Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: The Peterson-Taylor combination

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I am not sold on how it will work. Peterson seems like a more effective runner when he lines up deep and has a full head of steam when he hits the hole behind a fullback. Taylor, on the other hand is shifty enough where I could see it benefiting him. It will be interesting to see.
    Ever hear of The wishbone formation?
    Yes I have. Have you watched AD play in one?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I am not sold on how it will work. Peterson seems like a more effective runner when he lines up deep and has a full head of steam when he hits the hole behind a fullback. Taylor, on the other hand is shifty enough where I could see it benefiting him. It will be interesting to see.
    I don't watch college ball so I can honestly say no. But that doesn't mean he can't play in one with a two back set.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is online now Team Alumni

i think Bchill has it right.

if you have both in there. i'd bet 90% is to get some1 open, or on a quick route for large YAC.
    fake it as CT goes up the middle, and fake the pitch to AD goin left. you'll pull everyone both directions and hit either BB, or CT up over the middle, or AD behiend Rice

now if they don't bite on it. use that 10%, make that pitch.. or run a few times CT up the middle before hand and you will get teams to be dedicated to assigning a specific D to it.
    if they get something they can attack. i'm sure we'll see this come to play a few more times this year.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

[size=13pt]NFC rankings: running backs [/size]

1. VIKINGS: They have the best 1-2 punch in the league with Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor. Peterson has a rare blend of speed and power and freezes defenders with his moves. Taylor is less explosive but runs just as hard.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I don't watch college ball so I can honestly say no. But that doesn't mean he can't play in one with a two back set.
    The Wishbone offense utilizes 3 running backs in the lineup.
    1 fullback, two halfbacks.
    It was common back in earlier college days (Oklahoma probably gave it the most fame back in the 70's, at least my lifespan).
    It is not being used much today outside of small high school's as it basically says we are lining up to run the ball down your throat, try to stop us.
    Good defenses can stop it or minimize it.

the problem I see with lining both Chester and Adrian up in the backfield is that it will require them to be able to lead block to have any effectiveness.
    Do you really want to see Adrian used as a battering ram to free up lanes for Chester?
    That's the fullback's job.
    Just having two great running backs to keep the defense guessing would probably be outweighed by the probability that one of those guys will be getting the ball.

We need to develop a respectable passing game if we want to have a consistent offense.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

CT and AD are coming downhill everytime they touch the ball. Whether they stay in for protection in a pass play or one is a decoy, both will have to be accounted for, and that will always create a mismatch in our favor.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    It was common back in earlier college days (Oklahoma probably gave it the most fame back in the 70's, at least my lifespan).
    It is not being used much today outside of small high school's as it basically says we are lining up to run the ball down your throat, try to stop us.

the problem I see with lining both Chester and Adrian up in the backfield is that it will require them to be able to lead block to have any effectiveness.
    Do you really want to see Adrian used as a battering ram to free up lanes for Chester?
    Just having two great running backs to keep the defense guessing would probably be outweighed by the probability that one of those guys will be getting the ball.

We need to develop a respectable passing game if we want to have a consistent offense.
    Use it a few series a game.
    I want to see AD throw a pass to CT for a TD or the other way around.
    Get the D concentrating on stopping them and then run that play. If that set is able to get us some yards, I think the trick would work.

You are right about the lead blocking, I don't want to see AD doing much of that.
    If the other back in the set wasn't blocking, then I would think it would make for some different blocking schemes which might screw up the scheme set in place last year.

If it is used, it won't be the majority of the game. I think that in the NFL, you have to switch things up and give teams different looks.
    The more things you are good at, the better.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I don't know why this formation wasn't use dlate in games last year.
    Running a swing past to Ad ( with CT blocking) would be more likely to take it all the way than
    Wade, Rice, Shank or Williamson. Instead we sat the best home run threat on the sideline....
    At the very least him being on the field would have made it easiser for the other playmakers to get open. These were some of the mind numbing non-adjustments that the Offensive staff made last year.
    Having AD on the field may have made it easier for the other playmakers to get open, but it didn't give TJack time to find those playmakers.

I love AD, and I think he is one of the best things to happen to football in a long, long time.
    But in college he was never asked to pass block, and therefore his blocking skills were very poor.
    That is the big reason that AD was never in unless he was getting the ball - which defenses eventually figured out too.

I remember one particular play, during the Denver game, when AD keyed in on the guy that Cook was supposed to block, and a defender came in untouched and leveled TJ ( I will have to do some digging to be sure, the memory is a little shaky this morning).

Now that AD has had an entire season and another offseason under his belt, we will see improvement in areas like pass blocking.
    When defenses key in on him and put 8 or 9 men in the box, we can beat them deep with Berrian and Rice on opposite sidelines.
    We will be able to effectively use draws and play action passes.
    And yes, screens will become relevant again.

But none of this could have been done last year given AD's skill set.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=45653.msg792273#msg792273 date=1213469843]

Use it a few series a game.
    I want to see AD throw a pass to CT for a TD or the other way around.
    Get the D concentrating on stopping them and then run that play. If that set is able to get us some yards, I think the trick would work.

You are right about the lead blocking, I don't want to see AD doing much of that.
    If the other back in the set wasn't blocking, then I would think it would make for some different blocking schemes which might screw up the scheme set in place last year.

If it is used, it won't be the majority of the game. I think that in the NFL, you have to switch things up and give teams different looks.
    The more things you are good at, the better.
    [/quote]

I can see it being effective on a few plays now and then just to throw the defense off guard, just don't think it would be effective on a more regular basis with the athletic-ness of today's linebackers.
    You need a body blocking them.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tastywaves" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Agreed.

There is no way I want our 2 best backs being a lead blocker and not only that, but the wishbone also has the QB keeping the ball and running with it or waiting until a defender closes on him and then tossing it to one of the backs behind him,requiring the QB to take too many hits. An with TJ's health history I want him to be untouched as many times as possible. There is a reason why it is not used in the NFL and why even teams like Nebraska and Oklahoma have switched to the spread or pro offense due to the talent and speed they face at LB these days.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast