Thread: Player Analysis Defense & STs
02-16-2011, 10:55 AM #21
Re: Player Analysis Defense & STs
I finally got around to looking at the roster, position by position. I will put the Offense in your other thread of this nature.
Couple of comments.......
a. Contract data came from rotoworld, number in front of the players name equates to how many players we have on contract combined with the offensive side of the ball.
b. Currently we are at 47, but you can almost make that number 48 because we will have to add a K. Taking that into account, we currently have roster spots for only 5 players.
c. That number is very misleading because of the 6 players we have on the roster that are signed to "Futures Contracts".
d. Position title in Red is a major concern were we need to address by either signing one of our FA's, using a draft pick or addressing via the FA market.
26. Kevin Williams 12/23/2006: Signed a five-year, $33.24 million contract. The deal includes $16 million guaranteed and a two-year, $16.76 option available for 2013-2014. 2011: $6 million, 2012-2014: $7 million, 2015: Free Agent
27. Letroy Guion 2011: $555,000, 2012: Free Agent
28. Jimmy Kennedy 2011: $2.5 million, 2012: Free Agent
Pat Williams 2011: Free Agent
Fred Evans 2011: Free Agent
I don't think we really need to do anything here other than try to find a replacement for Phat Pat. As much as I hate to say it, I think its time we tell the big guy he can't take up a roster spot anymore based on his limited production as well as his pending suspension.
Fred Evans is in the same catagory. Although some on here think he is some sort of great backup, he really didn't do much last year as his numbers show.
One thing to watch with respect to this position.....Will they carry an extra DT to cover K-dubbs suspension? So far the league hasn't come right out and suspend the players. There are a few articles out there that mention that this type of suspension would be voided by the new CBA and that fines alone would be handed out. Again it will be interesting to watch how this position is handled, especially since we have a "Defensive" minded coach.
29. Jared Allen 4/23/2008: Signed a six-year, $73.26 million contract. The deal contains $31 million guaranteed, including a $15.5 million signing bonus, a $4 million second-year "signing" bonus, and a $4 million guaranteed-for-injury roster bonus in the third season. 2011: $8,979,438, 2012: $11,619,850, 2013: $14,280,612, 2014: Free Agent
30. Everson Griffen 7/27/2010: Signed a four-year, $2.33 million contract. The deal included a $540,000 signing bonus. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent
31. Adrian Awasom 1/6/2011: Signed a reserve/future contract.
32. Tremaine Johnson 1/3/2011: Signed a reserve/future contract.
Ray Edwards 2011: Free Agent
Brian Robison 2011: Free Agent
I for one would like to see them resign either Ray or Rob, however, I think that Ray is gonna command more on the FA market than we are willing to offer. Griff came on nicely at the end of last year and showed the versatility to play either the LDE or RDE position as well as the ability to drop down and fill a 2 gap role at DT in passing situations.
Based on moneys available to Bryzcheapski, the path the staff takes might be to let both of the FA's walk and draft a kid as depth.
33. E.J. Henderson 2011: $4.7 million, 2012: Free Agent
34. Jasper Brinkley 6/30/2009: Signed a four-year, $1.936 million contract. The deal included a $186,000 signing bonus. 2010: $395,000, 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent
35. Kenny Onatolu 2011: $480,000, 2012: Restricted Free Agent
36. Heath Farwell 2011: $1.75 million, 2012: Free Agent
Chad Greenway 2011: Free Agent
Ben Leber 2011: Free Agent
Erin Henderson 2011: Restricted Free Agent
For some reason I thought EJ was a FA this year as well and thought Erin was under contract. Brothers on the roster must have been the source of that confusion.
As with last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Heath let loose and his roster spot filled with a younger/faster guy. That would free up some much needed cash that could be used to resign Chad or could be used to keep Erin on the roster.
My guess, they will opt to let Ben walk, plug Erin (if they can sign him) or Jasper into his spot as well as using a mid round draft pick on a Sam LB'r. Additionally, I look for them to bring in a few UDFA's to compete for ST's spots as well as potential backups to the starters.
The addition of new LB'r coaches might mean they are going to have a few more youngsters that need attention.
37. Antoine Winfield 7/23/2009: Signed a five-year, $36 million contract. The deal contains $16.1 million guaranteed, including his first-year base salary. Another $1.4 million is available in "likely to be earned" first-year incentives. A de-escalator could kick in for 2011, reducing Winfield's salaries to roughly $3 million if he loses his starting job but sticks as the Vikings' nickel corner. 2011: $6.75 million, 2012: $7 million, 2013: $7.25 million, 2014: Free Agent
38. Cedric Griffin 3/20/2009: Signed a five-year, $28.5 million contract. The deal includes $10.5 million guaranteed. 2011: $3.35 million, 2012: $4.1 million, 2013: $4.85 million, 2014: $5.45 million, 2015: Free Agent
39. Chris Cook 7/29/2010: Signed a four-year, $5.37 million contract. The deal contains $3.3 million guaranteed, including a $2.3 million signing bonus. 2011: $405,000, 2012: $490,000, 2013: $575,000, 2014: Free Agent
40. Asher Allen 7/23/2009: Signed a four-year, $2.476 million contract. The deal included a $725,500 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent
41. Marcus Sherels 1/1/2011: Signed a three-year, $1.065 million contract. 2011: $330,000, 2012: $415,000, 2013: Restricted Free Agent
42. Simeon Castille 1/3/2011: Signed a reserve/future contract.
43. Cord Parks 1/3/2011: Signed a reserve/future contract.
Frank Walker 2011: Free Agent
Unlike most of you, I don't have any concerns with our CB's, unless of course the are going to shift from the cover 2 scheme.
I liked how Whinny was mostly used as the Nickleback and the other CB's played on the outside. Seems to have helped keep him a bit healthier.
Unless there is a big issue related to Griff and Cooks return, I don't see them drafting a CB in this draft or bringing in any top level FA talent.
44. Jamarca Sanford 6/22/2009: Signed a four-year, $1.799 million contract. The deal included a $49,275 signing bonus. 2011: $480,000, 2012: $565,000, 2013: Free Agent
45. Madieu Williams 2/29/2008: Signed a six-year, $33.75 million contract. The deal includes $13 million guaranteed. 2011-2013: $5.4 million, 2014: Free Agent
Tyrell Johnson 2011: Free Agent
Husain Abdullah 2011: Restricted Free Agent
Eric Frampton 2011: Free Agent
This position suprised me with respect to who was under contract. I knew Husain had been around for a while but I didn't think he was up for a contract. IMHO his play last year warranted some sort of long term deal.
As with most of you, I don't think that Madieu is really working out. I think you could try to trade him and use that money to sign Husain and possibly even Tyrell.
Regardless, you might see them address this position either in the draft or via FA if the money is there.
46. Chris Kluwe 10/25/2007: Signed a seven-year, $8.735 million contract. The deal included a $1.7 million signing bonus and an initial $225,000 workout bonus. 2011: $1.18 million, 2012: $1.3 million, 2013: $1.4 million, 2014: Free Agent
47. Cullen Loeffler 2011: $775,000, 2012: Free Agent
Ryan Longwell 2011: Free Agent
Please Please Please, go find us a kicker who can get it in the end zone. Let him get his reps at FG this year when we don't expect to much to happen with respect to a run at the SB because of what we expect to see at QB this year.
As I said in my earliest post in this thread. I absolutely love these kindsof threads. Hopefully more posters will jump in with their thoughts/ideas.Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.
02-16-2011, 06:12 PM #22
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Blog Entries
Re: Player Analysis Defense & STsOriginally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089620
By V4L in forum Vikings Fan ForumReplies: 27Last Post: 02-17-2011, 02:55 AM
By Marrdro in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA ForumReplies: 101Last Post: 05-02-2008, 08:27 PM
By singersp in forum General NFL DiscussionReplies: 4Last Post: 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM
By FedjeViking in forum The ClubhouseReplies: 0Last Post: 03-29-2006, 04:00 AM
By nzviking in forum Vikings Fan ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 04-28-2003, 12:16 PM