NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Plan to reuse parts of Dome in new stadium could save $100 million

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings ask for palace; a stadium is plenty[/size]

If the Vikings proposed a cheaper open-air stadium instead of one with a roof, taxpayers might consider it.

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: July 21, 2008 - 11:05 PM

The kickoff to the real propaganda campaign for a new Vikings stadium occurred Thursday, when the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission called in the media to listen to a presentation from the architectural firm Ellerbe Becket....

And Reusse again shows us that he is an idiot.

Why I am all for finding a way to make the new stadium cheaper, Reusse's hack job of an article blatantly misses two major points.

1) The Vikings want an open air stadium - it is the state that needs the roof
    2) The taxpayers would get screwed if they helped pay for an open air stadium, because they would never get a total return on their investment.
    Patrick Reusse & the Senators are Douche-Bags.

Had the Senate approved the stadium 2 years ago, they would have had a retractable stadium for about 535 million. 250 million of which Wilf was going to pay for. Now it's over 800 million to build.

They essentially pissed away 550 million of the tax payers money in 2 years time because that's essentially how much more it's going to cost them this year.

That's more money than the entire stadium would have cost them to begin with had they passed it then.
    That really isn't the same story or the same plan. The 535 million was for a different design and location, and when that didn't work, they went back to downtown and expanded the plan greatly to include retail, light rail access etc. While the price would certainly be higher than the original 550 million, it could be built for closer to that than to 1 billion if they went back to the outer fringe of the metro and scaled back the design closer to the original.

And had Red built it himself in 2000, he could have done it for 350 million all by himself and the taxpayers wouldn't have had to kick in a dime.
    Yeah, well Red was a jackass too.
    And for the record, the biggest obstacle in putting the stadium in the suburbs, where it would be cheaper, was the Hennepin County legislators.
    They wanted the stadium in Hennepin, and as the largest contingent, have some decent sway.
    You can't blame Zygi or the Vikings for that.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Vikings ask for palace; a stadium is plenty[/size]

If the Vikings proposed a cheaper open-air stadium instead of one with a roof, taxpayers might consider it.

By PATRICK REUSSE, Star Tribune

Last update: July 21, 2008 - 11:05 PM

The kickoff to the real propaganda campaign for a new Vikings stadium occurred Thursday, when the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission called in the media to listen to a presentation from the architectural firm Ellerbe Becket....

And Reusse again shows us that he is an idiot.

Why I am all for finding a way to make the new stadium cheaper, Reusse's hack job of an article blatantly misses two major points.

1) The Vikings want an open air stadium - it is the state that needs the roof
    2) The taxpayers would get screwed if they helped pay for an open air stadium, because they would never get a total return on their investment.
    Patrick Reusse & the Senators are Douche-Bags.

Had the Senate approved the stadium 2 years ago, they would have had a retractable stadium for about 535 million. 250 million of which Wilf was going to pay for. Now it's over 800 million to build.

They essentially pissed away 550 million of the tax payers money in 2 years time because that's essentially how much more it's going to cost them this year.

That's more money than the entire stadium would have cost them to begin with had they passed it then.
    That really isn't the same story or the same plan. The 535 million was for a different design and location, and when that didn't work, they went back to downtown and expanded the plan greatly to include retail, light rail access etc. While the price would certainly be higher than the original 550 million, it could be built for closer to that than to 1 billion if they went back to the outer fringe of the metro and scaled back the design closer to the original.

And had Red built it himself in 2000, he could have done it for 350 million all by himself and the taxpayers wouldn't have had to kick in a dime.
    Yeah, well Red was a jackass too.
    And for the record, the biggest obstacle in putting the stadium in the suburbs, where it would be cheaper, was the Hennepin County legislators.
    They wanted the stadium in Hennepin, and as the largest contingent, have some decent sway.
    You can't blame Zygi or the Vikings for that.

And I am not blaming them, and yes, Red was a jackass and still is. A drunk jackass at that.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Editorial: Yea or nay, it's time to focus on stadium[/size]

Vikings deserve answer, but only after more details emerge.

Last update: July 24, 2008 - 6:46 PM

startribune.com

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I sit here drinking my coffee on a beautifull Saturday morning and think to myself, "Self, I wonder if they go ahead and build another "Cheap" stadium as they did with the Dome, will we be having this discussion again in 20 years?"

Seriously, I understand that 1 Billion dollars is alot, however, what are the implications of shaving a few dollars off in the long run?
    My option would be to pay a bit more and build a stadium that is not only a great venue to watch a football game, tracktor pull, final four etc now, but for many years to come.

20 years isn't long enough for a stadium IMHO.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345