Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

PFT's Team checklist: Minnesota Vikings

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/team-checklist-minnesota-vikings/

Pretty accurate list I'd say...or, I could see it going down this way anyway. With our cap where it is, we're going to have to make some tough decisions and try and strike gold in the bargain bin!

Only thing missing is a No.8 that says resign AP long term once the season starts and/or when the other signings work is finished!!

1. Find a veteran quarterback
    2. Sign Chad Greenway to a long-term contract
    3. Say farewell to Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian
    4. Make a decision on Pat Williams
    5. Bid adieu to Madieu
    6. Shop for bargains that fit the schemes
    7. Consider one more dance with Randy Moss
    Everything we've heard is that they want to start Ponder, so I'm guessing, we can't and won't spend big money on QB tho we obviously need to consider adding some sort of veteran to the mix. This is a big decision that could possibly have repurcussions on our young guys development. Hope they can find a good guy in our price range!?!!

I hate to see Rice go, but don't see us able to pony up large dollars for him either...?

I like the idea of adding Weddle or somehow otherwise upgrading safety. Seems we've tried our luck in the draft a lot lately and come up rather empty handed, or, with a slew of average guys anyway. Safety may be one of those positions where experience makes a big enough difference that you ought to go with a veteran option...?

Here's my answer to the Pat Williams question, on PFT's top 80 Free Agents:

18. Aubrayo Franklin, 49ers DT: A quick solution for teams needing a run stopper. Perhaps a late career Pat Williams
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Re: PFT's Team checklist: Minnesota Vikings

Speculation about Thigpen returning to be a bridge QB. It would make sense. He knows the team to some extent, he has shown some flashes of brilliance, and we wouldn't need to bet the farm on him like we would with McNabb.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "lumberjackgreg" #1100803
    Speculation about Thigpen returning to be a bridge QB. It would make sense. He knows the team to some extent, he has shown some flashes of brilliance, and we wouldn't need to bet the farm on him like we would with McNabb.
    please god no.

We don't need to bring in a crap project QB. If we're going with Ponder, go with Ponder. If we're going with a vet, get one who's proven to be capable. Thigpen has failed in KC and Miami, we don't need him.... again.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100804
    please god no.

We don't need to bring in a crap project QB. If we're going with Ponder, go with Ponder. If we're going with a vet, get one who's proven to be capable. Thigpen has failed in KC and Miami, we don't need him.... again.
    The reality is Ponder may not be ready to be the starting QB in 7 weeks. Yes you could put his feet to the fire anyway, but I would prefer if they put him in a position to succeed before giving him the keys to the Vikings ship.
    Not saying I want thigpen, I don't, but we may need someone to start a few games or a season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1100809
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1100804
    please god no.

The reality is Ponder may not be ready to be the starting QB in 7 weeks. Yes you could put his feet to the fire anyway, but I would prefer if they put him in a position to succeed before giving him the keys to the Vikings ship.
    Not saying I want thigpen, I don't, but we may need someone to start a few games or a season.
    Rather have Bulger, Gradkowski, Hasslebeck, Pennington or Volek.

Money truck is currently being backed up to Hasselbeck's home. State of origin: Tennessee. Don't expect him to be available much longer.

Notice Palmer not on your list....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "lumberjackgreg" #1100812
    Money truck is currently being backed up to Hasselbeck's home. State of origin: Tennessee. Don't expect him to be available much longer.

Notice Palmer not on your list....
    Palmer isn't a free agent.

Alex Smith?

:laugh: sorry couldn't say that with a straight face...

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "lumberjackgreg" #1100814
    Alex Smith?

:laugh: sorry couldn't say that with a straight face...
    Probably not the worst option out there.

Started on a crappy team, got jerked around by his coaches, has 5 years experience, and has better stats than you might suspect after reading the San Fran media hack on him.

Keep in mind that the Mayor of San Fran once said that Jeff Garcia shouldn't even play football....

I can think of far worse options.....like Thigpen.

Caine

KevinK is offline Starter

What about a yr contract with Vince Young? Why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast