Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: PHoD looks back on the 2008 off season (2008 draft results include)!

yeah, even if a few things were out there. He put a lot of time and effort into that first post researching draft picks and such.

PH is a notorious TJ hater so of course he included us getting a new QB. Someone has to do the initial work to get the pp.o fingers in motion.

SharperImage is offline Hall of Famer

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    The Minnesota Vikings master plan for becoming greatness in due time. My projected plan for the Vikes

LOOKING BACK AT 2008 FOR THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS:

In response to a year that only won against the Lions at home, Packers at home, Washington, Kansas City and Atlanta in a dismal 5-11 season The Minnesota Vikings get the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Vikings were 1st against the run but not near as good as there 2006 season and 18th against the pass having a top 5 defense. There offense, however, had the 3rd worst passing game in the league only to the Tennessee Titans with Vince Young doing terrible, and Oakland with Culpepper. The Minnesota Vikings did however have a top 5 run game. With dominance on both sides of the line they managed to stay in most of there games but weak against and with the pass caused losses when in those situations they weren't able to strike on those final drives through the air and werent able to defend the pass when their opponents were constructing final drives. Owner of the Minnesota Vikings,

It has been an eventful off season for the Vikings. Zigi Wilf fires head coach Brad Childress. Former Super Bowl Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers
    Bill Cower who had previously spoken after the 2006 season that he would take 1 year off has comeback and has been hired by the Minnesota Vikings. Also the Minnesota Vikings sign free agent WR Reche Caldwell of the New England Patriots who's contract expired this year with the Pats. Then the Minnesota Vikings traded QB Tarvaris Jackson during the draft. Teams around the league got to see Jacksons raw talent, skills and potential last year and and though his numbers weren't good teams showed interest in this young quarterback and the team trades him to the Baltimore Ravens who wanted a quarterback who will be ready and had experience and McNair left in a year. In return the Minnesota Vikings receive a 4th round draft pick. Many compared this trade to that of Matt Shaub when he was drafted to be developed for trade value to be traded. Coach Cowher who made this trade happen many believed to do it to get rid of Chilly's project or "baby" as some put it and rebuild around a new guy. Others believed that Cowher wants a guy in the fourth round who he thinks can be a steal. Whatever the reason here are the results of the 2008 NFL Draft.

With the 6th pick of the 2008 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select

Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College, 6'4", 224 lbs.

With Brohm being taken number 2 by Atlanta this guy was a great pick up at number 6. I actually had this guy rated number 1 quarterback this years draft. Many will say your crazy and name quarterbacks rated higher and put up better numbers then Ryan. Like Brohm. The thing that seperates Matt Ryan from other quarterbacks is that he doesnt have the weapons the other quarterbacks do. His receivers are no stars who drop a lot of passes. Brohm has the Mario Urrutia (6'6" 220 and a sub-4.5 40 yard dash and one of the best in college football and a top end number two with Harry Douglas and Patrick Carter all of which are expected to be drafted this year by the fifth round.). He is a smart quarterback who has dead on accuracy with a strong arm. He also anticipates receivers better then any quarterback in this draft class.
    While Ryan is fairly mobile, his strength is standing in the pocket and firing the ball downfield. He is a tall quarterback (6'4") with great awareness and presence in the pocket. His teammates call him "Matty Ice" because when he's on the field he is cool and calm. He has great foot work and can read defenses well. By his Junior year
    he went 14-4 in 18 starts and was 4th in school history for completions and 5th in passing yards. He is tough. Played with an injured foot for most of the 2006 season and still threw for 2,942 yards and 15 TDs. Can't wait to see what he does when healthy. The only thing I can question about this guy is his deep ball accuracy. On some of the throws I have seen he has overthrown his receiver on the deep ball. He is a great quarterback that can lead a team and really deserves this pick by the Minnesota Vikings at number six.

In the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft The Minnesota Vikings select

Red Bryant, DT, Texas A&M, 6'5", 324

Well many saw it coming. A Defensive Tackle here in the second. The Minnesota Vikings take this guy off the board and what a guy. A guy who take over for Pat Williams and make his own very big foot steps in the NFL. One thing that really impresses me about this kid is his speed off the ball with the biggest frame in this years draft. He runs a 5.02 40 time. How many 6-5 324lbs nose guard do you know that nearly break the 5 second mark. Excellent size and excellent speed. Posted 19 tackles, including a sack and 2.5 tackles for losses. And all this in 8 games. And his Junior year! Played in 8 games before having season-ending knee surgery on Nov. 17. used his big frame to bat down five passes and made the game-winning extra point block in overtime against Oklahoma State. had season-high five tackles against Army. Voted a 2006 Permanent Team Captain. His senior year was spectacular coming back from his injury and was a great run stuffer. Got double teamed nearly all year last year and still managed to put up great numbers. A big year for this young kid was good enough to warrant this pick by the Minnesota Vikings. I'd keep an eye on this kid because in 3 years or so this kid could make a big impact in the NFL for the Minnesota Vikings.

In the 3rd round Minnesota Vikings select

John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame, 6'5", 290 lbs.

I really like this guy here in the third round. and a guy I love for the Minnesota Vikings. I had him going just a few spots later but is still a great pick. He is a fantastic Center who can also line up as a guard. Birk is old and Sullivan will be a great guy to take over for him in a couple years. They tried a couple years back with Cook but he ended up competing for a Tackle spot. The weakest spot of the Minnesota Vikings O-Line and only weak spot is at right guard and Sullivan will be able to line up as guard when needed and I think they'll do that to really halp tat guard position. He is a Experienced, pivotal player at center. started all 13 games at center and has 33 career starts at the position, including the last 21 games. He helped an explosive offense that averaged 31.0 points and 389.8 yards per game (264.1 passing, 125.7 rushing). He helped lead the way as halfback Darius Walker eclipsed 100 rushing yards in six games. A guy who posted back to back 1000 yards rushing seasons and owes that to the newest member of the Minnesota Vikings. ranked as the fourth-best center in the nation entering 2007 and number 1 by Mel Kiper. But everyone knows Mel Kiper doesn't know crap which is why he was the 3rd center to be taken in this year draft but is number two on my list.

With the 6th pick of Day 2 in the 2008 draft.

Bobbie Williams, FS, Bethune-Cookman, 6'0", 190 lbs

Bobbie Williams is a good pick here. I thought they would have gone with Minnesota Safety Dominique Barber but a solid pick none the less. A great guy who will adjust quickly to the NFL level. A great guy who can fill in for Sharper when it is needed. Bobbie Williams is hands down no question the best Safety in Division I-AA football and some would argue the best ever to come out of division I-AA. He is a ball hawking interception machine. Entering his last year he tied the record for most interception in B-CU ever with a stunning 13 interceptions and shattered it his senior year. Surpassing Booker Reese (1977-80) with 218 career tackles. This kid is an amazing safety. In his 06 season, Williams was named to the All-MEAC First Team for defense, and tied for third nationally in interceptions per game (0.55). But as amazing as he was there he also made 75 tackle in his 06 season top 10 nationally. 33 tackles later in 07 he broke another Division record with most tackles in school history. Most tackles. So you know he can lay a hit and isnt afraid to make some contact. Most interceptions. Hes very quick seeking out that ball and getting to where he knows he needs to be. Whats wrong with him? When you pick a division I-AA player you always face a risk. The competition is a big change but Im confident this guy will adjust. The guys you hear that dont adjust are the guys who werent very dominent at the division AA level. This guy shattered record after record for the Wildcats and I think he should turn out great for the Minnesota Vikings.

With Baltimores pick in the 2008 Draft the Minnesota Vikings select

Greg Carr, WR, Florida State, 6'6", 205

I had this guy going later but it is still a wonderful pick up. This guy will fix two of Minnesota's major weak points. With Minnesota's redzone production at not even cracking the top 25 (26th) this guy will really help this team. This guy has a sub 4.5 40 and great hands.But what really made this guy deserve this pick is at 6'6" 205 all you have to do is put it up there and 9 out of 10 times he'll get it. This guy is the guy your going to want to go to in the red zone. Perfect ideal redzone receiver. This team will love him when they get down there inside the 20. He had 12 touchdowns his sophmore year alone. The other thing that he will fix for the vikings is special teams.
    The ACC's top returning touchdown threat at the wide out position. He will definately help out that special teams for this team. He entered 2007 on top of the watch list for the Maxwell Award given to the most outstanding player in college football. named a pre-season honorable mention All-American by NationalChamps.net. named a preseason All-ACC selection by Blue Ribbon, a first team All-ACC selection by Athlon and a second team All- ACC selection by The Sporting News. All this just in 06. The 07 list is even longer. I guess this is the guy Cowher was talking about when he got this pick for Tarvaris Jackson.

With the 5th round pick of the 2008 NFL Draft the Minnesota Vikings select

Robert Henderson, DE, Southern Miss, 6'3" 280lbs

Runs fast for a 280-pounder. Great frame with great speed. Notched 4.5 sacks in 2006 and that was coming off a shoulder injury. He is used a lot on special teams and will be a great guy who will be dominent on special teams both seeking out the returner and creating a wedge for him. Selected as a member of the 2006 Coaches' All-Conference third team. Also named to the second team of the Media's 2006 All-Conference football teams. No. 10 in C-USA in tackles for loss. Named the co-defensive Player of the Week by the coaching staff following his performance against Tulane. I dont know if this guy can become a Julius Peppers or Jevon Kearse but he will definately make himself known in the NFL in time which was enough to warrant this pick by the Minnesota Vikings.

With the sixth round pick of the Minnesota Vikings we select

Ben Moffitt, ILB, South Florida 6'3", 240 lbs

I like this guy. He has good size and speed. He runs a high 4.6. The reason I like this guy is because he has all the traits you can't teach and great at all of it and not many of the things you can teach. Things like what your job is and how to recognize plays but he is a determined player who wants to succeed and will work his heart out to make a difference for the team. I think most coaches like him becuase of that. His work ethic and determination. And most coaches feel that he has everything I cant teach him and can become like a pupil to most to teach him all the things that can be taught. He is a great player.He is just raw. In 06 he led South Florida with 112 tackles. this guy will be a great addition for the Minnesota Vikings.

With the
    last pick of the Vikings draft they select

Ernie Wheelwright, WR, Minnesota, 6'6" 215

Now this guy was rated really low even though I liked him but I am a gopher fan. He had a good year last year. People really underrated him having a true freshman as a quarterback for him. I think the Vikings are looking for another guy like Marques Colston who had a simialar stature as Colston. When this guy tries and wants to be good he is as good as a 3-4th rounder. He could be a star. His forty time made him drop in this years draft but I think that if this guy can have a good attitude in the NFL he could become on of the best. If not he'll end up a no name. But I have faith. Has started 32 of 37 career games played has 93 receptions for 1,659 yards
    ranks seventh in school history in career receiving yards. ranks tied for second on the school’s career touchdown receptions list with 17 currently ranks third in school history for average yards per catch at 17.8 ranks second among all active players with 1,662 career all-purpose yards. Minnesota career Bowl leader with 165 yards receiving and two receiving touchdowns.
    In 06 he came on late in the season, snagging a touchdown pass in each of the last four games. In 07 he did great continuing his last 4 games success. This guy is at his best on the drag in the endzone inside the 20 in 07. But not many paid much attention on account that one year wasnt good enough to warrant that pick and he really flew under the radar with the true freshman quarterback.

Vikings picked up a young athletic linebacker in free agency after cuts were made.

All in all I would rate the Vikings draft an A- but the best of any. They adressed the quarterback situation greatly with Matt Ryan. A defenseive tackle gave them a lot more depths and a safety net if something went wrong with the defensive tackles. They also gave them more depth and a guy to take over for the aging
    Shaper who is a absolute beast. They adressed both red zone and special teams which were there two weakest points with Carr, Henderson, and possibly Wheelwright. Wide receivers are now a great set up with a lot of young talent (Williamson, Rice, Allison, and Carr and Wheelwright but what you need with all that youth at one position is a solid number 1 who is a veteran and they did that with Reche Caldwell. The d-end Henderson in my eyes will never become a star but a good end to get the second spot. The reason I gave it a - was the failure to get a star d-end but I beleive the Minnesota Vikings beleive that Robison can be that guy. I still think they need someone. Linebacker was adressed and was a great pick up for the vikes in free agency and this guy they drafted I wouldnt be suprised to see this guy make an impact on that team in a few years after developing on the developmental squad or even make the team.

Hmmm too much time on your hands buddy. to write this whole article. thats crazy.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    whoever wrote this is on crack/has nothing worthwhile to do

Attacking member

hey, that green dot looks like the ones on the back of some NFL helmets....
    ;D

Can I have one too ?.....
    ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

minnesotapride is offline Training Camp

C'mon u guys. Give him a break. Is it really the worst thing u have read b4? He just gave his opinion and took time to make it and gave us a detailed summary of the 08 season and draft. Not the best post, but i'll give u some props for the work u put into it.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

As a person that is easily nauseated by mock drafts even weeks before the actual draft, I thought this post was funny and somewhat entertaining.
    At least there was some original thought.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"minnesotapride" wrote:
    C'mon u guys. Give him a break. Is it really the worst thing u have read b4? He just gave his opinion and took time to make it and gave us a detailed summary of the 08 season and draft. Not the best post, but i'll give u some props for the work u put into it.
    Exactly.
    Its not like the guy made some weak one-liner.
    Dude put some time and effort into it.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Wow. PHoD, you put a hell of a lot of work into that post.
    I don't agree with any of it, but you put put a lot of work into it. ;D

Seriously, I think the key break in logic is your prediction of the Vikings going 5-11 despite a top five D and a top five run game.
    It just doesn't work that way.
    I do agree with one thing though.
    If we go 5-11, Brad Childress will be looking for new work...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The new Marrdro comes to play here.
    ;D

As NP said, he put alot of effort into this.
    Way to go buddy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I'm sorry PHoD but you just assume too much in that article for me. The focus on the draft is good, but otherwise its just too hard to look that far ahead. I know that you are trying to focus on next season not this one. I am not capable of doing the same, but I will try.

1. You have us starting 3-1, then going 2-10 to finish the season. Ouch.

2. You have us being worse than last year. I just don't see that.

3. You have us trading TJ, which just won't happen. If we go 5-11 it will be because TJ didn't cut it. We would bench him midseason, in the middle of our 2-10 stretch, giving him zero trade value. Considering Williamson is still here after two years of mediocrity, TJ will be here too, even if he isn't starting. If TJ doesn't pan out I look for Childress to get the best veteran QB in FA (depending on how Holcomb does), draft a QB with the first pick, and have TJ as the 3rd stringer. That is basically what the Titans did last year.

4. Speaking of Chilldress, well if we go 5-11 I'll be calling for his head. Wilf can either fire him, or sign a marquee QB and WR and give him one more year. I'm not talking about players who "fit the scheme" I'm talking fucking superstars. If he does fire him however, I would hate to do the whole "up and coming coach thing again." Wilf needs to get a coach with a proven record and pay him big bucks to come to Minny. Cowher is definetly one of those guys, but a couple things make me iffy on him. Mainly, do we want to convert to a 3-4 defense? I hope the answer is no if we get Cowher. Doing that to a top-ranked D is just senseless.

Diasgreements aside, I love your draft strategy. Get one star, then provide talented options to replace aging vets in the future. No WR help though. Is that because you think the guys we have now can get
    the job done with a better QB?

I hope your FA analysis is on the way.

P.S. Keep your eye on Earl Bennett, WR, Vanderbilt.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    The new Marrdro comes to play here.
    ;D

As NP said, he put alot of effort into this.
    Way to go buddy.
    What if we liked the old Marrdro?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast