Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: PFT reports that Vikes are looking for a veteran Quarterback

"V" wrote:
    Can we at least agree that if Childress signs a vet now he is a dumbass? Why wait till now?
    I agree.
    He should have had a veteran QB signed months ago.
    Someone to tutor TJack and step in and play if he is not ready.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Couple other points to ponder gentlemen......

a.
    Premise of the article is that B-chill and the staff are looking at a Vet QB because thier jobs might be on the line.

Everything I have read this year or heard on TV is in fact the opposite.
    Ziggy is behind the big picture plan of rebuilding with youth for the long haul.
    With that in mind I think the current coaching staff (not just B-chill) has a bit more time than a 2 year window to produce.

b.
    TJ hasn't progressed as planned.

Again, everything I have read or watched on the tube shows that he is in fact progressing along nicely. Is he ready to win us a SB?
    Probably not.
    But is he stinking up the place in OTA's to the point that all hope is lost?
    Probably not that either.

On a side note, they might/could bring a guy in that fits the system for competition (i.e. Holcomb for a 7th round pick) or if one of the QB's goes down in TC but I just don't see it as a "B-chill insurance policy" or as "TJ isn't what was expected" plan.
    Agreed. In addition there is no value in having a mediocre veteran tutor a young QB.
    I don't know about that.
    Mediocre or not, there's a reason that these guys hang around the NFL year-after-year.
    Don't you think Gus Frerotte played a pretty big role with the Vikings when he was backing up Daunte?

=Z=
    Did he tutor Daunte? If so it didn't work.
    He played better than Daunte when he had his shot and that was truly valuable.
    Otherwise I'm not sure how he was any more valuable than Bollinger might be.
    Why trade one mediocre player for another?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not talking about a mentor as much as a solid contingency plan. Most teams have an average run-of-the mill QB who isn't great but proven to not suck. Jim Sorgi/David Carr/Damon Huard are examples. We don't have that.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"V" wrote:
    I'm not talking about a mentor as much as a solid contingency plan. Most teams have an average run-of-the mill QB who isn't great but proven to not suck. Jim Sorgi/David Carr/Damon Huard are examples. We don't have that.
    I don't have a problem with Bollinger as the back-up, i am more worried about Tjack as the starter.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"V" wrote:
    I don't disagree with that concept. It's just that Childress had Bollinger as the contingency plan last year and I think he is going to stick with him unless someone gets hurt.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Couple other points to ponder gentlemen......

a.
    Premise of the article is that B-chill and the staff are looking at a Vet QB because thier jobs might be on the line.

Everything I have read this year or heard on TV is in fact the opposite.
    Ziggy is behind the big picture plan of rebuilding with youth for the long haul.
    With that in mind I think the current coaching staff (not just B-chill) has a bit more time than a 2 year window to produce.

b.
    TJ hasn't progressed as planned.

Again, everything I have read or watched on the tube shows that he is in fact progressing along nicely. Is he ready to win us a SB?
    Probably not.
    But is he stinking up the place in OTA's to the point that all hope is lost?
    Probably not that either.

On a side note, they might/could bring a guy in that fits the system for competition (i.e. Holcomb for a 7th round pick) or if one of the QB's goes down in TC but I just don't see it as a "B-chill insurance policy" or as "TJ isn't what was expected" plan.
    Agreed. In addition there is no value in having a mediocre veteran tutor a young QB.
    I don't know about that.
    Mediocre or not, there's a reason that these guys hang around the NFL year-after-year.
    Don't you think Gus Frerotte played a pretty big role with the Vikings when he was backing up Daunte?

=Z=
    He had a huge role backing up Daunte.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345