Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    WildViking3030 is offline Training Camp

Re: Is Peterson overrated?

Gotta also consider how rookies jump into their rookie years with basically no rest.
    You figure they play out their final college season then jump right into combine workouts and into training camp.
    I do not think he is necessarily overrated because the talent is obviously there...I guess we'll all have a better perspective this season.
    Not to mention that teams don't stack the box against a player that is overrated.
    Another thing to consider is that the best back in the league today (Tomlinson) even had the majority of his yards come from a few games.
    He was pretty inconsistent throughout the season but that doesn't get thrown around as much compared to AD.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:

Toward the end of the season, teams started stacking the box on the Vikings.
    This mitigated AP's effectiveness.

Now that the Vikings have a legitimate #1 (berrian) and emerging #2 (Rice), teams will have to play the pass as well.
    The key of course will be TJ getting the ball to his receivers.

Robert Smith was a great back, but he always had a good line, great receivers, and for the most part - good QB play.
    His last 4 games were definitely his worst, but in 3 of those same 4 Taylor faced that same situation & had much better success. Why is that?

I wouuld only venture to guess that when AD was in there & him not being a good pass blocker, the defenses were damn confident he was getting the ball.

When Taylor was in there, those odds of it being a run vs a pass, probably weren't as great.

Unless AD gets a lot better at pass blocking, we'll be tipping our hand as to what type of play we might be calling based on which RB happens to be in there.
    Did Taylor really face the same situations though?

When Peterson was in the game, teams knew that we were running the ball and could stack the box.

With Taylor thrown in there they weren't sure what to expect, and couldn't get away with 8+ in the box.

IMO Chester Taylor was a change of pace and created questions for the defense, so he was able to pick up yardage where Peterson could not.

Once Peterson gets to the point where he can block like Taylor, and he's not a liability in the passing game, he'll be even more dangerous.
    I thought I just said that?
    :-\
    :P

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Blasphemy
    El underdog.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"digital420" wrote:
    lets say you take away his 2 best games, and his 2 worst games and compare that to the same
    for any other rookie.. and you'll see that he managed to do more then and adaquit job as a rookie.

now add in more time spent with the coaching, better team work with the oline, and some game time experience and you'll see a rushing attack i truely do believe that will be top 3 in the nfl if not the top.

over rated.. no... over hyped.. yes

the difference.. he wasn't bush hyped before the year started.. and he proved himself to gain his top tier stature.

DiGiTaL
    over rated.. no... over hyped.. yes

This I can totally agree with!
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I don't think he is overrated. I think our Offense will not allow him to shine. Could you imagine if we was on a team where the Qb and WRs made it impossible for them to stack the box? I hope that's what 2008 turns out to be for us but he would go nuts if he played for the Colts or one of these teams that are a bit more balanced offensivly

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I don't think he is overrated. I think our Offense will not allow him to shine. Could you imagine if we was on a team where the Qb and WRs made it impossible for them to stack the box? I hope that's what 2008 turns out to be for us but he would go nuts if he played for the Colts or one of these teams that are a bit more balanced offensivly
    I don't think you will have to imagine too much longer. Rice is gonna be a beast and will eventually be the #1 option. With Berrian who will improve even more and Pro Bowl talent in Rice we will become far more balanced. I dare teams to stack the box because we will burn them. I dare the Packers to do monday night, see what happens...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123