Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Playcalling--who is calling the plays now?

The past month has been a great time for us Vikings fans.
    In watching the game yesterday.
    As I recall, every time AD was in the game we ran the ball.
    We never tried one pass when he was in.
    No screen passes to him, no play action passes when he was in, just gave him the ball and let him face the 9 man front with both of their corners coming in on a run blitz.
    Which could explain why he only gained 3 yards on 14 carries.
    I am happy with the direction our team is going, but we need to mix up the plays no matter who is in the backfield.
    Give the kid a chance on a screen pass anyway.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Playcalling--who is calling the plays now?

"vikingivan" wrote:
    No screen passes to him, no play action passes when he was in, just gave him the ball and let him face the 9 man front with both of their corners coming in on a run blitz.
    I am happy with the direction our team is going, but we need to mix up the plays no matter who is in the backfield.
    He can't pass block that well... that's how they stopped him all day too. When he's in, you know it's a run.

You should read some of singer's posts. The guy knows his stuff.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

funkyasflea is offline Pro-Bowler

Agreed.
    Even the commentators made a comment about that.
    If they noticed it I am sure the 49ers D-coordinator did too.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I can't complain about the play calling when we beat a team 27-7.

The 9ers were keyed to stop the run, especially against AD.
    Childress/Bevel recognized this and changed the game play to feature a controlled passing game.
    San Fran never adjusted, which is why we were able to move the ball so efficiently in the first half.
    In the second, we went to a very conservative play to preserve the lead, and it worked.

In the end, the important thing is the win, not whether or not AD breaks a few big runs.
    I think if it would have been necessary to get AD in position to make some big plays, we would have played it out a little differently.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

"vikingivan" wrote:
    YES YES YES..

I don't think we throw near enough screens. Especially with an aggressive defense on a third and long that wants to blitz 'young Tjack'

Screens can be used for both Taylor, and AD extremelly effectively
    i m better than you, so just give up...

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"funkyasflea" wrote:
    Agreed.
    You guys have to remember Chilly is a psychology major... with a game in hand, he runs a very predictable offense... Next week's opponent watches this tape... "ah ha!
    Key to stopping the Vikings is that whenever AD is on the field it's a hand off"... hmmm... gee, that really leaves some options open doesn't it?
    Sure, he could have done it against San Fran, but why, the game was in hand, why show more of the playbook then necessary?

Maybe I give Chilly far too much credit, maybe you guys give him far too little... guess we'll see next week when AD is catching screen passes, pitches, and Rice is catching a couple bombs in single coverage off the AD play action fake...
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "funkyasflea" wrote:
    Agreed.
    You guys have to remember Chilly is a psychology major... with a game in hand, he runs a very predictable offense... Next week's opponent watches this tape... "ah ha!
    Key to stopping the Vikings is that whenever AD is on the field it's a hand off"... hmmm... gee, that really leaves some options open doesn't it?
    Sure, he could have done it against San Fran, but why, the game was in hand, why show more of the playbook then necessary?

Maybe I give Chilly far too much credit, maybe you guys give him far too little... guess we'll see next week when AD is catching screen passes, pitches, and Rice is catching a couple bombs in single coverage off the AD play action fake...
    Interesting point. I hope it is true.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

"BleedinPandG" wrote:

This is a good point, which makes it all the more odd to me that they ran that fake FG against Detroit when they were way ahead.
    Someone (can't remember if it was Childress himself) said it will give other teams something to think about.
    It seems like it would have been better to keep it in your back pocket until you needed it.

Maybe he has a variation on it where Kluwe fakes it to Dugan to get the D moving then pitches left to Longwell or something.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Potus2028" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    YES YES YES..

I don't think we throw near enough screens. Especially with an aggressive defense on a third and long that wants to blitz 'young Tjack'

Screens can be used for both Taylor, and AD extremelly effectively
    Again, we were up 27-0 coming into the second half.
    There is absolutely no need to do anything other than hold on the the ball.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"lakehubertviking" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:

This is a good point, which makes it all the more odd to me that they ran that fake FG against Detroit when they were way ahead.
    Someone (can't remember if it was Childress himself) said it will give other teams something to think about.
    It seems like it would have been better to keep it in your back pocket until you needed it.

Maybe he has a variation on it where Kluwe fakes it to Dugan to get the D moving then pitches left to Longwell or something.
    Depends... what do you prefer... having the option of running a fake FG once in a blue moon... or having only 9 defenders rushing the kick because 2 are guarding against the fake?
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast