Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

PFT says Tomlin best fit for Steelers HC

OSTED 7:24 a.m. EST; UPDATED 7:42 a.m. EST, December 30, 2006

NAMES EMERGE FOR NEW STEELERS COACH

Since the hiring of a new head coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers happens roughly as frequently as the selection of a new pope, the process that apparently will be kick-started when (as everyone with a pulse believes) Bill Cowher announces his retirement in the coming days figures to be mysterious, compelling, and (in the end) full of potential surprises.

The obvious candidates for the job -- offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm -- arguably have been diminished by the team's 7-8 season.
    Though these guys haven't suddenly morphed into unworthy coaches, we think that the powers-that-be will be more inclined to go outside the organization in the hopes that a breath of fresh air will get the players who were on the Super Bowl-winning team to quit feeling so good about themselves for winning a Super Bowl, and to start focusing on getting another one.

Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review takes a decent stab at compiling a list of potential candidates not currently on the payroll.
    Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is obvious, and one of the few "hot" coordinators this season.
    We're also intrigued by 49ers assistant Mike Singeltary, a high-intensity Hall-of-Famer who is still light on coaching experience but who could be exactly what a seemingly rudderless roster needs to get back on track.

Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron gets a mention by Brown, primarily because his team is 13-2.
    (Under that same reasoning, San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips also merits consideration, but then again he's not a spring chicken and, he has failed in to head-coaching stints.)

Brown also brings up the name of Rutgers coach Greg Schiano, a 40-year-old up-and-comer who recently declined an opportunity to be considered at the University of Miami.

The key factors, we believe, will be minority and youth.
    Since the rule that has encouraged consideration of minority hiring is named for Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, and given that the team's last two head-coaching hires were both under the age of 40, our guess is that the Rooneys will feel compelled to name the franchise's first African-American head coach, and that they also will want someone young enough to stick around for at least 15 years.

The best guy who fits those two criteria is, in our view, Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

Tomlin, at 35, has five years' experience as the defensive backs coach in Tampa and one year as a defensive coordinator.
    He likely would have had more time as a coordinator, but the Bucs are notorious for refusing to allow assistant coaches still under contract from accepting promotions short of head coach.

And in one year with the Vikings, Tomlin has put together an excellent run defense.
    The pass defense has been somewhat suspect, primarily because the team doesn't yet have ideal personnel to run the Cover 2 defense.

That would also be a problem in Pittsburgh, where the 3-4 attack has been the base package for years.
    But in an era where plenty of free agents are available every offseason, we think that Tomlin could within a year or two have the right people in place to make the Steelers the next great Cover 2 unit in the NFL.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: PFT says Tomlin best fit for Steelers HC

If Wilf lets Tomlin walk to take that job I'm going to be on his front doorstep in NJ within 15 minutes.

Not only do I despise the Pittsburgh Steelers, but Tomlin is the best young DC to come around in a long long time and I would rather see him promoted to HC and give Childress the boot than just let Tomlin take a job in Pittsburgh.

Don't take the job Tomlin, don't let him go Zygi, fans show Tomlin your apprecation make him want to stay. We can not lose him.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

That would be just the luck of a Viking fan.. We get somebody in here that is good, and is making an immediate impact, and the next minute he is gone.. I honestly would like to see Tomlin stick around, and if Childress faulters next season to replace him as our new HC.. This is a time where they should sit Mike Tomlin down and tell him that they will refuse to let him take the job in Pittsburg (if that indeed happens) because they have better plans for him in Minnesota..

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I know we're into post season speculation but I pray that we're not going to lose Tomlin already. He has made a big difference already and still has plenty to do, if we have to get a new DC then all this seasons work will be for naught.
    Fingers crossed that Tomlin wants to stay here as he feels the possibilities are better.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

If they hire Schiano or Tomlin I will be greatly pissed

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Tomlin will be our head coach in 5 years. just wait and see

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Tomlin is not going anywhere.

His resume is small with only 1 year as a Defensive Co.
    He did have a good pass rush but a lot of people think that is because teams chose not to run on us.
    Hell, there aint much to put on his resume for our Pass D.
    There is a red flag right there.

Bretto is offline Rookie

Yeah I would be really surprised if he went anywhere.
    Tomlin was a secondary coach that was supposed to be his speciality, we are ranked in the bottom for pass defense.
    Our run defense, I don't give much credit to tomlin for this. I mean any team having a heathly Keven and Pat Williams would be pretty good against the run.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

I don't believe for a second that Pittsburgh wouldn't promote one of their own to head coach if Cowher is done. Though Tomlin will be a head coach down the line and nobody should stop him from that opportunity when and if he wants it.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    If Wilf lets Tomlin walk to take that job I'm going to be on his front doorstep in NJ within 15 minutes.

Not only do I despise the Pittsburgh Steelers, but Tomlin is the best young DC to come around in a long long time and I would rather see him promoted to HC and give Childress the boot than just let Tomlin take a job in Pittsburgh.

Don't take the job Tomlin, don't let him go Zygi, fans show Tomlin your apprecation make him want to stay. We can not lose him.
    Shoot I would give my right arm for that to happen!

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast