Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Player Analysis Offense

Quote Originally Posted by "DiehardVikesFan" #1087412
    Webb- only QB on the roster.
    Wrong. Rhett Bomar is also on the roster.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

We definitely need another speed receiver and trade berrian. That guy is a little Nancy boy who puts out little effort and would rather not go for a ball if it means taking a hit. I am sure impressed with Adrian this year total fumble 180 and puts out more effort than berrian in his sleep.
    I still am undecided with Toby. I think he runs too upright when he hits the hole and is stopped fairly easily because of it. Lower the boom and head north with a vengeance is the only way he will make it cause he ain't going to juke anyone.
    Percy is awesome and hope his headache problem gets better and not because of football just so life is a little easier. Great slot guy needs another fast clearing receiver.
    I think Sully is too small and should look for an upgrade.

Our tackles need to step up and get mean. Loadholt is a work in progress and McKinney hasn't been all that but could be worse.
    I would like to see us draft a speed rusher opposite Jared cause ray will be gone and our 4-3 needs pressure especially with our secondary.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Oops on the Webb thing!!

Nice input guys keep er coming!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1087428

=Z=
    But calling him a QB is a stretch.I think Leslie will try to trade him back to the jints for Rosenflopter.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1087428

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Damn I love threads like these. Don't have the time to give a full analysis/comment.

Having said that, a couple of quickies....

OL - I think you need to really take into account everyones play with respect to who was on the field and who wasn't.

Case in point, Sully. He isn't supposed to take on NT's by himself. The blocking scheme calls for a G to help and then one of them to shift to the next level (LB). With injuries to both G's his play was effected a bit.

On the flip side, when Sully was out, Coop and Cook were a step down. That step down affected how Hutch and Herrera played.

WR's. Again, taken as a group, they are hard to evaluate without all of them on the field in thier sets.

Having said that, I think we need to look long and hard at what the plan is for BB and Rice. IMHO both could go and I wouldn't be upset. Take the money the are paying BB and would pay Rice and invest it in someone like Jackson, keep a Camarillo and draft another field stretcher.

RB's. Can't wait to see what Toby does next year with a year under his belt. Additionally, I believe all the backs will benifit next year if we can keep the same OLmen on the field for the full season like we saw in 09.

QB's. What a mess. Again, don't have time. Looks like there aren't enough first rounders to get one to us. I wouldn't mind giving up a second for another vet (I like Orton right now), if one doesn't fall to us.

Again, great thread. Wish I had more time to spend in it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1087461
    Damn I love threads like these. Don't have the time to give a full analysis/comment.

Having said that, a couple of quickies....

OL - I think you need to really take into account everyones play with respect to who was on the field and who wasn't.

Case in point, Sully. He isn't supposed to take on NT's by himself. The blocking scheme calls for a G to help and then one of them to shift to the next level (LB). With injuries to both G's his play was effected a bit.

On the flip side, when Sully was out, Coop and Cook were a step down. That step down affected how Hutch and Herrera played.

WR's. Again, taken as a group, they are hard to evaluate without all of them on the field in thier sets.

Having said that, I think we need to look long and hard at what the plan is for BB and Rice. IMHO both could go and I wouldn't be upset. Take the money the are paying BB and would pay Rice and invest it in someone like Jackson, keep a Camarillo and draft another field stretcher.

RB's. Can't wait to see what Toby does next year with a year under his belt. Additionally, I believe all the backs will benifit next year if we can keep the same OLmen on the field for the full season like we saw in 09.

QB's. What a mess. Again, don't have time. Looks like there aren't enough first rounders to get one to us. I wouldn't mind giving up a second for another vet (I like Orton right now), if one doesn't fall to us.

Again, great thread. Wish I had more time to spend in it.

Thanks buddy.. Made this knowing you like to get discussions goin :P

I agree with what you're saying.. Consistancy hurt us ALOT last year

Not having people on the field more was a huge problem

We had Brett missing weeks of practice

Had Percy missing practice

Lost TONS of people to injuries

First few weeks when Sid was out we were rotating in Greg Lewis and Greg Camarillo on the outsides alot..

Im all for the Jackson idea.. Vincent is esentially a Sidney Rice but healthy

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Not saying we should cut these people necessarily, but I feel they are people we could get by without, or upgrade.Naturally you can't upgrade them all in one season so many will stay.

Favre
    Baskett
    Berrian
    Camarillo
    Lewis
    Cooper
    Sullivan
    Tahi
    Tarvaris
    Albert Young
    upgrade Schiancoe
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087471
    Not saying we should cut these people necessarily, but I feel they are people we could get by without, or upgrade.Naturally you can't upgrade them all in one season so many will stay.

Favre
    Baskett
    Berrian
    Camarillo
    Lewis
    Cooper
    Sullivan
    Tahi
    Tarvaris
    Albert Young
    upgrade Schiancoe
    No argument. of that list, the guy I like the most is Camarillo. He certainly can be upgraded, but I like his approach to playing the game. Between Cam, Rice and Harvin, those are three really good sets of hands. Admittedly that the hands aren't much good if you don't get open and the upside is also limited on YAC with Cam. But he's a guy you can count on for 4 WR sets and to fill in on a number of rotations. Also a good 3rd down guy to have.

Shiancoe and Sullivan are the next guys on this list that I would want to keep. Again, they can both be upgraded, but we could do a lot worse as well.

From an overall roster evaluation, I personally have not felt that are team is head and shoulders above most of the league. I think we had an above average level of talent and that was due mostly to the amount of elite players on the field (Peterson, Harvin, Rice when healthy, Favre when healthy, Hutch when healthy, Kevin Williams, Jared, Greenway, Pat of yesteryear and Winfield). This was offset by a very average cast of players that could easily be interchanged with the next NFL guy...sans experience. This is my primary explanation as to why we did well in '09 and fizzled in '10. A few key guys were hurt/unproductive which put the average guys in the spotlight...making our team look mediocre at best very quickly. The best franchises deal with this with less disturbance, but most of them fall in the way of the Vikings and you see the frenzy of who's who from week to week.

I think you could go down most NFL rosters and make an argument that their teams have as much talent as the Vikings. Production is a different thing and that can come down largely to coaching, schemes, player development and supporting personnel.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1087473
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1087471

Favre
    Baskett
    Berrian
    Camarillo
    Lewis
    Cooper
    Sullivan
    Tahi
    Tarvaris
    Albert Young
    upgrade Schiancoe
    No argument. of that list, the guy I like the most is Camarillo. He certainly can be upgraded, but I like his approach to playing the game. Between Cam, Rice and Harvin, those are three really good sets of hands. Admittedly that the hands aren't much good if you don't get open and the upside is also limited on YAC with Cam. But he's a guy you can count on for 4 WR sets and to fill in on a number of rotations. Also a good 3rd down guy to have.

Shiancoe and Sullivan are the next guys on this list that I would want to keep. Again, they can both be upgraded, but we could do a lot worse as well.

From an overall roster evaluation, I personally have not felt that are team is head and shoulders above most of the league. I think we had an above average level of talent and that was due mostly to the amount of elite players on the field (Peterson, Harvin, Rice when healthy, Favre when healthy, Hutch when healthy, Kevin Williams, Jared, Greenway, Pat of yesteryear and Winfield). This was offset by a very average cast of players that could easily be interchanged with the next NFL guy...sans experience. This is my primary explanation as to why we did well in '09 and fizzled in '10. A few key guys were hurt/unproductive which put the average guys in the spotlight...making our team look mediocre at best very quickly. The best franchises deal with this with less disturbance, but most of them fall in the way of the Vikings and you see the frenzy of who's who from week to week.

I think you could go down most NFL rosters and make an argument that their teams have as much talent as the Vikings. Production is a different thing and that can come down largely to coaching, schemes, player development and supporting personnel.
    Good post. I can see it that way as well with one minor exception. I think the whole offensive line would improve if we had a stud at center.We could easily do worse than Sullivan, but we could do better as well.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast