Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Photo Gallery: Vikings rookie minicamp

Scout.com: Photo Gallery: Vikings rookie minicamp

Post a football analysis on what you see in a picture (s)....:

Picture 1: Head lower than butt. Nice (course it could be because his arms are so short). Also, I can read his mind...I'm Marrdro's Warpig. I'm Marrdro's Warpig.

Picture 2: Hands on the numbers.....

Picture 5: Pretty poor coverage for a "Shut down CB". A bit behind and out of position. Lets hope he recovered and closed ground for were he is at.

Picture 9: Sponge. Get it close and he can catch it. Love the range this shows.

Picture 14: Bond's stance looks like he is comfortable. Baca looks like he is struggling to get low.

Picture 17: I'm gonna replace Kevin Williams on this roster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Scout.com: Photo Gallery: Vikings rookie minicamp

Post a football analysis on what you see in a picture (s)....:

Picture 1: Head lower than butt. Nice (course it could be because his arms are so short). Also, I can read his mind...I'm Marrdro's Warpig. I'm Marrdro's Warpig.

Picture 2: Hands on the numbers.....

Picture 5: Pretty poor coverage for a "Shut down CB". A bit behind and out of position. Lets hope he recovered and closed ground for were he is at.

Picture 9: Sponge. Get it close and he can catch it. Love the range this shows.

Picture 14: Bond's stance looks like he is comfortable. Baca looks like he is struggling to get low.

Picture 17: I'm gonna replace Kevin Williams on this roster.
    Not sure how you get poor coverage when the DB gets his hands on the ball. I would say that's a damned fine play.

Not sure how you get sponge on a photo that doesn't show him catching the ball. Yea he can bend at the waist, for someone like you and me that's pretty impressive. For a 20 year old kid I think this is pretty much expected

Do we have another 3 months of this before we get at least an organized scrimmage (pre-season game) to dissect?

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Not sure how you get poor coverage when the DB gets his hands on the ball. I would say that's a damned fine play.

Not sure how you get sponge on a photo that doesn't show him catching the ball. Yea he can bend at the waist, for someone like you and me that's pretty impressive. For a 20 year old kid I think this is pretty much expected

Do we have another 3 months of this before we get at least an organized scrimmage (pre-season game) to dissect?
    The WR clearly has position and he is in a "Catchup" mode and he barley gets his hands on the ball. As I said, I hope its a picture of him recovering from a blown coverage cause thats what it looks like.

Assumption is he caught the ball. Hand placement is perfect to support that assumption, and yes, the bend isn't that impressive, that he's bending that far and running as fast as he does, all the while getting those hands in the right place is.

Yessssssss....

On a side note, there are a couple of videos out there that show both Rhodes (always in perfect coverage) and Patterson (running really really fast) doing great. Some of my analysis/assumptions are based off of those. I'd post them but they are up on the pay site that Webby has trouble with all the time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I see, let me give it a try.

On picture 5 what I see is a corner back that was playing zone coverage and had to decide between two receivers in his zone. He put himself in position to make a play on either receiver while staying a bit closer to the deeper part of his zone. Once he saw the where the QB was going he made his break and was able to make a play on the ball due to his extreme athletic ability.

On picture 9, well I don't see much of anything other than a ball 2 feet away from some outstretched arms and hands hopefully coming together in what should be a fairly standard catch. He does have his eyes on the ball.

I see, let me give it a try.

On picture 5 what I see is a corner back that was playing zone coverage and had to decide between two receivers in his zone. He put himself in position to make a play on either receiver while staying a bit closer to the deeper part of his zone. Once he saw the where the QB was going he made his break and was able to make a play on the ball due to his extreme athletic ability.
    That is because you have one fault in life that I've been able to figure out.....You crave a shutdown CB so your missing the truth.

Again, all the videos show (in camp) him in perfect position vs this level of WR's except Patterson. You could be right in your assumption that he got caught in a zone switch, but that kindof dovetails into what I hoped it was......got caught out of position and had the speed to recover.

On picture 9, well I don't see much of anything other than a ball 2 feet away from some outstretched arms and hands hopefully coming together in what should be a fairly standard catch. He does have his eyes on the ball.
    You gotta watch some more film on this cat. He catches everything that gets in his wheel house. Based on his hand placement I bet he caught that one.

On a side note, just watched another clip up on Vikings Update. He came off the line fast, made a cut and the CB was left sitting on his ass as he tried to cut with him. Amazing cut, amazing.

I can't wait to see this guy play with some NFL coaching behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    That is because you have one fault in life that I've been able to figure out.....You crave a shutdown CB so your missing the truth.

Again, all the videos show (in camp) him in perfect position vs this level of WR's except Patterson. You could be right in your assumption that he got caught in a zone switch, but that kindof dovetails into what I hoped it was......got caught out of position and had the speed to recover.

You gotta watch some more film on this cat. He catches everything that gets in his wheel house. Based on his hand placement I bet he caught that one.

On a side note, just watched another clip up on Vikings Update. He came off the line fast, made a cut and the CB was left sitting on his ass as he tried to cut with him. Amazing cut, amazing.

I can't wait to see this guy play with some NFL coaching behind him.
    I think your mistaking me with other posters. I have never clamored for a shut down corner. I actually appreciate the corners who are equally good at defending the pass and the run, mostly because that's what we ask from them. Does that mean I have no faults? Hmmmm...

Can we go back to you're statement on Winfield where you said you want your db's to be better in pass coverage then they are in run support and then compare that to you constantly saying we don't need a shut down corner. So you appreciate pass defense more than run defense, but your okay if the pass defense isn't best in class. I think that ends up getting you a mediocre corner in both aspects of the game. Warpig to the rescue.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    OK, here is my take on looking at the new faces:

This is Fukking awesome!

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    17. This helmet is pretty darn matte for an NFL team.

Shiny new players in dull helmets.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Pictures are worth a 1000 word or a 1000 different interpretations.

Go to the media vault on the Vikings website and you can see the CB do his thing for that photo. I think it is on the Rhodes clip.

I think your mistaking me with other posters. I have never clamored for a shut down corner. I actually appreciate the corners who are equally good at defending the pass and the run, mostly because that's what we ask from them. Does that mean I have no faults? Hmmmm...
    Either you don't have any faults or one of my spreadsheets is wrong and that would mean I have a fault. I wonder what option I should pick here.....

Can we go back to you're statement on Winfield where you said you want your db's to be better in pass coverage then they are in run support and then compare that to you constantly saying we don't need a shut down corner. So you appreciate pass defense more than run defense, but your okay if the pass defense isn't best in class. I think that ends up getting you a mediocre corner in both aspects of the game. Warpig to the rescue.
    I completely understand that the CB's have to be good in run support in this scheme. What I've said, and would like to see is better play by our DT's so that they wouldn't have to support the run as much which could possibly keep them around for 16 games or so.

And I've never said we don't need shut down CBs, what I've said is the scheme the staff runs doesn't warrant them.

I would love to get rid of the C2 defense all together, but judging by the talent they drafted of late, that isn't going to happen.

In this discussion, I'm saying that this cat is not in the right position (based on the photo and what I've seen him doing in some clips) if he was playing man is all.