Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

PFT reports that Vikes are looking for a veteran Quarterback

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
    POSTED 3:25 p.m. EDT, July 11, 2007

VIKES LOOKING FOR VETERAN QUARTERBACK

Although Tarvaris Jackson remains the clear favorite to win the starting quarterback job in Minnesota, there's talk in league circles that the Vikings are hoping to find a veteran backup before the start of training camp.

Our guess is that coach Brad Childress (and perhaps some folks in the front office who might be in jeopardy if owner Zygi Wilf decides to dump the coach) wants to have a solid Plan B in place in the event that Jackson can't cut it.
    Currently, the alternative is Brooks Bollinger, who might be a decent in-game injury replacement but not the guy on whose shoulders a coach should pin his career.

The only problem with this strategy is that there really aren't many/any veteran quarterbacks on the market.
    Drew Bledsoe opted for retirement.
    Daunte Culpepper is (or will be) available, but his bridge back to the land of Paul Bunyan was blown to smithereens in 2006.
    Chris Weinke, a local native, is available, but the only problem is that he's Chris Weinke.

Another possibility would be for the Vikes to swing a deal for the eventual odd man out in Jacksonville, if the Jags land Daunte Culpepper.
    But Quinn Gray or David Garrard might not have the level of experience that the Vikes might be looking for.

Perhaps the best bet is Kelly Holcomb, who's otherwise likely to get the short straw in Philly.
    Though his time with the Eagles has been short, he'd be able to continue to develop in an identical offense in Minnesota.
    Also, unless Donovan McNabb would have an unexpected setback in his ACL rehab that would land him on the PUP list, it's very likely that Holcomb will be cut, given the presence of A.J. Feely and the addition of Kevin Kolb.
    So the Vikes could likely snare him now for a seventh-round pick.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Blog Entries

Re: PFT reports that Vikes are looking for a veteran Quarterback

I don't buy it personally.
    PFT was the same site that started the Holcomb to Vikes rumor last week, and I think it is still just that -a rumor.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

Just read a similar piece at PFW:

A possible minor deal that has been discussed: sending Eagles QB Kelly Holcomb to Minnesota for a 2008 late-round pick, likely a sixth- or seventh-rounder. A source confirmed that Vikings head coach Brad Childress, still friendly with his former Eagles co-workers, is keeping one eye open for veteran quarterbacks and possibly would be interested in Holcomb’s services.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    PFT was the same site that started the Holcomb to Vikes rumor last week, and I think it is still just that -a rumor.
    PFT is also the place that suggested Bill Belichek wants to cement his legacy by winning a Super Bowl as an NFC coach just last week.
    I think they're bored, too.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I don't see any harm in spending a 7th round pick on Holcomb.
    Just more competition.
    The only down side is it seems like TJack has been gearing up to be the starter.
    I'm fine with that IF chilly REALLY thinks that the kid is ready.
    Otherwise, why traumatize TJack.
    I'm going to be pissed if I have to watch deer in headlights for any extended period of time.

Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    PFT is also the place that suggested Bill Belichek wants to cement his legacy by winning a Super Bowl as an NFC coach just last week.
    I think they're bored, too.

=Z=
    Good point.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I say BS. The entire offseason has passed and not a single veteran was looked at (no Schaub, Carr or Green) and now in the 11th hour, 2 weeks before training camp starts they are looking for a vet? No way.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I say BS. The entire offseason has passed and not a single veteran was looked at (no Schaub, Carr or Green) and now in the 11th hour, 2 weeks before training camp starts they are looking for a vet? No way.
    I do believe the asking price was to high for Schaub.
    I don't believe many teams were interested in Trent Green.
    I don't see why they would have been anyway.
    I think we should have made a play on Carr.
    He had no line in Houston.
    There is no telling if he could be good or not.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    I do believe the asking price was to high for Schaub.
    I don't believe many teams were interested in Trent Green.
    I don't see why they would have been anyway.
    I think we should have made a play on Carr.
    He had no line in Houston.
    There is no telling if he could be good or not.
    Can anyone say Daunte.

Dragon_Eagle is offline Waterboy

Carr, Green, and Schaub would not have made sense for Minnesota.
    All 3 are clearly starting caliber QBs (well, we'll find out if Schaub is - but he certainly has been hyped as one).
    It wouldn't make sense for the Vikings, unless they were giving up on Jackson already, which doesn't appear to be the case.

The Holcomb rumor has been around for a while now and its one of those that appears to help both teams.
    Here's a LINK http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6973966
    to a piece by Schein with quotes from Holcomb expressing interest in the move to Minny.
    Holcomb would be an upgrade over Bollinger and add veteran depth.
    The Eagles will likely settle for a 7th round pick and be thrilled with a 6th.
    However, this trade will not occur until the Eagles are comfortable that McNabb is ready to go.
    They may also wait until late into pre-season to see if Holcomb's market value rises if other teams suffer injuries to their QBs.
    The Eagles love collecting draft picks and provided there are no injuries to the other 3 QBs on the roster, there is just no room for Holcomb.
    "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast