was off limits so to speak.
    He just couldn't help himself.
    It was more of a hard tap than a tackle but the guy is chomping at the bit to start tackling.

Mayock said that the tempo of camp was excellent.
    I attribute that to the veteran team and the coaching staff.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    More coaching thoughts:

Unsuccessful (some truth mostly sarcastic) Coaches:
    The Walrus (Holmgren) in Seattle

:
    Gibbs in Washington (2nd time)

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:
    Parcells @ Cowboys ( he fooled me on this one, I thought he primed them for success)

:
    Reid in Philly (what a loser to go to the NFC championship 5 times and lose)
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

Shula the last 20 year of his career, never won the Super Bowl.

:

What about Fischer in Tenn?
    Is he the next Cowher, all he has to do is win the Super Bowl and he will be great.
    Fischer has won just under 60% of his games and isn't an elite coach because he hasn't won the big one at least once.

Just because you win a Super Bowl doesn't mean that you will win another one with another team. See the list above.

Just because you haven't won a Super Bowl yet, doesn't mean you can't win one eventually (Cowher and possibly Fischer)

The smartest coach was Walsh, he got out before he could tarnish himself.
    Shula won with the Colts then twice with Miami.
    He then went on to coach 20 year of mostly winning football without the Super Bowl.
    He even had a hall of fame QB from 1983 to 1999.

I still consider Fischer and Reid very successful coaches.
    I think Parcells was successful in Dallas even though his record wasn't great in Dallas.

If I was going to pick one coach that Chilly might resemble or even has a chance to resemble, that would be Vermeil.
    I will counter this argument with a single name...

Mike Sherman.

Has one of the best winning percentages in Packer history.. yet he can't secure another job in the pros and is failing miserably in college.

Hell of a nice guy, bled the Packer colors truly.. yet in a lot of ways took a superbowl caliber team for two years and handcuffed them with piss poor decisions in the crunch and some mind numbing play calls...

Wasn't a horrible coach, but wasn't ever going to take the Packers to the championship they desired.. he was too stubborn to admit he made mistakes and refused to control the loose cannon at QB.

Much of the same that I see of Chilly... but I am not arguing.. I want to see a few more years of Chilly until AP prime years are past.
    [size=20pt]HELLO!!!!!!![/size]

When even the Packer fans recognize that the only thing that can stop (and HAS stopped) Peterson is Chiller, well....I can't imagine any justification for keeping the Chilled one around.
    But you supporters keep running your pie-holes.
    Keep blathering on about building success and slow and steady progress....

...I'll be belly up to the bar with a beer, laughing at your silly carcasses and calling you derogatory names.

Caine

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

"Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:
    Parcells @ Cowboys ( he fooled me on this one, I thought he primed them for success)

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Is he the next Cowher, all he has to do is win the Super Bowl and he will be great.
    Fischer has won just under 60% of his games and isn't an elite coach because he hasn't won the big one at least once.

Just because you win a Super Bowl doesn't mean that you will win another one with another team. See the list above.

Just because you haven't won a Super Bowl yet, doesn't mean you can't win one eventually (Cowher and possibly Fischer)

He then went on to coach 20 year of mostly winning football without the Super Bowl.

I think Parcells was successful in Dallas even though his record wasn't great in Dallas.

If I was going to pick one coach that Chilly might resemble or even has a chance to resemble, that would be Vermeil.

Mike Sherman.

Has one of the best winning percentages in Packer history.. yet he can't secure another job in the pros and is failing miserably in college.

Hell of a nice guy, bled the Packer colors truly.. yet in a lot of ways took a superbowl caliber team for two years and handcuffed them with piss poor decisions in the crunch and some mind numbing play calls...

Wasn't a horrible coach, but wasn't ever going to take the Packers to the championship they desired.. he was too stubborn to admit he made mistakes and refused to control the loose cannon at QB.

Much of the same that I see of Chilly... but I am not arguing.. I want to see a few more years of Chilly until AP prime years are past.

When even the Packer fans recognize that the only thing that can stop (and HAS stopped) Peterson is Chiller, well....I can't imagine any justification for keeping the Chilled one around.

...I'll be belly up to the bar with a beer, laughing at your silly carcasses and calling you derogatory names.

Caine
    Somehow I think you would feel the same way if the Chiller wins the next two SB's.
    I'm not the guy's biggest fan myself, but I think he has opened his mind a bit over the last few years and has grown as a HC.
    Whether he will get to the point that makes me confident in him or not is still unknown.
    But I will give him credit for improving
    our club over the last few years.
    He has to do it again this year, but he just might.....might.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Mike Sherman.

Caine
    Somehow I think you would feel the same way if the Chiller wins the next two SB's.
    I'm not the guy's biggest fan myself, but I think he has opened his mind a bit over the last few years and has grown as a HC.
    Whether he will get to the point that makes me confident in him or not is still unknown.

There was a guy in my school with a mental disability.
    Over the years he's grown a bit as a person and student.
    I give him credit for overcoming barriers, as he eventually graduated.
    Does that make him a scholar?
    No.

Same can be said for Chilly.
    He came on, terrible as a coach.
    He's made some improvements, despite having a #1 run offense/defense (the things he said win games... ironic isn't it?)
    Has superstars at lots of positions, one of the more talented teams in the league, yet still struggles.
    He's getting better, I'll give him credit, but does that make him a good coach?
    No.

douginc is offline Starter

I'm not going to claim I know for certain, since I'm not an expert football mind, but personally, I don't believe Childress is right for us as a coach down the line.
    I would absolutely love it if he stayed on as a talent evaluator, because from that aspect, I am through the roof happy with the talent he has assessed and brought aboard this team.
    Chester Taylor is one of the most underrated backs in all football.
    Before him, remember our shitty RB corp?
    We had Michael Bennett as a starter.
    Yes, that still gives me a sour taste.
    Getting AP in the draft wasn't 'dumb luck' either.
    If it was just him falling to us at #7, the Falcons would have taken him at #6 instead of Safety Laron Landry.

But, the problem I have with Childress is that I believe no matter what level of talent he has, he cannot be creative on the field with his play calling and schemes.
    I watched the Cardinals intently during the playoffs since I have relatives in Arizona and Iowa (Iowans still pull for Kurt Warner).
    Their team was not even close, talent wise, to our team.
    Certainly not on the defensive side.
    But their offensive play calls were incredible.
    They were innovative and confusing to the defenses.
    I rarely see that from our team, and we have a potential H.O.F. in the backfield even.

Just my opinion, and I hope to hell I'm wrong, and the Vikes can sometime soon get the rings all of us are dying to see.
    I agree with the other posters who showed that many coaches are wrongfully considered failures because of an inability to win the big one.
    Dennis Green was not that bad a head coach.
    Had he won it all in 98, he'd be a legend.
    Hell, I'd have made a statue out of him.
    Instead, he's quickly forgotten.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Mike Sherman.

Caine

No.

He's made some improvements, despite having a #1 run offense/defense (the things he said win games... ironic isn't it?)
    Has superstars at lots of positions, one of the more talented teams in the league, [size=10pt]yet still struggles[/size].
    No.
    10-6/Div win isn't struggling my friend.

Is it a SB?
    Nope, but hell, how many teams won the SB last year?

Long story short, am I 100% happy with him?
    No, I think he really needs to look at his staff and thier process by which they prep this team, however, I can honestly say, that this is the best team I've seen in a long time.

We have a damn good defense, and what looks to be a offense with alot of nice pieces (most have enough experience this year) to compliment that defense.

Again, been a long time since I have seen a team like this.
    Fix some consistency issues with respect to "Penalties/Poor execution" and we should take the next step this year.
    Then throw in the whole "Big Picture" perspective that this team is only gonna get better, not worse because of the efforts of our FO to find/add nice pieces via the draft and FA when necessary and the outlook looks promising for years to come instead of the "Built to win now" mentality alot have come to believe in over the last regime.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Mike Sherman.

Caine

No.

Has superstars at lots of positions, one of the more talented teams in the league, yet still struggles.
    No.
    You almost got there IBP.
    IMO we are in a better position going into this year than we have been in a long time and part of that credit needs to go to Childress.
    Now, until we have a situation like New England, we can all bitch and moan that we deserve better.
    Unfortunately, superstar HC's are like superstar QB's.
    There are not that many in the league and you try to do what you can to make the most out of what is available.

If Childress doesn't improve the team this year yet again, then he probably will get his walking papers.
    But if he does improve the team, even if we don't win it all, he probably deserves to stay.

I would like our HC to be better than what we have, but it could be a lot worse.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"douginc" wrote:
    I'm not going to claim I know for certain, since I'm not an expert football mind, but personally, I don't believe Childress is right for us as a coach down the line.
    I would absolutely love it if he stayed on as a talent evaluator, because from that aspect, I am through the roof happy with the talent he has assessed and brought aboard this team.
    Chester Taylor is one of the most underrated backs in all football.
    Before him, remember our poohie RB corp?
    We had Michael Bennett as a starter.
    Yes, that still gives me a sour taste.
    Getting AP in the draft wasn't 'dumb luck' either.
    If it was just him falling to us at #7, the Falcons would have taken him at #6 instead of Safety Laron Landry.

But, the problem I have with Childress is that I believe no matter what level of talent he has, he cannot be creative on the field with his play calling and schemes.
    I watched the Cardinals intently during the playoffs since I have relatives in Arizona and Iowa (Iowans still pull for Kurt Warner).
    Their team was not even close, talent wise, to our team.
    Certainly not on the defensive side.
    But their offensive play calls were incredible.
    They were innovative and confusing to the defenses.
    I rarely see that from our team, and we have a potential H.O.F. in the backfield even.

Just my opinion, and I hope to hell I'm wrong, and the Vikes can sometime soon get the rings all of us are dying to see.
    I agree with the other posters who showed that many coaches are wrongfully considered failures because of an inability to win the big one.
    Dennis Green was not that bad a head coach.
    Had he won it all in 98, he'd be a legend.
    Hell, I'd have made a statue out of him.
    Instead, he's quickly forgotten.
    Good post, however, the Chiller isn't the talent evaluator.

He, as the HC, articulates to the talent evaluator, what type of player(s) he needs and the talent evaluator (and his scouts) go out and find several options either as FA or Draftees and they get his approval.

Then the talent evaluator tries to draft/sign the best of that bunch.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    [quote author=snowinapril link=topic=52648.msg980038#msg980038 date=1249610281]
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Mike Sherman.

Caine

No.

Has superstars at lots of positions, one of the more talented teams in the league, [size=10pt]yet still struggles[/size].
    No.
    10-6/Div win isn't struggling my friend.

Is it a SB?
    Nope, but hell, how many teams won the SB last year? [/quote]
    No, thats not struggling, but we're a much talented team than we play.

For fun, and this is my opinion, but lets see how talented we are compared to other playoff teams;

Philly - close, their coaching though helps them play better than they are
    Carolina - less talented
    Atlanta - less talented
    Arizona - less talented
    Giants - Close

Steelers - More Talented
    Titans - Less Talented (I've said it all season, IMO, the titan's were not nearly as good as advertised, as shown by their early exit)
    Colts - more talented
    Chargers - less talented
    Dolphins - less talented
    Ravens - more talented

IMO, we ahve the players to be one of the top teams in the league.
    If we had even one coach worth a damn, we'd be there.

Long story short, am I 100% happy with him?
    No, I think he really needs to look at his staff and thier process by which they prep this team, however, I can honestly say, that this is the best team I've seen in a long time.
    I agree with this.
    This is a great looking Group of players.
    Won't be a great team until either our coordinators and HC step it up, or take a step out the door.

We have a damn good defense, and what looks to be a offense with alot of nice pieces (most have enough experience this year) to compliment that defense.
    Think of it like a model.
    You open the box, and everything is there for you.
    You need a person to put it all together.
    Some people can make a work of art, some people can make a piece of crap.

I will give Chilly a little bit of leniency.
    Co-#1 reason for us not playing well, despite all our playmakers is the bottleneck at QB.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    [quote author=snowinapril link=topic=52648.msg980038#msg980038 date=1249610281]
    More coaching thoughts:

:

:
    Parcells @ Jets

:

:
    :
    Seifert in Carolina

:
    Vermeil in KC

:
    Ditka in NO

:

:

Mike Sherman.

Caine

No.

No.
    You almost got there IBP.
    IMO we are in a better position going into this year than we have been in a long time and part of that credit needs to go to Childress.
    Now, until we have a situation like New England, we can all beeyatch and moan that we deserve better.
    Unfortunately, superstar HC's are like superstar QB's.
    There are not that many in the league and you try to do what you can to make the most out of what is available.

If Childress doesn't improve the team this year yet again, then he probably will get his walking papers.
    But if he does improve the team, even if we don't win it all, he probably deserves to stay.

I would like our HC to be better than what we have, but it could be a lot worse.
    [/quote]

I am going to add to your post.

I saw an interview with Kelly Clemmens (NYJ).
    They asked him about the QB competition.
    He said, I have been here before.
    I know the trick and pony show.
    I know the offense.
    All I have to do is try to make myself better and when I show that hopefully I will be at the top of the competition.
    That was paraphrased.
    That is where TJ should be.
    Sage is on that learning curve trying to figure out the pony show.
    Sage has been around the league and should pick it up quickly, we hope!

I know that Chilly has taken it upon himself to "teach" the QB position.
    He is a bit behind schedule and I am sure he would have like to have had TJ and himself to the position that Clemmens says he is in, which is just doing minor thing to improve.
    I am also sure that Chilly and Bevell wish they had at least one season in the past 3 where a QB was able to play the whole season.
    The one QB that had the largest stretch is no longer on this team.
    Some previous post suggested that Sage was Rick's guy.
    Not keeping Frerotte because he isn't the long term solution might have been a mistake by not keeping the guy with the most experience on the field last year.
    Chilly may have screwed up by yanking him and putting TJ in but I really think he wanted to see what TJ was made of at the end of the season.

I would have liked to have had Chilly have a QB play the whole season and evaluate him.
    It is unfortunate, but sometime people aren't afforded those kind of luxuries, like time and consistency. Walking papers might be in store for him if he doesn't improve.
    It may be deemed "not fast enough."

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast