Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!?

Disclaimer - I don't actually think we are going to the playoffs this year. I love this team, I have seen a LOT of improvement, and I think we are on the right track. But I see us finishing 8-8 at best. Next year I can see us seriously talking playoff scenarios in week 11 (playoff game at TCF?).

But...

I am still a blind homer, and the homer in me knows that we are on the bubble AND we technically control our own destiny since we have to play both the Bears and Packers twice still. Believe it or not, there is actually a pretty good chance that we get into the game.

I think the wild card teams will be 10-6 this year. To reach that mark, we need to go 4-2 in this final stretch. Let's assume we beat the Bears and Packers at home (certainly possible, especially with the Bears wounded and the Packers game being a potentially meaningless week 17 game). That means we need to win 2 of the other four games - Bears, Packers, Rams, Texans, ALL away games.

That is still a pretty tall order. I think it starts with the Bears game this weekend. Cutler may or may not be in, and their defense is reeling a bit. I think they are vulnerable. I am concerned that we never play that well in Chicago. I think that cow pasture they call a field has something to do with it - teams built around speed have a hard time there.

The other game that is in the realm of possibility is St Louis. Their defense is decent this year, but their offense is horrible.

While there is a chance that we beat the Packers or the Texas in their house, that chance is pretty damn small. I actually think those two teams are going to be in the Super Bowl.

So there you have it. If we have any thoughts about watching the Vikings play football in January, it starts with the game against the Bears this weekend. They are vulnerable and coming off from a short week, while we are coming off from a bye. It can happen. SKOL VIKINGS!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Looking forward to the game this week. I expect it to be a good one.

Cutler will probably play if at all possible as Chicago will see this game as a key one to win. Who knows what the Vikings offense will bring, but a conservative hard nosed game that they seem to enjoy might play well here. Minimize mistakes and put a lot of pressure on whoever is in at QB. Bring the right spikes AD. Hopefully Walsh stays on his game, he could be the key to this one.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Come on Viking fans. Don't do it. DO NOT get your hopes up. Don't let this team needlessly break your heart again. Just take a deep breath and say to yourself "this is only a rebuilding year, nothing more, nothing less".

I only see 1 more win on the schedule, Bears at home, but even that one is ify. There's a very real possibility we go 0-6, and at best we go 2-4 which would leave us with a respectable 8-8 record. No way we go 4-2. That would require the Vikings to win 3 or 4 games that they shouldn't and this team just doesn't win games that it shouldn't. We have no problem losing games that we shouldn't, but we rarely win ones that we shouldn't. In the last 15 years combined we maybe beat 4 teams that we shouldn't have, so there's no way we're going to do it 4 times in the final 6 games.

Ok I'm done, I just wanted to elaborate on Nodak's disclaimer a little bit haha.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Disclaimer - I don't actually think we are going to the playoffs this year. I love this team, I have seen a LOT of improvement, and I think we are on the right track. But I see us finishing 8-8 at best. Next year I can see us seriously talking playoff scenarios in week 11 (playoff game at TCF?).

But...

I am still a blind homer, and the homer in me knows that we are on the bubble AND we technically control our own destiny since we have to play both the Bears and Packers twice still. Believe it or not, there is actually a pretty good chance that we get into the game.

I think the wild card teams will be 10-6 this year. To reach that mark, we need to go 4-2 in this final stretch. Let's assume we beat the Bears and Packers at home (certainly possible, especially with the Bears wounded and the Packers game being a potentially meaningless week 17 game). That means we need to win 2 of the other four games - Bears, Packers, Rams, Texans, ALL away games.

That is still a pretty tall order. I think it starts with the Bears game this weekend. Cutler may or may not be in, and their defense is reeling a bit. I think they are vulnerable. I am concerned that we never play that well in Chicago. I think that cow pasture they call a field has something to do with it - teams built around speed have a hard time there.

The other game that is in the realm of possibility is St Louis. Their defense is decent this year, but their offense is horrible.

While there is a chance that we beat the Packers or the Texas in their house, that chance is pretty damn small. I actually think those two teams are going to be in the Super Bowl.

So there you have it. If we have any thoughts about watching the Vikings play football in January, it starts with the game against the Bears this weekend. They are vulnerable and coming off from a short week, while we are coming off from a bye. It can happen. SKOL VIKINGS!
    With the way it's going, Week 17 vs GB is not going to be meaningless. If we are still in it for a shot at the playoffs, obviously we will be fighting for everything. If we still are in it, that will probably mean the Packers are still fighting for the division as well OR a playoff spot.

If we are out of it by then, GB will still be in it fighting for the division or a playoff birth. So... no matter what, week 17 will not be a meaningless game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    With the way it's going, Week 17 vs GB is not going to be meaningless. If we are still in it for a shot at the playoffs, obviously we will be fighting for everything. If we still are in it, that will probably mean the Packers are still fighting for the division as well OR a playoff spot.

If we are out of it by then, GB will still be in it fighting for the division or a playoff birth. So... no matter what, week 17 will not be a meaningless game.
    If the Packers are more than 2 games up on both the bears and us (which I expect), then they won't be fighting for the division or a playoff birth. The only thing they could be fighting for is is seed seed and first round bye. I doubt the division leader from the NFCE is going to be in contention for a bye, so it comes down to whether or not they can catch or lose position to Atl or San Fran. By week 17 seed is often solidified for the top two spots.

It wont be meaningless for the Vikings, but there is a good chance that it is meaningless for the Packers.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    The Vikings are pretenders. After week four teams began to expose Ponder. The Vikings won't win more than one more game after their fiasco in Chicago. St Louis is really the only game I see them having a chance in. The ONE and ONLY way the Vikings have any chance to steal a few games is to put the ball in AD's hands at least 30 to 35 times a game and hope he can rip off some huge runs. Ponder is not capable of stealing a game at this point. He's been exposed for what he is... A weak arm that can't throw into small windows between the hashes, no pocekt presence and can't read a defense from the pocket.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpin9995 View Post
    The Vikings are pretenders. After week four teams began to expose Ponder. The Vikings won't win more than one more game after their fiasco in Chicago. St Louis is really the only game I see them having a chance in. The ONE and ONLY way the Vikings have any chance to steal a few games is to put the ball in AD's hands at least 30 to 35 times a game and hope he can rip off some huge runs. Ponder is not capable of stealing a game at this point. He's been exposed for what he is... A weak arm that can't throw into small windows between the hashes, no pocekt presence and can't read a defense from the pocket.
    Well at least you're looking at it objectively...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Blog Entries
    Well, it is down to winning 2 of the next 3 away games to stay relevant. Packers, Rams, Texans. I guess it is possible, but I would have felt a lot better if we would have beaten the Bears on Sunday.

Truth be told I expect us to lose this weekend to fall to 6-6, which means we will need win out after that if we are going to entertain any hopes. Of course, given the way the Vikings like to surprise us (both good and bad), for all we know we are going to win this weekend...
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Ranger is offline Coach

But...

We're not going to the playoffs this year.

However, this team is already two games better than I thought they'd be, which (to me) speaks highly of the coaching staff and the players themselves.

We're probably going to lose all but one of the remaining games. As long as we're competitive for the lot, I'll be very pleased. The Bears and Packers are really, really good teams. The Bears are an offensive lineman or two from being serious Superbowl contenders, and the Packers are the Packers. Deep and talented enough to win, even with injuries all over the place.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Well, it is down to winning 2 of the next 3 away games to stay relevant. Packers, Rams, Texans. I guess it is possible, but I would have felt a lot better if we would have beaten the Bears on Sunday.

Truth be told I expect us to lose this weekend to fall to 6-6, which means we will need win out after that if we are going to entertain any hopes. Of course, given the way the Vikings like to surprise us (both good and bad), for all we know we are going to win this weekend...
    My take on it is that if you can't beat the good teams to make it in the playoffs, then you shouldn't be in them. I'm not expecting any miracles, but will sit back and see how this team chooses to finish off the year.

I will say that I never expected us to be talking about playoff possibilities this far into the season. Even though we can see a ton of flaws in this team, they are still in the hunt at this point. I think 9-7 will probably claim the final spot, so three more wins will be needed to give MN a chance. Not likely, but not out of the question.

Seattle, TB, and MN sitting at 6-5 with Washington, NO and Dallas at 5-6. NO and TB are probably playing the best of this group at the moment. Seattle is damn near invincible at home (SF, AZ and STL remain), but can't seem to win on the road (CHI and BUF remain), now it looks like their two starting corners might get suspended for 4 games. Dallas, is the classic train wreck, I just don't see them rising to the occasion. TB is playing well but have to go through Denver next week and then NO and Atlanta on the road yet. Washington has NY this week and the Ravens next week. NO's goes to Atlanta tomorrow night and then the Giants the next week.

Seattle is the favorite to take the 6th spot at this point, especially since they own the tiebreaker over MN and TB, but if they stumble it's wide open.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast