Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 & West Coast systems

Posted on Wed, Jun. 21, 2006

[size=18px]Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 scheme, West Coast system[/size]

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

After two mandatory minicamps, 14 organized team activity days and countless meetings and conditioning sessions, the Vikings' long offseason is nearly over.

Today's morning practice marks the end of a two-day voluntary minicamp and the offseason program for coach Brad Childress' team, which won't assemble again until the start of training camp five weeks from now in Mankato.

Childress, asked to evaluate his team at this point, said: "I think that they want to be good, and I think they've done everything that I've asked them here, our coaches have asked them, really since the beginning of the offseason program. … They've given us about all they could here this offseason."

Speaking for the defense, veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield said the players feel good about the progress they've made in learning the team's new Tampa 2 scheme and are looking forward to the break.

"I think it's well deserved," Winfield said. "Even the days we weren't working out, we've had meetings with the coaches going over the details of the defense. I'm looking for big things out of this defense this year, and I'm looking forward to going down to Mankato."

So is quarterback Brad Johnson, who believes the offense is off to a good start in picking up Childress' West Coast system.

"I feel like the tempo's been here from Day One; the enthusiasm has been here," Johnson said. "You just want to carry it over into the summer and be ready for training camp."

Johnson said much of the credit for the upbeat attitude goes to Childress and his coaches, who have stressed up-tempo practices and a businesslike approach.

"This is my fifth coaching staff change," Johnson said. "There's a lot of trust, a lot of respect there from what they've accomplished, and that carries over to the players here."

Childress, in turn, said he has seen great progress from his players in terms of understanding the new offense and defense, and won't be sending them off with a lot of homework.

"I think somewhere you have to get away and you have get your mind fresh and step away," he said. "You know what you know. I don't think that the blackboard will get erased here. … They've had a great offseason in terms of work. They have to get their minds right, they have to get their bodies right because we start a marathon here July 27."

That also goes for Childress and his coaches, who will work through Friday before taking their pre-training camp vacations.

Winfield, who will report with the rest of the veterans on July 30, already has his itinerary mapped out.

"I'm going to Amsterdam, Barcelona and Milan," he said. "Take a two-week trip and get off my feet and relax."

Johnson's vacation plans are less adventurous, but he's looking forward to it just the same.

"I'm ready to get back home and take my family to the beach and kind of just get away for a little bit," he said. "It's our last break before February, so you'd better enjoy it while you get that last chance."

Back in action: Wide receiver Troy Williamson returned to practice for the first time since undergoing a procedure in early May to remove an abscess from his left hip.

"It's good to see him out there running around," Childress said. "He's been trying to stay into it, take mental reps, but obviously there's nothing like being out there and moving around."

Williamson could provide a needed deep threat for the Vikings, who have 14 receivers on the roster and need one or two to emerge.

"I feel like I can be the guy to do that," Williamson said.

Absent with leave: Nose tackle Pat Williams was excused from Tuesday's practices because of a prior family engagement, and wide receiver Koren Robinson was at home in North Carolina tending to his young son, who is recovering from recent surgery.

Linebacker Napoleon Harris, who is preparing to get married, was given the afternoon practice off.

Briefly: This week's voluntary minicamp was scheduled to begin Monday, but Childress canceled the first two practices and took the team bowling instead.

"I won't tell you who was high and who was low," he said. "I hate to embarrass those people."

Childress didn't participate, opting to remain in a supervisory role.

"I was kind of the commissioner for any disputes," he said. "And there was a limited amount of damage over at Eden Prairie Lanes."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 scheme, West Coast system

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 & West Coast systems

Nice read.. Good to see the boys are doing well..

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

It is good that the players seem to respect the coaching staff and are enthused to be here which seems to be the exact opposite of what is going on in Green Bay.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

It sounds like everythings in place for a decent season. Of course I thought the same thing last offseason/preseason. Everything worked out by season's end but things were definitely a little shaky in the begining. I hope that Childress can implement something in these guys to prevent that from happening again.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

hopefully they can pull it together quickly & gell together nicely during the preseason; we'll see, but im sadly anticipating a slow start

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Re: Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 & West Coast sys

Bowling, huh? I guess a day at the lake with strippers was'nt an option.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I wonder what it means in the last paragraph when it states "And there was a limited amount of damage over at Eden Prairie Lanes."? That doesn't sound good.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Aberration is offline Rookie

Re: Players adjusting to Childress' Tampa 2 & West Coast sys

It's nice to see that the coach can lighten up and reward the players for working so hard the last couple months... plus the quip about about the damage is nice to see he has a sense of humor

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Last year: Strippers and booze

This year: Bowling!!

:lol:

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I wonder what next year will bring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast