Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Peterson preaches patience - Trying times for Peterson

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    Our HC and OC are absolutely clueless at times, and underutilizing one of the best backs in the league!
    Under-utilizing or mis-utilizing?

He's getting an average of 25 carries every game. What more do you want? Him to run the ball on everydown?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:

He's getting an average of 25 carries every game. What more do you want? Him to run the ball on everydown?
    Truth be told he is having a damn good year even though we haven't seen alot of the "Big" "Exciting" runs.

He continues to pound it away inside with a pretty decent average, has 5 games of 100 yards or more which has kept him solidly in second place in the rushing race and his 6 TD's has him tied for 6th in that column.

Unless he breaks it on every run and has his face plastered all over the highlight films on ESPN, the mindless masses will continue to think he is being used wrong or to some, even over rated.

That my friend is a very sad state of affairs my friend.
    Very sad indeed.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Truth be told he is having a gol 'darnit good year even though we haven't seen alot of the "Big" "Exciting" runs.

He continues to pound it away inside with a pretty decent average, has 5 games of 100 yards or more which has kept him solidly in second place in the rushing race and his 6 TD's has him tied for 6th in that column.

Unless he breaks it on every run and has his face plastered all over the highlight films on ESPN, the mindless masses will continue to think he is being used wrong or to some, even over rated.

Very sad indeed.
    I just want to see him play on third downs and have Taylor spell him every now and then kind of like how New York uses Jacobs, ward and bradshaw...

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"UTVikfan" wrote:
    LOL, the 49'ers didn't JUST stack the box, they crashed the corners. Brilliant, brilliant scheme by Nolan. Never seen that before. AND because we have Childress/Bevel there is no play action to counter that. LOL, crash the corners all you want, our HC/OC are gonna run the same plays. You can play 10 in the box, nbd. The upside is Peterson is simply a time bomb, ticking away......he will break his 296 record this year, IMO.
    Exactly right.
    Nolan crashed the corners and took away AD's signature run...to the tackle, then cut back.
    It seemed like there was more play action yesterday.
    I thought the coaches did a good job of deploying AD vs the Texans.
    I too, would like to see him catch a few more passes, but he is simply dreadful at blocking.
    He is having a good year, averaging over 100 yards a game...he wants more, he should want more.

Credit the Texans early, however, Gus made 'em pay with some deep and middle range passes.
    There is nothing wrong with AD, he holds himself to the highest of standards and we have come to expect him to break long TD runs.
    He will.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Truth be told he is having a gol 'darnit good year even though we haven't seen alot of the "Big" "Exciting" runs.

Very sad indeed.
    I just want to see him play on third downs and have Taylor spell him every now and then kind of like how New York uses Jacobs, ward and bradshaw...
    I don't know.

Seems to me the staff (can't believe I am sticking up for them) seem to have a pretty good mix right now in thier efforts to get the most out of him during the game but also to keep him fresh late.

His legs were definately there in the 4th and the Defenses wasn't.

Again, I like the mix.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

Very sad indeed.
    I don't know.

Seems to me the staff (can't believe I am sticking up for them) seem to have a pretty good mix right now in thier efforts to get the most out of him during the game but also to keep him fresh late.

His legs were definately there in the 4th and the Defenses wasn't.

Again, I like the mix.
    No i agree with the mix, but i am saying i want to see more of one.. i don't think Chester is really a third down back so i don't like him in that role, i'd like to see him get about 8-12 carries a game... a la Derrick Ward, and peterson get approx. 20 but i just don't like him in the 3rd down role, nor do i like peterson coming out on third downs...

that's all i'm saying..
    the mix is fine, but keep AP in on 3rd downs and spell him every few series... that allows AP to get a better rhythm and also provides a better mix for Chester... i personally he's not a big play type of back that you necessarily want to see in the third down role... personally, i just think they do that to keep him happy....

Remember how they used the both of them last year?.. each getting around similar amount of carries?.. that gave us a better change of pace and kept AP fresh for the 4th quarter kind of like you saw in the 4th quarter this past weekend...

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    No i agree with the mix, but i am saying i want to see more of one.. i don't think Chester is really a third down back so i don't like him in that role, i'd like to see him get about 8-12 carries a game... a la Derrick Ward, and peterson get approx. 20 but i just don't like him in the 3rd down role, nor do i like peterson coming out on third downs...

that's all i'm saying..
    the mix is fine, but keep AP in on 3rd downs and spell him every few series... that allows AP to get a better rhythm and also provides a better mix for Chester... i personally he's not a big play type of back that you necessarily want to see in the third down role... personally, i just think they do that to keep him happy....

Remember how they used the both of them last year?.. each getting around similar amount of carries?.. that gave us a better change of pace and kept AP fresh for the 4th quarter kind of like you saw in the 4th quarter this past weekend...
    CT isn't a 3rd down back?
    Are you even a football fan?
    CT is a great blocker and a great receiver, both qualities which are critical for a 3rd down back.
    Did you not see CT make not 1, but 2 HUGE plays on 3rd and long?
    On one he took a dump off pass, made 2 or 3 people miss and turned it into a 15 yard gain.
    On a 2nd, he took a draw and ran it outside again sidestepping 2 or 3 defenders for a 2nd 15 yard gain.
    CT was HUGE and has been the past 2 seasons in that role.

Honestly, I read all this hype about AD in "space".
    Honestly, I love AD, but he's done crap for screen plays.
    When he catches the ball and is stationary, he's dead meat.
    He has not, to my recollection, made that first guy miss him a single time.
    That is the key to screens or tosses out in the flat.
    If you can make that first LB miss, there's lots of space.
    AD never does.
    Now if you give AD a full head of steam he can be slippery or powerful, but he doesn't have a burst of acceleration and quickness required to make those plays work.

Go watch the tape.
    We are a much more productive team with CT on the field in 3rd downs.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:

that's all i'm saying..

CT isn't a 3rd down back?
    Are you even a football fan?
    CT is a great blocker and a great receiver, both qualities which are critical for a 3rd down back.
    Did you not see CT make not 1, but 2 HUGE plays on 3rd and long?
    On one he took a dump off pass, made 2 or 3 people miss and turned it into a 15 yard gain.
    On a 2nd, he took a draw and ran it outside again sidestepping 2 or 3 defenders for a 2nd 15 yard gain.
    CT was HUGE and has been the past 2 seasons in that role.

Honestly, I read all this hype about AD in "space".
    Honestly, I love AD, but he's done crap for screen plays.
    When he catches the ball and is stationary, he's dead meat.
    He has not, to my recollection, made that first guy miss him a single time.
    That is the key to screens or tosses out in the flat.
    If you can make that first LB miss, there's lots of space.
    AD never does.
    Now if you give AD a full head of steam he can be slippery or powerful, but he doesn't have a burst of acceleration and quickness required to make those plays work.

Go watch the tape.
    We are a much more productive team with CT on the field in 3rd downs.
    I'm gonna side with BPG here. I think CT is an excellent option in 3rd down situations as well as using him during a whole series.

Funny how the (We need to trade him)(He won't be happy in his role) crowds are now strangely quiet.
    ;D

By the way, BPG, stand by for the AD CSA'ers to come out of the woodwork for saying something bad about their boy.
    ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I don't think that it is the time of year to talk about trading him, but by the same measure, we don't know for certain whether he is happy having only 182 rushing yards this season either. It isn't like there are no other backs in the league who could be good for 3rd downs. Heck, we could have kept MeMo for that at a lower price and traded CT for a decent OL.

Yes, CT is a very good player to have, I have not heard anybody say anything other than that.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Maybe I'm totally off base here, but I'll throw this out anyway for discussion...
    We keep reading about how Childress tells Peterson how he needs more patience when running. Wait for his holes to open, and I totally understand this concept. But it looked to me like yesterday when Peterson got all his big runs, he just totally ran over and around people, not exhibiting much patience at all.
    Which begs the question, is Childress' coaching about patience hurting Peterson's running ability? Does the "patience" allow more tacklers to swarm to the hole? Or if Peterson hits the hole immediately does it give him a better chance to run over the one tackler trying to be blocked and his shiftiness then allows him to avoid many other would-be tacklers.
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast