Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Peterson should be used more?

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "VikingsMB" wrote:
    Although he ran back the kickoff for 53 yards, is it not a little insane to be using him for kick off returns?
    No. Childress used him at the perfect times on kick returns and he did his job. He would then go to the sideline and Chester would come in for a few carries. When we KNEW we needed Adrian on first down, we had troy back there returning kicks. As far as i'm concerned, if he can make plays on Kick returns, keep him there.
    Exactly right, the only thing I am worried about is him getting hurt on kick returns. You can take some serious hits returning kicks.

As far as just getting the ball to him in general? Well I think they are doing a good job of it already. The question you have to ask would be:

Would AP be able to rip off all thos big runs if it weren't for CT help getting the defense wore down and giving him a breather?

Chester Taylor is still a good back, he isn't as good as AP, but he is solid and can do that dirty work (22 carries for 83 yards). I would much rather have him do it then risk getting our best offensive player hurt or wore down early by using him to much. I think AP had 4 carries over 20 yards? INSANE! But could he do that without having Taylors help? I am pretty sure that almost each of those runs came after CT did some running of his own while AP was getting a breather.

The anouncer said we should think about letting him carry the load like LT does for SD, what the problem with that by
    LTs 5th NFL season he was already starting to show some wear. I would like to have a fresh AP for a good many years.
    I don't want him to get hurt but to say something like that would mean you would have to be a proponent of playing him as little as possible which is definitely not the case. You can't just keep a playmaker off the field because you're afraid of injury.

Chester did exactly what we needed him to do today. Expect a bunch of games like that from him this year and beyond. Grind it out between the tackles running for a 4 yard average and close to 100 yards while AD gets 100+ on 10-15 carries. Obviously Adrian won't be duplicating this performance week in and week out but I definitely believe we can expect close to 100 per game from here on out.

Letting AD carry the load now would be a mistake. The gameplan as far as running the ball goes was picture perfect. The blockers blocked well (yes, all of them), Taylor did his job wearing out the defense, and Peterson came in and delivered the knock out punches. If we could get the play action going we would be a force to be reckoned with in the NFC.
    Some very good stuff in here guys.
    Good job.
    Nice posts.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"V" wrote:
    Thank you Childress for finally listening to me.
    He sure did.
    They tried to run the ball early, when that didn't work, because they were stacking the box with the whole damn roster, they open it up with a few nice passes.
    Then when the Defense didn't have a clue what was going on they mixed in runs and passes the rest of the game.

Good thing you convinced him to do that.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I thought it was perfect!!
    I am far from convinced that AP is built to take the full load of hits...his college record suggests otherwise.
    Taylor and Moore are both good backs who have performed above expectations for us.
    Pounding the Rock is often more than yards and TDs...it is key to eating the clock when you're ahead (thus, running into the waiting jaws of their defense), and resting your defense in general!!

I am still afraid of AP returning, but dag!
    Does he look good doing it!!

Counting the returns and his reception, AP had more touches than CT.

Hmmm, 43 carries, 23 pass attempts...isn't that just about what I asked for last week?
    ;D
    A do run, run, AP do run, run
    ;D

MOST IMPORTANTLY, I don't want AP to wear out if five years!!!!
    I WANT ADRIAN ALL DAY PETERSON PLAYING FOR THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS ALL SEASON, EVERY SEASON FOR TEN OR FIFTEEN YEARS!!!
    SKOL!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.
    They tried to run the ball early, when that didn't work, because they were stacking the box with the whole damn roster, they open it up with a few nice passes.
    Then when the Defense didn't have a clue what was going on they mixed in runs and passes the rest of the game.

;D
    The point is Marr that they stuck to the run even though it wasn't neccesarily successful early on. It's obvious that we had a completely different offensive strategy heading into this game.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.
    They tried to run the ball early, when that didn't work, because they were stacking the box with the whole gol 'darnit roster, they open it up with a few nice passes.

;D
    The point is Marr that they stuck to the run even though it wasn't neccesarily successful early on. It's obvious that we had a completely different offensive strategy heading into this game.
    I agree.
    I couldn't resist the chance to ping on ya a bit.
    ;D

I think the strategy was to kick some OL ass and make them play the way they were supposed to.
    Everything will click if they do.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.

;D
    How did running the ball early not work?
    We did have one bad set of plays on our second series where we got nothing on a first down and lost yards on second down, but before that we had 52 yards on 8 carries.
    I thought the mix of run/pass was good throughout the game, but I think we were running well from the beginning.

I think there are a lot of people like V that have been saying that AD should get the ball more, and feel pretty smart right about now.
    He sure made Childress look kind of dumb for his previous excuses for not having him in, and just made it look like it wouldn't be that hard to coach the Vikings (or at least to do the things people see the coaches doing on Sunday).

AD was used very well on Sunday (still don't like seeing him on kickoff returns), and Chester was too.
    Great game by the offensive coaching staff.
    Amazing game by AD.
    Less than stellar performance by the WRs.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.
    They tried to run the ball early, when that didn't work, because they were stacking the box with the whole gol 'darnit roster, they open it up with a few nice passes.

;D
    We did have one bad set of plays on our second series where we got nothing on a first down and lost yards on second down, but before that we had 52 yards on 8 carries.
    I thought the mix of run/pass was good throughout the game, but I think we were running well from the beginning.

I think there are a lot of people like V that have been saying that AD should get the ball more, and feel pretty smart right about now.
    He sure made Childress look kind of dumb for his previous excuses for not having him in, and just made it look like it wouldn't be that hard to coach the Vikings (or at least to do the things people see the coaches doing on Sunday).

AD was used very well on Sunday (still don't like seeing him on kickoff returns), and Chester was too.
    Amazing game by AD.
    First.
    You must have a knowledge of the brief history between V and I.
    My post you quoted was a jest/barb directed at him to poke some fun with someone I consider to be a very good poster.
    In no way was it designed to make any kindof point.
    Sorry to confuse you.

Second...... And to make my point I made in several other threads.......

Other than the 27 yarder by AD the running attack wasn't scaring the life out of the Boars was it.
    In fact if you watched the game you probably saw alot of boxes being stacked ( ;D) before the T-will pass.

1-10-MIN 14
    (12:10) 29-C.Taylor right guard to MIN 20 for 6 yards (97-M.Anderson).

2-4-MIN 20
    (11:34) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 23 for 3 yards (20-A.Archuleta).

3-1-MIN 23
    (10:56) 29-C.Taylor left tackle to MIN 27 for 4 yards (93-A.Ogunleye).

1-10-MIN 27
    (10:19) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 82-T.Williamson.

2-10-MIN 27
    (10:17) 7-T.Jackson pass short left to 82-T.Williamson to MIN 36 for 9 yards (38-D.Manning). Measurement

3-1-MIN 36
    (9:46) 49-T.Richardson right guard to MIN 40 for 4 yards (97-M.Anderson).

1-10-MIN 40
    (9:14) 28-A.Peterson left end to MIN 40 for no gain (55-L.Briggs).

2-10-MIN 40
    (8:40) 28-A.Peterson right end pushed ob at CHI 33 for 27 yards (20-A.Archuleta).

1-10-CHI 33
    (8:11) 28-A.Peterson right end to CHI 33 for no gain (33-C.Tillman).

2-10-CHI 33
    (7:34) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete deep middle to 81-V.Shiancoe.

3-10-CHI 33
    (7:30) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass incomplete short left to 19-B.Wade.

4-10-CHI 33
    (7:30) 5-C.Kluwe punts 33 yards to end zone, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Touc

2-1-MIN 28
    (4:49) 28-A.Peterson left tackle to MIN 36 for 8 yards (20-A.Archuleta).

1-10-MIN 36
    (4:14) (Shotgun) 28-A.Peterson left guard to MIN 36 for no gain (38-D.Manning).

2-10-MIN 36
    (3:34) 28-A.Peterson right end to MIN 33 for -3 yards (55-L.Briggs).

9-R.Gould kicks 66 yards from CHI 30 to MIN 4. 28-A.Peterson to MIN 26 for 22 yards (26-T.McBride).

Timeout at 01:56.

1-10-MIN 26
    (1:49) 29-C.Taylor right end to MIN 27 for 1 yard (95-A.Adams).

2-9-MIN 27
    (1:11) 28-A.Peterson left end to MIN 33 for 6 yards (92-H.Hillenmeyer).

3-3-MIN 33
    (:27) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short middle to 19-B.Wade to MIN 40 for 7 yards (20-A.Archuleta). Penalty on CHI-91-T.Harris, Defensive Offside, declined.

1-10-MIN 40
    (:06) 7-T.Jackson pass deep left to 82-T.Williamson for 60 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

8-R.Longwell extra point is GOOD, Center-46-C.Loeffler, Holder-5-C.Kluwe.

Long story short, you really didn't see the running game start chewing up big chunks until after the T-will TD.
    ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.

;D

Amazing game by AD.
    First.
    My post you quoted was a jest/barb directed at him to poke some fun with someone I consider to be a very good poster.
    Sorry to confuse you.

Other than the 27 yarder by AD the running attack wasn't scaring the life out of the Boars was it.
    In fact if you watched the game you probably saw alot of boxes being stacked ( ;D) before the T-will pass.

1-10-MIN 14

2-4-MIN 20

3-1-MIN 23

1-10-MIN 27

2-10-MIN 27
    (10:17) 7-T.Jackson pass short left to 82-T.Williamson to MIN 36 for 9 yards (38-D.Manning). Measurement

3-1-MIN 36

1-10-MIN 40

2-10-MIN 40
    (8:40) 28-A.Peterson right end pushed ob at CHI 33 for 27 yards (20-A.Archuleta).

1-10-CHI 33

2-10-CHI 33

3-10-CHI 33

4-10-CHI 33

2-1-MIN 28

1-10-MIN 36

2-10-MIN 36

9-R.Gould kicks 66 yards from CHI 30 to MIN 4. 28-A.Peterson to MIN 26 for 22 yards (26-T.McBride).

1-10-MIN 26

2-9-MIN 27

3-3-MIN 33
    (:27) (Shotgun) 7-T.Jackson pass short middle to 19-B.Wade to MIN 40 for 7 yards (20-A.Archuleta). Penalty on CHI-91-T.Harris, Defensive Offside, declined.

1-10-MIN 40

Long story short, you really didn't see the running game start chewing up big chunks until after the T-will TD.

;D
    You give the Twill TD credit for setting up the big runs later in the game, but you don't give the philosophy of running the ball early credit for setting up the Twill TD. I'm not going to let you get away with that.

We changed our offense for that game. It was a change for the better.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Freya is offline Team Alumni

In answer to the original question;

NO. Keep the boy hungry.

Personally, I don't think there is intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be any different from this one?

davike is offline Team Alumni

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    He sure did.

;D

Amazing game by AD.
    First.
    Sorry to confuse you.

1-10-MIN 14

2-4-MIN 20

3-1-MIN 23

1-10-MIN 27

2-10-MIN 27

3-1-MIN 36

1-10-MIN 40

2-10-MIN 40

1-10-CHI 33

2-10-CHI 33

3-10-CHI 33

4-10-CHI 33

2-1-MIN 28

1-10-MIN 36

2-10-MIN 36

1-10-MIN 26

2-9-MIN 27

3-3-MIN 33

1-10-MIN 40

;D
    You give the Twill TD credit for setting up the big runs later in the game, but you don't give the philosophy of running the ball early credit for setting up the Twill TD. I'm not going to let you get away with that.

We changed our offense for that game. It was a change for the better.
    I guess they both helped out each other? Team work?

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast