Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Playoff Picture

acman1 is offline Rookie
    Giants need to lose to ravens or eagles and Redskins need to win out so they win the division and avoid head to head tiebreaker with Vikes would be the best case.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    As long as we win out... we make playoffs.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Why does it have the Vikings agead of the Giants in the wildcard? The Giants are 7-4 in the conference, better than the Vikings.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    As long as we win out... we make playoffs.
    Not true.

if the Giants win out, they bump us out.

Check out some scenarios: 2012 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios - ESPN

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Why does it have the Vikings agead of the Giants in the wildcard? The Giants are 7-4 in the conference, better than the Vikings.
    Washington wins the tie breaker over Dallas and NY Giants based on head-to-head win percentage. We win the tie breaker over Dallas based on best win percentage in conference games. Divisional tie breaker was initially used to eliminate NY Giants (Dallas wins tie break over NY Giants based on best win percentage in division games)

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Not true.

if the Giants win out, they bump us out.

Check out some scenarios: 2012 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios - ESPN
    Seifert just posted something on his blog based on that Playoff Machine too:

The Vikings, however, DO NOT control their destiny because there are a number of scenarios where they can win their final two games, finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. They would lose a tiebreaker to the Dallas Cowboys (common games) and the New York Giants (conference games) in that scenario

Boiling down NFC North playoff scenarios - NFC North Blog - ESPN
    Last edited by lakehubertviking; 12-16-2012 at 11:03 PM.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer
    The Vikings have by far the most complicated scenario.

For the moment, they are the NFC's sixth seed. For those of you who want to know how they jumped to that spot, ESPN.com's Playoffs Standings page offers a complete explanation.

The Vikings, however, DO NOT control their destiny because there are a number of scenarios where they can win their final two games, finish 10-6 and still miss the playoffs. They would lose a tiebreaker to the Dallas Cowboys (common games) and the New York Giants (conference games) in that scenario.

So the Vikings' easiest path to the playoffs is to win their final two games and have the Cowboys and Giants each lose one game. That would avoid a tiebreaker entirely with those teams, and the Vikings would beat the Bears if both teams are 10-6 because of a better division record.

But according to the Playoff Machine, the Vikings could lose to the Texans next week and remain in contention for a wild-card spot if they can beat the Green Bay Packers in Week 17 and finish 9-7. That would require both the Giants and Cowboys losing in Week 17, as well as the Bears being no better than 9-7.

OK all. Sleep tight. Back with you Monday morning.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    The only way I see it now is for the Vikings to not think about the playoffs and just keep winning. Best bet is to go 2-0 Win out, and let the cards fall where they will....Only thing we can do now for ourselves is to win out...Period.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    The worst possible thing would be to let the Vikings control their own destiny, that never bodes well for us haha. Having said that, you're all just torturing yourselves with this topic.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    The worst possible thing would be to let the Vikings control their own destiny, that never bodes well for us haha. Having said that, you're all just torturing yourselves with this topic.
    I won't be too disappointed if we don't make the playoffs. Never expected us to be in a position where we would even be talking about it this year. That said, I will definitely cheer for them to make the playoffs and win every time they line up.

Getting back to back victories against the Texans and the Packers is a pretty tall order for anyone. They did surprise me going into St. Louis and pulling out a convincing victory though, they never really were threatened in this game and the Rams have been playing very good ball as of late. The Vikings like most teams in the NFL, just need to show up to play and limit their mistakes and they can play with anyone.

I doubt AD has given up on the season and would like nothing better than propel this team into the playoffs. He might just be capable of doing it, espeically if he can convince a few others on the team to play with the same intensity that he does.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast