Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eyedea is offline Pro-Bowler

Is Peterson overrated?

As a huge Peterson fan, this is hard for me to say, but the case can easily be made.
    Many are banking on a fantastic running game led by Peterson to control the ball and make life easy for the passing game, but are we assuming too much from the ROY?
    While Peterson ran for 1,341 (96 per game) and 12 tds (.86 per game) on 5.6 per carry, if you take away his two huge (outlier) games, he is rather average.
    In the remaing games, he had only 821 yards (68 per game), and 6 tds (.5 per game) on 4.4 yards per carry.
    While those numbers are good, I wouldn't depend on those numbers to carry an offense.
    Secondly, he faded fast at the end of the season.
    Was it the injury, hitting the rookie wall, or were teams playing him better?
    Over his first 10 games, he averaged 120 yards per game over the final four only 36.
    Reason for concern?
    Perhaps...

Make love to the present, fuck the past
    --Sage Francis

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Peterson overrated?

yes

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Defense win championships.

"BadlandsViking" wrote:
    yes
    I agree and have from the start ;D

No matter how bad my life gets at least I m not a Packer fan.

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter

Uhhh...
    He only had shitty runs toward the end of the year because we couldn't throw?
    I'm pretty sure every team we played put 8 people in the box every play so we couldn't run?
    Overrated?
    Not even.

Remember, he had what 221 running yards against the bears?
    They had one of the best run defenses in the league last year?
    The Chargers have a pretty good defense as well, and we got 296 rushing yards against them.

It's not that AP is overrated, its that nobody can run against 8 people blitzing them.

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

Toward the end of the season, teams started stacking the box on the Vikings.
    This mitigated AP's effectiveness.
    Now that the Vikings have a legitimate #1 (berrian) and emerging #2 (Rice), teams will have to play the pass as well.
    The key of course will be TJ getting the ball to his receivers.

Robert Smith was a great back, but he always had a good line, great receivers, and for the most part - good QB play.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"umaguma1979" wrote:

Now that the Vikings have a legitimate #1 (berrian) and emerging #2 (Rice), teams will have to play the pass as well.

Robert Smith was a great back, but he always had a good line, great receivers, and for the most part - good QB play.
    His last 4 games were definitely his worst, but in 3 of those same 4 Taylor faced that same situation & had much better success. Why is that?

I wouuld only venture to guess that when AD was in there & him not being a good pass blocker, the defenses were damn confident he was getting the ball.

When Taylor was in there, those odds of it being a run vs a pass, probably weren't as great.

Unless AD gets a lot better at pass blocking, we'll be tipping our hand as to what type of play we might be calling based on which RB happens to be in there.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

This thread is fucking ridiculous. The man was coming off of a knee injury and I don't know about you guys, but after his first game back he seemed to slow down more and more each game with his cuts and speed. He was playing hurt in my opinion.

Also, it is hard, especially as a rookie, to run against a stacked box in the NFL. What was he supposed to do the last few games when other teams had 9 in the box and we just ran straight up the gut?

Peterson is not overrated. He is not the best ever (yet) but he is not overrated.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:

His last 4 games were definitely his worst, but in 3 of those same 4 Taylor faced that same situation & had much better success. Why is that?

I wouuld only venture to guess that when AD was in there & him not being a good pass blocker, the defenses were damn confident he was getting the ball.

When Taylor was in there, those odds of it being a run vs a pass, probably weren't as great.

Unless AD gets a lot better at pass blocking, we'll be tipping our hand as to what type of play we might be calling based on which RB happens to be in there.
    Nice post. Pretty much sums it up nicely. Bernard should help and Rice being on the field more will open up the run. One good reason why both backs should be on the field at the same time.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"marstc09" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "umaguma1979" wrote:

Nice post. Pretty much sums it up nicely. Bernard should help and Rice being on the field more will open up the run. One good reason why both backs should be on the field at the same time.
    I was thinking the same thing. It would be an optimum time for T-Jac k to hit Rice or Berrian for a long one, wouldn't it?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast