Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Players you are rooting for to make the team

Who are the players who may be UFA or late round players, former practice squad players or walk ons that you are hoping make the team?

I have a few players that I am starting to bandwagon with now that the preseason is underway.

Mike Mauti.

This guy is just impressing the heck out of me. 3 ACL's and he keeps coming back and for him it's all about football. He is the kind of guy who would suit up and play for free and he is a throwback to an earlier time. I am hoping so badly that he becomes the starting MLB for the team as he looks to have the mindset and the presence to take control of the defense and hold the position for a decade- if he can stay healthy. If his health fails him I hope they keepo him around and get him into coaching.

Gerald Hodges.

If you didn't know that I have a soft spot for Linebackers, you may see a pattern here and second on my list is Gerald Hodges. I am hoping he grows into a role where he fills out the LB squad with Greenway and Mauti for next year. I don't see him making the regular roster but I hope he can be a practice squad guy.

Burton-

The WR position is interesting in that for the first time in years we may actually have enough talent to be a little choosy. Obviously we will have Jennings, Wright and Patterson on the team but I am starting to think the team may be better served to release Simpson and keep some of the young guys who I see developing nicely and who may not have the baggage JS has. I think Burton has enough upside to be worthy of a position on the team at WR.

Rounding out this installment is not a new guy to the team but to the position and that is webb. I want him to succeed because he is modest, willing to do anything and is incredibly athletic.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Joe Webb. I just can't help but root for him. It's probably a long shot. I'm pretty sure he will at least be offered a spot on the practice squad, but I'm not sure he'd make it through waivers.

I wonder what could have been if he had been a WR for the first 3 years of his NFL career.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Webb may make the team as a back up WR and back up QB. He has that going for him. Talk of only keeping Ponder and Cassel. Webb knows our offense too well, he will end up on a division rival to divulge information if we let him go.

Mauti - Team - put a lot of hard work into coming back from injuries
    Baca - Practice - potential
    Bond - Practice - potential
    Ballard - Team - we are deep, knowing we will keep Floyd someone will probably have to go from the D-line he has shown some improvement.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Who are the players who may be UFA or late round players, former practice squad players or walk ons that you are hoping make the team?

I have a few players that I am starting to bandwagon with now that the preseason is underway.

Mike Mauti.

This guy is just impressing the heck out of me. 3 ACL's and he keeps coming back and for him it's all about football. He is the kind of guy who would suit up and play for free and he is a throwback to an earlier time. I am hoping so badly that he becomes the starting MLB for the team as he looks to have the mindset and the presence to take control of the defense and hold the position for a decade- if he can stay healthy. If his health fails him I hope they keepo him around and get him into coaching.

Gerald Hodges.

If you didn't know that I have a soft spot for Linebackers, you may see a pattern here and second on my list is Gerald Hodges. I am hoping he grows into a role where he fills out the LB squad with Greenway and Mauti for next year. I don't see him making the regular roster but I hope he can be a practice squad guy.

Burton-

The WR position is interesting in that for the first time in years we may actually have enough talent to be a little choosy. Obviously we will have Jennings, Wright and Patterson on the team but I am starting to think the team may be better served to release Simpson and keep some of the young guys who I see developing nicely and who may not have the baggage JS has. I think Burton has enough upside to be worthy of a position on the team at WR.

Rounding out this installment is not a new guy to the team but to the position and that is webb. I want him to succeed because he is modest, willing to do anything and is incredibly athletic.
    I've noticed the guys you are rooting for are in positions of greatest need. In keeping with that theme, I'm rooting for Bobby Felder. I think we are very vulnerable at corner and especially nickelback. Injuries seem to be a constant theme with us in this position and our depth is lacking IMO. Felder looks like a gamer and Sherels scares the bejeezus out of me. If Robinson can pick up his game from last year, then maybe we can get some decent depth.

On Simpson, I think he's pretty much a lock for the roster this year (Spielman said as much during the game). However, this could very well be his last year with MN unless he really impresses this year. Burton impressed me against the Texans and Simpson is who he is. Although Burton was similar last year until put into the real game situation. Since they are still giving the guy a lot of looks, I think he is in a good position to make the team this year, but as the 5th receiver. I would put him ahead of Webb.

Culpepper_4717 is offline Asst. Coach Chopper Challenge Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    Joe Webb. I just can't help but root for him. It's probably a long shot. I'm pretty sure he will at least be offered a spot on the practice squad, but I'm not sure he'd make it through waivers.

I wonder what could have been if he had been a WR for the first 3 years of his NFL career.
    Can't go to the practice squad if you've been on the active roster for six or more games

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Another guy that I thought had a decent game was Brandon Burton. Just one pre-season game and I can't say I remember much of him in the past. Not sure how many CB's we keep on the roster (5 maybe?). If so, I would think Rhodes/Cook/Robinson/Jefferson are fairly certain to make it. Meaning the last spot is up for grabs between Felder/Burton/Sherels/Lacey/...

Pre-season games might actually decide who makes the cut. Not good for Lacey as he will be out another 2-4 weeks recovering from knee surgery. Sherel's has punt returns going from him, but I hope we base the decision on db play.

iowa is offline Rookie
    I hope Webb gets a shot, he's been a team guy, good attitude. He's scary with the ball in his hands and he shown the ability to catch the ball from all reports I've heard out of camp. I like Zack Line too but I don't know what we'd do with him, maybe we can get him on the practice squad.
    None