Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Pick up Nate Clements (Bills), Dump Smoot !!!

I'd take Nate over Smoot any day, I don't care if Nate did have a bad game against Roy Williams. Nate is a more complete CB whom we need for this scheme, hell Nate is the one that bumped Winfield out of Buffalo, but obviously I don't see this happening.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    Yeah why not he only got toasted by Roy Williams 10 times for 161 yards he must be really good because Roy usually has bigger games then that he must be much better then Smoot break the bank and pay him.
    :
    :
    :
    They both came in the league the same year, 2001.
    Both roughly the same size.
    For comparisons sake, let's take the last two years, since that's how long Smoot has been with the Vikes:

Smoot:

2005:
    Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    Int's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

2006:
    Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    Int's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235244

Clements:

-- First off, he has never missed a game since being in the league starting in 2001, Smoot his missed 9 games.

2005:

Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    INT's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

2006:

Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    INT's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235204

Clements is more physical with WR's (this is from my personal observations of both playing), has more assists which to me means he hustles to the ball, has never missed a game since being in the league, doesn't allow 7-9 yrd cushions when his speed has declined (again, personal observations), and doesn't have the baggage.

Smoots current contract is for:

Fred Smoot signed a six-year deal worth $30 million, including a $10 million bonus.
    http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/017428.html

Brian Williams left us last offseason and signed the richest contract for a CB during that period, with Jacksonville:

Brian Williams--with contracts containing at least $9 million in guaranteed money. The club signed Williams in March in free agency to a six-year, $32 million deal, including $10 million in bonus money.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/05/24/BL2006052401351.html

So, whatever Clements is currently making and is scheduled to make as a free agent this offseason, will not be more than what Smoot is currently making.

In my opinion, Clements would be a very attractive commodity to the Vikings front office with the lack of production out of Smoot.
    Clements still works as a return guy also, which Smoot doesn't.

Didn't Smoot take one to the house for a TD earlier this year or was that preseason?

I thought he took one to the house last year too.
    No, EJ and and AW are the only ones with INT's for TD's.
    Smoot did take one to the house. It was in the Ravens preseason game.

With the help of a fourth quarter explosion, the Minnesota Vikings (2-1) defeated the Baltimore Ravens (1-2) 30-7 on Friday night at the Metrodome. Two defensive touchdowns catapulted the Vikings to victory as defensive back Fred Smoot and defensive end Khreem Smith each scored touchdowns.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MplsViking is offline Starter

Yeah, don't get clements because he had 1 bad game.
    I mean smoot has never had a bad game in his career!...cough(steve smith)cough.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    Yeah why not he only got toasted by Roy Williams 10 times for 161 yards he must be really good because Roy usually has bigger games then that he must be much better then Smoot break the bank and pay him.
    :
    :
    :
    They both came in the league the same year, 2001.
    Both roughly the same size.
    For comparisons sake, let's take the last two years, since that's how long Smoot has been with the Vikes:

Smoot:

2005:
    Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    Int's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

2006:
    Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    Int's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235244

Clements:

-- First off, he has never missed a game since being in the league starting in 2001, Smoot his missed 9 games.

2005:

Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    INT's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

2006:

Games:
    Tackles:
    Assists:
    Sacks:
    INT's:
    TD's:
    Pass Defensed:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/235204

Clements is more physical with WR's (this is from my personal observations of both playing), has more assists which to me means he hustles to the ball, has never missed a game since being in the league, doesn't allow 7-9 yrd cushions when his speed has declined (again, personal observations), and doesn't have the baggage.

Smoots current contract is for:

Fred Smoot signed a six-year deal worth $30 million, including a $10 million bonus.
    http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/017428.html

Brian Williams left us last offseason and signed the richest contract for a CB during that period, with Jacksonville:

Brian Williams--with contracts containing at least $9 million in guaranteed money. The club signed Williams in March in free agency to a six-year, $32 million deal, including $10 million in bonus money.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/05/24/BL2006052401351.html

So, whatever Clements is currently making and is scheduled to make as a free agent this offseason, will not be more than what Smoot is currently making.

In my opinion, Clements would be a very attractive commodity to the Vikings front office with the lack of production out of Smoot.
    Clements still works as a return guy also, which Smoot doesn't.

I think Charles Woodson's contract with the packers was worth more than that and Champ Bailey's contract is for around 50 to 60 million.
    Just because bdub signed that contract does not make it a benchmark for clements' deal next offseason.

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

Ive said it b4 and ill say it again we should have kept brian williams and just let smoot suck somewhere else

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I see this has been going strong since I turned my computer off so let me see what I missed a lot of quoting off my sarcastic comment and every poster other then me is showing there hate for Smoot seems to much of the same. Mnjamie none of us have seen Clements play much so those stats won't tell the whole tale and by them from your opinion he will make much more then Smoot since you say he's better and I don't see why they would take Smoot or we would trade him in the first place before the deadline or during next FA.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Del Rio Guest

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "FuadFan" wrote:
    :
    :
    :

What's your solution to the Smoot situation then???
    Branch is gonna Burn him all game next week and is a weakness in our "D" that other teams "O" are taking full advantage of (ie:
    Bears, Bills, Panthers this year) .....
    How do we solve it???
    It's a zone defense. How can a guy get burned? I mean if he misses tackles (which he does) and if he falls down (which he has) then that's one thing, but you probably wont see much of Branch running down field one on one with anyone let alone Smoot. If he has an area of field to defend then he can't be worried about Branch after he leaves that area.

I live in NY, so I am stuck watching the Bills all the time, when I don't go to the bar to watch the Vikings.
    And even there the Bills game is always on at least one TV.
    My personal observation on Clements is that he isn't that good.
    I know plenty of Bills fans who are upset with him this season too, and his lack of production, and the way he looks on the field.
    I'd rather keep Smoot, because believe it or not, Clements is going to ask for more money, and the difference between the two isn't good enough to justify it IMO.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"UndisputedVike" wrote:
    I'd take Nate over Smoot any day, I don't care if Nate did have a bad game against Roy Williams. Nate is a more complete CB whom we need for this scheme, hell Nate is the one that bumped Winfield out of Buffalo, but obviously I don't see this happening.
    Nate DIDN'T bump Winfield out of Buffalo...the salary cap did...the cheap A$$ Bills didn't want to pay him!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

we probably wont get clements... buttt there is a possibility i mean smoot and childress havent exactly been buddy buddy, remember the game childress held smoot out on the first drive because of a "helmet" issue... later learned to be a confrentation with him and the coach, maybe shipping him out with a 5th or th rounder and bring clements in, i like smoot but he is not productive and id much rather have a guy with the same coverage ability but can hit a guy and take him down

Thanks josdin00

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast