Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Players, not discipline, will get it done for Vikings

[size=18px]Players, not discipline, will get it done for Vikings[/size]

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 15, 2006 – 11:19 PM

Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins, is on vacation here with relatives, and he brings the news that coach Joe Gibbs' team will be much improved this year.
    That isn't good news for Brad Childress and the Vikings, who open the 2006 season with a Monday night game at Washington.

"We were eighth in the league in defense last year, and we believe we have improved there," said Cerrato, a native of Albert Lea and a former Gophers recruiting coordinator under Lou Holtz. "We added help on offense, too."

As for the Vikings, some of the experts, such as Don Banks of SI.com, predict they could be a dangerous entity in the NFL playoff race because of the discipline their new coach will bring, compared to the lax Mike Tice.

"Brad Childress has a talented roster to work with, and his disciplined nature should set just the right tone in Minnesota, where the inmates have been running the asylum for some time," Banks wrote.

Yes, lack of discipline is what owner Zygi Wilf and some of the geniuses at Winter Park say is why the Vikings didn't win more, that Tice let the players get away with murder and the result was the "Love Boat Scandal" and other bad things.

Yes, discipline helps. Nobody runs more disciplined camps than Bill Parcells of the Cowboys and Bill Belichick of the Patriots.

Parcells, a Super Bowl champion with the Giants, has yet to bring Dallas to the Super Bowl in his three seasons there. Belichick had the same discipline last year, when New England missed the playoffs, that he had in winning three Super Bowls.

I have a lot of respect for Childress, who some of the local media have been critical of even though he has not yet coached his first game.

But look at the schedule: at Washington, then Carolina and Chicago here.

The Vikings could be 0-3. That wouldn't mean Childress didn't have discipline. It will mean the other team had better players.

WCCO helped

One of the big reasons Calvin Griffith moved the Washington Senators to the Twin Cities in 1961 was the great job two people -- Larry Haeg and Art Lund -- did in putting together a $600,000 radio and television package, some 10 times what the Twins owner was receiving in Washington, D.C.

Lund was working for Campbell Mithun advertising agency, and Hamm's beer was one of its clients. Haeg ran WCCO radio and was involved in WCCO TV, both locally owned at the time. Hamm's was the big beer in the Twin Cities, with its "land of sky blue waters" commercials, something some of the older people like me could remember.

Now, after 46 years on WCCO, it appears that the radio broadcasts of the Twins will be moving to KSTP. It will also end my association with the Twins on WCCO that started from Day 1.

If you read Saturday's Star Tribune Sports letters to editors, you would have read one of many letters of protesting the move.

The number of calls to the newspaper and the radio station protesting the move have been enormous. My voice mail at the Star Tribune has been full with calls.

The Twins were looking to keep advertising revenue on a radio station plus money in the area of $750,000 to $1 million a year. WCCO was willing to give the advertising revenue but not the money. Apparently, KSTP, looking for a larger audience, decided to spend the additional money. My friend Mick Anselmo, who runs Clear Channel Radio here, also backed away when the Twins asked for money.

Maybe CBS, which owns WCCO, should have come forward with a better offer that the Twins' Dave St. Peter and Jim Pohlad, who have handled the negotiations, would have accepted. St. Peter blames CBS for not meeting the same rights fees that other American League teams in cities of this size are receiving. WCCO officials believe their deal was fair.

Sure, it is a business decision, and that is important for the Twins. But WCCO has contributed a lot, including playing a big part in the Twins getting a stadium.

Well, they say it's not over until the fat lady sings.

Maybe team owner Carl Pohlad and his right-hand man, Jerry Bell, will find a way to stay with loyal neighbor WCCO. I know that this is not an easy decision for Pohlad, who unfortunately will be the target of blame if this radio deal doesn't work out. He deserves praise and not criticism for all he has done for this area.

Jottings

Second-guessing is always easy, but looking back on the Twins signing Tony Batista, Rondell White and Ruben Sierra for a total of about $5 million, no doubt the Twins would have been much better off with the addition of one player who could have contributed more than these three veterans. ... Phenom Matt Garza, who is rapidly moving up the Twins system, made his debut with Class AAA Rochester on Saturday, losing 4-2 to Ottawa after giving up three runs on five hits in seven innings.

The University of Minnesota has budgeted $160,000 to install a new basketball floor at Williams Arena after the 2006-07 season.

Now the word from the Miami Dolphins is that ex-Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper has made great strides in rehabilitating his injured knee and definitely will be ready to play in the season opener.

Congratulations go to former Gophers hockey star Jordan Leopold, who showed his appreciation to the New Hope Ice Arena where he grew up by making a big contribution to it so some new equipment could be purchased. Apparently, Leopold is very happy with the trade that sent him from Calgary to Colorado, where his offensive abilities will have a chance to be displayed a lot more.

The word from Detroit Pistons camp is that ex-Gophers forward Rick Rickert showed he has the ability to contribute to the team's rebounding needs, and he also has improved in other departments, and for those reasons, he might get an invitation to coach Flip Saunders' training camp.

Todd Bouman, the former Vikings quarterback who has been backup with New Orleans, is in the last year of his contract and likely will try to move, with Drew Brees now on the Saints roster. Bouman took most of the snaps in minicamps because Brees was still favoring his shoulder, which is healing after surgery. ... Bouman reported that former Southern California running back Reggie Bush has shown everything expected of him during minicamps and should be a star for the Saints. The big loser when Bush was taken by New Orleans was ex-Vikings running back Michael Bennett, who signed a two-year, $3 million contract with the Saints before Bush was drafted.

Damian Johnson, a 6-7 forward from Thibodaux, La., who was held out of action by Gophers men's basketball coaches his freshman year, has been one of the great performers in private scrimmages that players hold on their own during the offseason. ... Timberwolves President Chris Wright said the team has sold 300 new season tickets. Maybe the signing of Mike James will increase the interest in the Wolves for the upcoming season.

True, Randy Foye, the first-round draft choice whom the Wolves received from Portland, had great success at the Las Vegas summer league, but so did Brandon Roy, the guard the Wolves traded to the Blazers for Foye. Foye led all scorers with 24.8 points per game and was the league MVP. But Roy did well, too, averaging 19 points but shooting 64.7 percent. Roy had 35 points in one game, Foye 33.

While performing with the Miami Heat in the Orlando summer league, former Gophers guard Vince Grier averaged six points and four rebounds per game. ... Ex-Gophers guards Kevin Burleson and Moe Hargrow played with the Charlotte Bobcats in Orlando. Burleson, a rookie with the Bobcats last season, averaged 7.8 points per game, while Hargrow played 11 minutes in the five games but made only one shot in 11 attempts. Former Gophers player and assistant coach John-Blair Bickerstaff, now an assistant with Charlotte, coached the summer league team.

Former Vikings assistant Gary Zauner, who is on Denny Green's staff with the Arizona Cardinals, was in Minneapolis last week for a reception to celebrate his recent marriage to Michelle Herold. The reception was held at the Wilds Golf Club in Prior Lake.

Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on WCCO AM-830 at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Podcast twice a week at www.startribune.com/sidcast. • [email protected]

Players, not discipline, will get it done for Vikings

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Players, not discipline, will get it done for Vikings

If disciplined we may play more focused. All the youth on this team needs to pick it up. E.J. Henderson, Troy Williamson just to name two should start to show why we drafted them.
    If this happens we will be headed in the right direction.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=18px]Players, not discipline, will get it done for Vikings[/size]

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: July 15, 2006 – 11:19 PM

Vinny Cerrato, vice president of football operations for the Washington Redskins, is on vacation here with relatives, and he brings the news that coach Joe Gibbs' team will be much improved this year.
    That isn't good news for Brad Childress and the Vikings, who open the 2006 season with a Monday night game at Washington.

"We were eighth in the league in defense last year, and we believe we have improved there," said Cerrato, a native of Albert Lea and a former Gophers recruiting coordinator under Lou Holtz. "We added help on offense, too."

Comment: Yeah they had a good D .. But can they overcome the loss of Lavar?

As for the Vikings, some of the experts, such as Don Banks of SI.com, predict they could be a dangerous entity in the NFL playoff race because of the discipline their new coach will bring, compared to the lax Mike Tice.

"Brad Childress has a talented roster to work with, and his disciplined nature should set just the right tone in Minnesota, where the inmates have been running the asylum for some time," Banks wrote.

Yes, lack of discipline is what owner Zygi Wilf and some of the geniuses at Winter Park say is why the Vikings didn't win more, that Tice let the players get away with murder and the result was the "Love Boat Scandal" and other bad things.

Yes, discipline helps. Nobody runs more disciplined camps than Bill Parcells of the Cowboys and Bill Belichick of the Patriots.

Parcells, a Super Bowl champion with the Giants, has yet to bring Dallas to the Super Bowl in his three seasons there. Belichick had the same discipline last year, when New England missed the playoffs, that he had in winning three Super Bowls.

Comment: Did New England miss the playoffs?? - erhm Noo.. They won their division even with a lot of problems with injuries in the secondary

I have a lot of respect for Childress, who some of the local media have been critical of even though he has not yet coached his first game.

But look at the schedule: at Washington, then Carolina and Chicago here.

The Vikings could be 0-3. That wouldn't mean Childress didn't have discipline. It will mean the other team had better players.

///Deleted the WCCO thing

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

its a wait and see approach for this season more than ever before.
    You republican whore!

Prophet Guest

In a prediction thread a while back I was thinking the Vikings will start off slow and end at 9-7. The press will be railing on the Vikings in the early part of the season (not like that would be a surprise). The Vikes have a tough schedule in the beginning, especially with a revamped team. It will be exciting and there will be no lack of heated discussions the first half of the season. Expect the subjective arguments to be hitting the board hard.

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

I agree with Prophet, I think we are gonna start slow and then start warming up later on in the season. I think are record will be 10-6 and we will win the division because Chicago can never win 2 straight divisions.

Thank you Josdin for the sig

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Im pretty sure we a gonne be somewhere around 11-5/10-6/9-7 But it will ofcourse depend on Brad, Chester and Koren.. to make the points that.. Our D wont we a problem it will be the X-FACTOR!!

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

14-2, loses against the cardinals and the patriots. I'm calling it right now. When I'm right, I expect my rank thing ("training camp, rookie, starter....")To be changed to The Almighty Third Eye
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

BadlandsVikings is online now Jersey Retired

"Braddock" wrote:
    14-2, loses against the cardinals and the patriots. I'm calling it right now. When I'm right, I expect my rank thing ("training camp, rookie, starter....")To be changed to The Almighty Third Eye
    what do you want your name to be if your wrong?

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I like the end of the story when the writer mentions Prior Lake,MN...

Thats where I went ice fishing before I flew home, during my last visit...Another great bunch of MN People I got to meet while there....The MN Fishermen........Had a blast...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast