Re: This in From Pioneer Press...UHOH!

"singersp" wrote:
    Just read that article in the STrib.
    Nice hack job, Rachel.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

Anyone who tries to equate public funding for a stadium to less money for schools is talking out their ass, imo. Government spending in this state has been skewed for a long time now, and school spending will be poor regardless, just as it has been for decades. Professional sports has nothing to do with school funding.

What they really need to do is start getting politically correct organizations on board to also utilize the stadium. Dangle some cheap rental fees in front of people like the American Cancer Society, Multiple Sclerosis, AA, Muscular Dystrophy, etc. Also get school sports to commit to use the facility for state competitions. I think that getting support from some key organizations that cover more of the public interest is important
    to getting the government to take this project seriously.

So, I would say open up the doors to ownership and sell pieces of the team to the public to raise the money for a stadium.
    I'll buy E.J. LOL ;D

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Freya" wrote:
    Anyone who tries to equate public funding for a stadium to less money for schools is talking out their jiggly butt, imo. Government spending in this state has been skewed for a long time now, and school spending will be poor regardless, just as it has been for decades. Professional sports has nothing to do with school funding.

What they really need to do is start getting politically correct organizations on board to also utilize the stadium. Dangle some cheap rental fees in front of people like the American Cancer Society, Multiple Sclerosis, AA, Muscular Dystrophy, etc. Also get school sports to commit to use the facility for state competitions. I think that getting support from some key organizations that cover more of the public interest is important

So, I would say open up the doors to ownership and sell pieces of the team to the public to raise the money for a stadium.
    I'll buy E.J. LOL ;D
    The problem with getting those other groups involved is that none of them benefit from a new stadium. The metrodome works great for high school tournaments. The state doesn't need or want a new stadium(other than to keep the Vikings), the Vikings are the only ones that do.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Freya" wrote:
    Anyone who tries to equate public funding for a stadium to less money for schools is talking out their jiggly butt, imo. Government spending in this state has been skewed for a long time now, and school spending will be poor regardless, just as it has been for decades. Professional sports has nothing to do with school funding.

I'll buy E.J. LOL ;D
    The problem with getting those other groups involved is that none of them benefit from a new stadium. The metrodome works great for high school tournaments. The state doesn't need or want a new stadium(other than to keep the Vikings), the Vikings are the only ones that do.
    What they would do is form pseudo partnerships with those types of groups.
    The Vikings would promote them, win/win.
    Not sure how much revenue would be generated (if any)...probably not much more than a dent.
    But the simple act of associating with groups out for a good cause would even further illustrate to the public and politicians that the Vikings are more than just a sports team and benefit the state of MN more than simply entertainment on Sunday.
    Who wants to vote against helping the organizatio who is helping the cancer society, M.S. group, AIDS foundation, hurt puppies r' us, and the battered women's shelter?

These groups could be promoted in the game day magazine, short simple television comercials, in game announcements, etc.
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

Llamarama is offline Waterboy

I thought this was interesting; B.S. Report Podcast about L.A. trying to get a football team and all the issues that has.
    Very pessimistic view of LA actually getting a team from someone "in the know" as it were.
    Haven't seen much of this point of view here on the forum so I thought some of you might find it interesting.

(The LA stuff starts at 13:45ish)

Scan down to the 9/16 podcast
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/...ive?id=2864045

Former Los Angeles Avengers owner and Wasserman Media Group CEO Casey Wasserman joins Bill Simmons to make the case for an NFL team in Los Angeles.

Go Vikes!
    ;D

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Rachel Blount needs to pull her head out.

Are you kidding me?!
    "It will be a great day when our schools/roads/environment get all the money they need, and Zygi Wilf has to sell candy bars to build a new stadium."
    What?!
    First off, the state passed a freakin' amendment on raising taxes exclusively for the wetlands preservation. (Or some garbage like that).
    It was a state wide tax of under 1%.
    And it was projected to bring in over $200 million in the first year.
    Is that 'all the money' it needs?
    Don't even get me started on public schools..
    The government fucked that up years ago, no amount of money will fix it until they re-structure that system..
    And our roads?!
    This state is KNOWN for it's TWO seasons..
    Winter and road construction.
    WTF?

It will be a great day when people in this country stand on their own damn two feet and take care of themselves (including NFL team owners).
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415