Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Peterson prefers to run alone

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Vikings coach Brad Childress said he's not surprised by Peterson's harsh self-critique. He noted that Peterson sets the bar high for himself, pointing to Peterson's goal of 2,000 yards rushing this season as an example.

"I think that's Adrian being Adrian," he said. "But that's what you like about him. He's not satisfied in whatever area it is."
    Kindof funny that Rays goal of alot of sacks this year is viewed as a dumb goal, but AD's goal of getting 2,000 yards isn't viewed the same way by fans.

Causes me to scratch my slightly balding head and wonder about that one a bit.
    Possibly another double standard here?

:
    To be fair, Peterson demonstrated rarely seen ability in his rookie season, a season which included a game where he broke the NFL record for yards in a single game.

If Ray had broken the single game sack record last year, and racked up several sacks in other games, and THEN predicted breaking Strahan's record, it would be viewed with the same credibility received by Peterson's claim.
    However, he didn't, and it wasn't.
    I hear ya with respect to AD, but seriously, 2,000 yards and no one thinks that is as lofty of a goal as young Ray predicting his sack goal?
    Absolutely not.

Last year, AD ran for 1341 yards in 14 games.
    That's an average of 95.79 YPG.
    To get 2000 yards in a 16-game season, he would need to run for 125 YPG.
    The increase from 95.79 to 125 is 29.21 YPG, a 30.4% increase in production (in per-game average).
    Lofty, yes, but not unreasonable given his talent and proven success (296 yards anyone?)

Now, for Ray Edwards.
    Last year, he had 5 sacks in 12 games, an average of .417 SPG.
    To get to 23 sacks for the season, he would need to average 1.4375 SPG.
    That's an increase of 1.0205 SPG or 244.7% over his previous season's rate!!!
    That's about 200% above lofty and right into lala land.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Vikeman is offline Asst. Coach

"V4L" wrote:
    Crazy how Peterson has much room to grow and he is still putting up great numbers

Imagine in a few years if he can stay healthy

The kid is a freak.. Just a freakkk
    I'm just afraid when that happens he may be in a different uni.
    The Vikes had better get a better coach or his career will be wasted in Minny.
    A good friend will help you move...a best friend will help you move a body.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Vikings coach Brad Childress said he's not surprised by Peterson's harsh self-critique. He noted that Peterson sets the bar high for himself, pointing to Peterson's goal of 2,000 yards rushing this season as an example.

"I think that's Adrian being Adrian," he said. "But that's what you like about him. He's not satisfied in whatever area it is."
    Kindof funny that Rays goal of alot of sacks this year is viewed as a dumb goal, but AD's goal of getting 2,000 yards isn't viewed the same way by fans.

:
    To be fair, Peterson demonstrated rarely seen ability in his rookie season, a season which included a game where he broke the NFL record for yards in a single game.

If Ray had broken the single game sack record last year, and racked up several sacks in other games, and THEN predicted breaking Strahan's record, it would be viewed with the same credibility received by Peterson's claim.
    I hear ya with respect to AD, but seriously, 2,000 yards and no one thinks that is as lofty of a goal as young Ray predicting his sack goal?
    Absolutely not.

The increase from 95.79 to 125 is 29.21 YPG, a 30.4% increase in production (in per-game average).
    Lofty, yes, but not unreasonable given his talent and proven success (296 yards anyone?)

Now, for Ray Edwards.

=Z=
    +1

Ranger is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:

The difference between the ability to achieve the goals is the difference.
    AD didn't say he'd rush for more yards than any player ever had, he said that he'd break a difficult barrier and pick up 2k.
    Jamal Lewis accomplished that goal, and I feel good about AD being at least as good as Lewis has been.

Edwards had nothing to show in the past to hint at his ability to beat a record held by a hall of fame defensive end.
    He'd shown nothing to lead me to believe he could have a better season than Reggie White or Bruce Smith had ever had.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I say if he's used to being alone in the backfield, he prefers it, and is more comfortable with it, then LET HIM DO IT!!!!
    The majority of his long runs last season was without a fullback in front of him I think, but I'm not shure. Someone should check that out! It would be interesting to know.
    Another reason to place him in the backfield alone is, as mentioned in the article, that T. Richardson is no longer here.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Peterson is lined up in the backfield alone quite a bit

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"HEY" wrote:
    I say if he's used to being alone in the backfield, he prefers it, and is more comfortable with it, then LET HIM DO IT!!!!
    The majority of his long runs last season was without a fullback in front of him I think, but I'm not shure. Someone should check that out! It would be interesting to know.
    Another reason to place him in the backfield alone is, as mentioned in the article, that T. Richardson is no longer here.
    Not needed, I did a little research myself. I looked at the highlight tapes from his two 200+ yards games last year (Bears and Chargers) and found out that the 4 longest runs against the Bears and the 5 longest runs against the Chargers was when he was alone in the backfield. Also, alot of his longest runs against other teams in 2007 was when he was alone in the backfield.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

:
    I thought they both were dumb and I doubt any will be accurate. Keep your goals to yourself. Play football.

"Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:

Good point. I said this in the thread made a while back. Maybe he should think about a 10 sack season before any records. 5 sacks is your season high Ray Ray. Think about it. Peterson rushed for 1341 yards. One seems reasonable while the other is borderline insane.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Ranger" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

:

Absolutely not.

Now, for Ray Edwards.

=Z=
    Your calculations assume that they play every game. Wouldn't it be easier to just do a percent increase from last year and this year as a whole.

Ray: 360%
    Adrian: 49%

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast