Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Peterson preaches patience - Trying times for Peterson

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I'll throw this out anyway for discussion...
    We keep reading about how Childress tells Peterson how he needs more patience when running. Wait for his holes to open, and I totally understand this concept. But it looked to me like yesterday when Peterson got all his big runs, he just totally ran over and around people, not exhibiting much patience at all.
    Which begs the question, is Childress' coaching about patience hurting Peterson's running ability? Does the "patience" allow more tacklers to swarm to the hole? Or if Peterson hits the hole immediately does it give him a better chance to run over the one tackler trying to be blocked and his shiftiness then allows him to avoid many other would-be tacklers.
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    Hmmmm, I saw him waiting on the holes alot yesterday.
    In fact I thought he waited to long on at least 5 (Game notes are at home) which resulted in negative yards.

Truth be told, he needs to know the difference between when he needs to be patient and when to hit it hard based on what is going on pre-snap as well as trends in the game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I'll throw this out anyway for discussion...
    We keep reading about how Childress tells Peterson how he needs more patience when running. Wait for his holes to open, and I totally understand this concept. But it looked to me like yesterday when Peterson got all his big runs, he just totally ran over and around people, not exhibiting much patience at all.
    Which begs the question, is Childress' coaching about patience hurting Peterson's running ability? Does the "patience" allow more tacklers to swarm to the hole? Or if Peterson hits the hole immediately does it give him a better chance to run over the one tackler trying to be blocked and his shiftiness then allows him to avoid many other would-be tacklers.
    I often wondered that myself. He had some huge games & big runs last year against stacked boxes before the whole "be patient" thing came to being.

When you have 8-9 people gunning for you, doesn't waiting just allow more time for the defenders to swarm around him?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    In fact I thought he waited to long on at least 5 (Game notes are at home) which resulted in negative yards.

Truth be told, he needs to know the difference between when he needs to be patient and when to hit it hard based on what is going on pre-snap as well as trends in the game.
    I saw that too, Marr and that's what led me to begin thinking more about this whole "patience" thing.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

You're mistaking patience with not following his blocks, the other thing the coaches are preaching to him.
    On those plays where he lost
    yards he kept trying to go outside the tackle or end instead of inside thinking "if I could just get around the corner, I could...."
    Instead of just taking the 3 - 4 yards and a cloud of dust, he ended up losing 2 yards.
    He has got to learn to take what the defense is giving him, especially on 1st down.
    Second and 6 looks a lot better than 2nd and 12.

I think the patience is more on the pulling guards and things of that nature.
    Deeper hand-offs where the linemen need a bit of time to open a crease.
    Not running outside waiting for a defender to make a mistake.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

You're mistaking patience with not following his blocks, the other thing the coaches are preaching to him.
    On those plays where he lost
    yards he kept trying to go outside the tackle or end instead of inside thinking "if I could just get around the corner, I could...."
    Instead of just taking the 3 - 4 yards and a cloud of dust, he ended up losing 2 yards.
    He has got to learn to take what the defense is giving him, especially on 1st down.
    Second and 6 looks a lot better than 2nd and 12.

I think the patience is more on the pulling guards and things of that nature.
    Deeper hand-offs where the linemen need a bit of time to open a crease.
    Not running outside waiting for a defender to make a mistake.
    Comeon my friend, you know I understand enough about the game to tell the difference between the two.
    Suffice to say, I am not talking about the runs were he lost yards trying to get to the corner.
    Those things fall into a whole other catagory of bad stuff but I didn't want Soonerbred accusing me of being mean to AD today so I didn't bring them up.......;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

I still think he cuts back into the teeth of the defense too much trying to break it for 50. Yes,
    I am being picky.

On another note...............

If we could develope a screen pass play (or HB in the flat)
    with AD ,it would be nearly unstoppable. The times I've seen it, the touch on the throw wasn't there or some other snafu.

Give him a couple of yards to get to second gear and its lights out. (ala Brian Westbrook)
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Formo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    It is obvious to me that Peterson has not been quite as successful and devastating as people thought he would be. This began last year in the 49ers game, when the Niners defense stacked the box and Tarvaris could not throw us out of it. Every team after that has stacked the box against us. And it mostly has worked to keep AD from going nuts on them. The Vikings also have been very, very predictable in their playcalling, and have not gotten AD in space, for instance, by throwing the screen. This results in no lanes to run in. Unless the passing game can get us out of the stacked box, this will continue.
    Not often I agree with you StillPurple, but in this case, I very much do.

AP's production is down from last year..
    but he's still AP.
    Just opposing defenses key on him.
    Their playcalling isn't necessarily taking advantage of this fact, either.
    Look what Ronnie Brown has done for the 'Fins.
    I'm not sure how you can say his production is down.
    He may not have 5.6 YPC but he has 102.9 YPG vs. 95.8 last year.
    I would say that's an increase in production.
    What's nice about now is they don't have to rely on him breaking the big one becasue their passing has been more efficient.
    Therefore the 2 or 3, 20+ yard gains per game are what is needed.
    I believe he is learning and doing much better against stacked boxes than he did last year or even earlier in the season.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Peterson is doing just fine and will only get better.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    It is obvious to me that Peterson has not been quite as successful and devastating as people thought he would be. This began last year in the 49ers game, when the Niners defense stacked the box and Tarvaris could not throw us out of it. Every team after that has stacked the box against us. And it mostly has worked to keep AD from going nuts on them. The Vikings also have been very, very predictable in their playcalling, and have not gotten AD in space, for instance, by throwing the screen. This results in no lanes to run in. Unless the passing game can get us out of the stacked box, this will continue.

but he's still AP.
    What's nice about now is they don't have to rely on him breaking the big one becasue their passing has been more efficient.
    I believe he is learning and doing much better against stacked boxes than he did last year or even earlier in the season.
    I have a feeling he will crack off a few long ones against the packers. Now that we have the passing game working they won't be able to crowd the LOS or we will kill them with Berrian and Rice. That will create more free space for Peterson to exploit. At least that is what I am praying for.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "Formo" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:

but he's still AP.
    I have a feeling he will crack off a few long ones against the packers. Now that we have the passing game working they won't be able to crowd the LOS or we will kill them with Berrian and Rice. That will create more free space for Peterson to exploit. At least that is what I am praying for.
    you mean that same rice that has less than 100 yards on the season?

just kidding, i just like to stir the pot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast