Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Re:Peterson Wants Favre/Taking fumbles seriously

We are all pretty desperate for AP to hold on to the football but deep down we are always going to be thinking he is due a fumble, i tired to think if i could, would i swap AP for any other RB in the game and the answer,even with all the fumbles, is no.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    People talk about Petersons fumbles the way we used to talk about Favre's interceptions.
    Yes it's a problem, but it's still Adrian Peterson. I'll take Peterson and his 9 fumbles every time(atleast every time it comes with 2000yds and 21tds).
    As long as it doesn't come with fumbling away the Championship game or Super Bowl I'm happy with him. If he fumbles away our chance at glory than what good is he?

RBs are a dime a dozen, granted not at Peterson's level, but much easier to come by than say a QB. As evidenced last year I think a RBs production, especially in our system starts with line blocking. Peterson showed the ability to punch it into the end zone but his huge gains and monster yardage seemed to take a big dip.

I can finally see the "haters" point (and I use the term "haters" very loosely).
    He may have fumbled away our chance at glory, but he was also a big reason why we had a chance at glory. No different from Favre or Harvin.

I still think Peterson is a huge part of our offense, without him we are not as good. Peterson had the 2nd most runs of 20+ yards last year behind only Chris Johnson(tied for 5th in 40+ yard runs), so it's not like he's not making plays.

I don't think good running backs are as easy to come by as people think. The biggest problem with building around a back is they don't last very long. Average backs maybe have 1-3 good years, great backs 5-7 good years.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    People talk about Petersons fumbles the way we used to talk about Favre's interceptions.
    Yes it's a problem, but it's still Adrian Peterson. I'll take Peterson and his 9 fumbles every time(atleast every time it comes with 2000yds and 21tds).
    As long as it doesn't come with fumbling away the Championship game or Super Bowl I'm happy with him. If he fumbles away our chance at glory than what good is he?

RBs are a dime a dozen, granted not at Peterson's level, but much easier to come by than say a QB. As evidenced last year I think a RBs production, especially in our system starts with line blocking. Peterson showed the ability to punch it into the end zone but his huge gains and monster yardage seemed to take a big dip.

I can finally see the "haters" point (and I use the term "haters" very loosely).
    He may have fumbled away our chance at glory, but he was also a big reason why we had a chance at glory. No different from Favre or Harvin.

I still think Peterson is a huge part of our offense, without him we are not as good. Peterson had the 2nd most runs of 20+ yards last year behind only Chris Johnson(tied for 5th in 40+ yard runs), so it's not like he's not making plays.

I don't think good running backs are as easy to come by as people think. The biggest problem with building around a back is they don't last very long. Average backs maybe have 1-3 good years, great backs 5-7 good years.
    The point of my post was more just to toss a bit of validity to the argument that the man has some liability. He's not perfect and he certainly isn't nor should be free of scrutiny as previously (going into last season) felt by myself and probably the majority of fans. Before it was well he can't pass block worth a darn but he is a beast at running. Now, coupling a lack of pass blocking ability with fumbalitis and there is some very valid reason for concern.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

The point of my post was more just to toss a bit of validity to the argument that the man has some liability. He's not perfect and he certainly isn't nor should be free of scrutiny as previously (going into last season) felt by myself and probably the majority of fans. Before it was well he can't pass block worth a darn but he is a beast at running. Now, coupling a lack of pass blocking ability with fumbalitis and there is some very valid reason for concern.
    Nobodies perfect. The fumbling thing has just been over blown, IMHO. Yes he fumbled in the biggest game, but it's not like he's fumbling every other ball.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

Nobodies perfect. The fumbling thing has just been over blown, IMHO. Yes he fumbled in the biggest game, but it's not like he's fumbling every other ball.
    It seems pretty close. And he's led all rbs in fumbles in the past 3 years if i'm not mistaken
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

It seems pretty close. And he's led all rbs in fumbles in the past 3 years if i'm not mistaken
    He may have had the most fumbles over the last 3 years, but he's also probably had the most carries, TD's and yards.

For the regular season peterson has fumbled 20times on 995carries/receptions. Or 1 in 49.9 for his career. Losing the ball 13 of those 20. So he loses the ball 1 76.53 times he touches it.

In the playoffs he has fumbled twice on 74 touches. Neither fumble was lost.

I'm sure there were a couple QB exchange blunders that were his fault. Unfortunetly I don't have a stat for him or any other back so I leave that to someone else to figure out.

During the 2009 regular season Matt Forte, Tim Hightower, darren mcfadden, michael turner, marshawn lynch and others all fumbled more per carry than Peterson.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I never used the word hate. Sorry if I conveyed that message. I'm simply getting tired of his dumb comments like that, and I'm still annoyed with his performance in the fumble department.
    You're right, you never did say hate...my apologies.

I do agree with you, however, that he should stop making promises about personal records and focus instead on ball control.

Caine

jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:
    BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    jmcdon00 wrote:

There were games last year where he fumbled multiple times...that's the crap that loses your team the game. It may be overblown some, but no matter which way a person slices or skews the stats, he's one of the worst in the league when it comes to fumbling the football. I don't care how many carries he had, the fact that he (our star, franchise player) fumbled more than any other player last year is embarrassing. A player who your build your franchise around should not be turning the ball over at the rate he is. I don't think even Peterson himself would argue that.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator

BloodyHorns82 wrote:

There were games last year where he fumbled multiple times...that's the crap that loses your team the game. It may be overblown some, but no matter which way a person slices or skews the stats, he's one of the worst in the league when it comes to fumbling the football. I don't care how many carries he had, the fact that he (our star, franchise player) fumbled more than any other player last year is embarrassing. A player who your build your franchise around should not be turning the ball over at the rate he is. I don't think even Peterson himself would argue that.
    I could be wrong, but I remember clearly only one other game where AP dropped multiple balls. And yes, it is embarrassing and should not be brushed aside. But it remains to be seen whether the problem will be corrected, and become simply a statistical anomaly over the course of his career. Guys have bad games, bad stretches, even bad years. It happens all the time.

Also, you have to admit that more carries means more chances for something to go wrong. The more you handle the ball, the more fumbles will happen. Probability math is weird, but this is a pretty straightforward correlation.

In general, I prefer not to evaluate players' stats in general until a year or two after they have retired. For example, I had a discussion last night with a guy as to whether Peytom Manning deserves to be considered the best QB ever. As great as he may be, my contention is, you can't say that, or even really debate it, until after he's done and gone.

It's been a log off-season, and I'm sure AP has had plenty of time to think about it. He's shown he's making an effort to correct things (though with an odd method IMO). I won't ride him on it now. Let's wait and see how he does in 2010.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

I'm glad we have Peterson and I don't think his fumbling is going to be the end all for our team. I just think it is now fair for some criticism. That all being said, I have faith that he can correct the problem.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast