Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Pinkston doesn't begin to fill list of Vikings' needs

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

[size=11pt]Don't look at this thread title & think of it as yet another Pinkston thread, there are too many of them already.

Reusse thinks we have "gaping holes" on our roster.

What do you think the "gaping holes" are, if any, & what do you think should be done about them?[/size]

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

[size=10pt]Patrick Reusse: Pinkston doesn't begin to fill list of Vikings' needs[/size]

Gaping holes remain on the roster despite the arrival of another ex-Eagle to the fold.

Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Last update: September 02, 2006 – 8:49 PM

Embarrassing moments never go away in the Internet age. That has made Todd Pinkston a hero with Generation Y's football fans. When bored, they go to youtube.com, do a search for Pinkston and "alligator arms," and watch the receiver veering away from a potential touchdown pass and a Washington safety in a game played late in 2004.
    Pinkston's shyness was so blatant that Joe Theismann, an analyst who has made gushing an art, lit him up and finally said, "That's the way you get cut from a football team."

It took another season and a training camp before Philadelphia coach Andy Reid reached that moment with Pinkston. Reid traded with New Orleans for Donte' Stallworth last week and then cut the receiver the Eagles fans came to call "Stinkston."

A Philadelphia football writer offered an explanation for this citywide loathing:

"Toughness has never been Pinky's forte. Two years ago, he sat out the second half of a Super Bowl that was played in 60-degree Jacksonville temps with cramps. That same season he was involved in three memorable plays in which he basically backed off passes from Donovan McNabb because he was afraid of a pending hit from the safety."

And now it's official: Stinkston, Pinky, Gator -- whatever you want to call him -- belongs to us.

The Vikings announced Pinkston's signing on Saturday, a few hours before they would drop 22 players to reach the roster limit of 53.

Adam Goldberg, a starter on the offensive line last season, was traded to St. Louis. The other 21 were cut, with the hope that several of those players -- particularly cornerback Charles Gordon -- will make it through waivers and land on the practice squad.

Several players officially became Vikings busts with Saturday's moves:

• Mike McMahon signed a two-year contract but made it through only two exhibitions before coach Brad Childress started looking elsewhere for a backup quarterback.

• Willie Offord started the season opener as a rookie strong safety in 2002. He never fulfilled that early promise. He had injuries and his best work was on special teams.

• Dustin Fox was drafted as a safety from Ohio State. He was on injured reserve as a rookie in 2005 because of a broken arm. The new Vikings regime tried him in this training camp as a cornerback and he failed to impress. That makes him a third-rounder who never made it to the field in the regular season.

The last third-rounder not to play at all for the Vikings was Gilbert Brown in 1993. He wound up as Green Bay's nose tackle on a pair of teams that went to the Super Bowl.

• The previous coach, Mike Tice, had big hopes for Rod Davis when he saw his athletic ability in 2004. Tice gave him some chances at linebacker, but Davis seemed to play in a state of confusion.

The Vikings' 53-player roster contains 21 players who were not around the organization last season. That's nearly a 40 percent turnover, and it figures to grow.

Rick Spielman, the vice president for player personnel, promised the Vikings will be aggressive in the next few days -- either claiming young players on waivers or signing released veterans.

Spielman used the cliché about looking to upgrade at every position, but a team that brings in Todd Pinkston can't be set at receiver, and a team with a brittle starter (Fred Smoot) and another on injured reserve (Dovonte Edwards) has to be looking for depth at cornerback.

There's also the issue the Vikings have been dealing with since Robert Smith retired before the 2001 season: running back.

Michael Bennett had one effective season -- 1,296 yards in 2002 -- but was unreliable the rest of the time. The leading rushers since then have been Moe Williams with 745 yards in '03, Onterrio Smith with 544 yards in '04 and Mewelde Moore with 662 yards last season. The new starter, Chester Taylor, showed the potential in exhibitions to fit the same mold.

Receiver. Cornerback. Running back. Those are the areas the Vikings should be looking at as they peruse the 600-plus players set adrift by other NFL teams.

And, please, you Wisconsin expatriates out there in Eden Prairie: Don't offer us lumbering Ron Dayne as the guy to push Taylor.

Patrick Reusse can be heard weekdays on AM-1500 KSTP at 6:45 and 7:45 a.m. and 4:40 p.m. [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Pinkston doesn't begin to fill list of Vikings' needs

haha, i got to say, one part of that article that i thought was kind of good was this:

And, please, you Wisconsin expatriates out there in Eden Prairie: Don't offer us lumbering Ron Dayne as the guy to push Taylor.
    although we dont need to worry about that now that pinner is here

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I can't believe Carter is gone.
    Mathis I can see but Carter?
    I think we are already weak at WR.
    Why give up someone that had the best preseason out of the rest?

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I really don't think there are that many holes that are "gaping". We are thing at some positions, but I think as a starting unit especially we're solid.

The fact that we have a 40% turnover rate (on the team) and 100% turnover rate in the coaching staff is scary though. That usually results in early season doldrums. Let's hope Childress can get everyone working cohesively before we take the field next monday.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I agree Ltrey.
    We don't have any gaping holes, but we are dangerously thin at certain positions, namily WR and DB.

We shouldn't be surprised by the turnover rate of coaches or players.
    I think that is exactly what Zygi wanted.
    And don't be surprised if we start out slow.
    Not only do we have a high turnover, but we have a tough first half.
    I won't be shocked if we go 3-5 in the first 8 games.
    Luckily I expect us to go 7-1 to finish.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Yeah 40% turnover for a team that went 9-7 is a bit ridiculous.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

I love Reusse.

You know which word I think best sums up our new head coach? Lukewarm. He likes lukewarm players, hes acts lukewarm, has lukewarm skills (so far), he even looks lukewarm.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree Ltrey.
    We don't have any gaping holes, but we are dangerously thin at certain positions, namily WR and DB.
    And to think that just over a month ago, it seemed like we had a surplus in both categories.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    I agree Ltrey.
    And to think that just over a month ago, it seemed like we had a surplus in both categories.
    True that Singer.
    It's funny how things can change in the matter of a month.
    I still say we get Jack Brewer if possible.
    I think the guy can cover and he's great on special teams.
    Bring him home

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Ya know, if they would have listened to me, they would have had DeAngelo Williams in the backfield and Donnie Edwards as our MLB instead of Greenway on IR and Chester stinking it up in the backfield.
    Now, this may end up working out for us in the long run (in which case, I will gladly eat crow) but it looks pretty gloomy right about now.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast