Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    538
    Let's face it. AD is a running back. He's a bit player now. And truth be told he has always been a bit player. Offenses today are built around a great passing game. You can't just run the ball in this league. He should come back fine and be a strong contributor as always and probably still dominate his fair share of games. We have to focus on fixing all the other issues. AD being healthy was never the answer. It's a team sport. I don't believe you can build a team around just a great running back. But if you have one like AD it sure helps.
    Last edited by thorshammer; 12-25-2011 at 11:26 PM.

  2. #22
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7
    The fact that the league has turned in to a passing league should just make it easier to run the ball because the defences will have the respect the passing game more, along with the playaction, we don't need to trade Adrian Peterson, we can't and we won't..

    We could develop a pretty good one-two punch with him and Toby for a long time, Adrian has time left and will come back determined to not let an injury like this slow him down..


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  3. #23
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    538
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    The fact that the league has turned in to a passing league should just make it easier to run the ball because the defences will have the respect the passing game more, along with the playaction, we don't need to trade Adrian Peterson, we can't and we won't..

    We could develop a pretty good one-two punch with him and Toby for a long time, Adrian has time left and will come back determined to not let an injury like this slow him down..
    Agreed. +1

  4. #24
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,308
    Quote Originally Posted by skum View Post
    The fact that the league has turned in to a passing league should just make it easier to run the ball because the defences will have the respect the passing game more, along with the playaction, we don't need to trade Adrian Peterson, we can't and we won't..

    We could develop a pretty good one-two punch with him and Toby for a long time, Adrian has time left and will come back determined to not let an injury like this slow him down..
    I agree with this 100 percent. I would not be shocked if he is there for the first game of the season next year. But I think we will be fine with him and Toby for a while if we develop our passing game at all like we should.

    If ... and it is a big if considering other needs ... we land Blackmon in the draft and have Blackmon and Harvin running around for Ponder, then we will definitely be okay with Toby for the first few games while we wait on AD to get to 100 percent.

    Plenty of players, even RBs, have come back from this injury and been very good. Terry Allen, Jerry Rice, Frank Gore, Willis McGahee. It is similar to Tommy John surgery in MLB ... it simply is not a death sentence for a player's career anymore.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    981
    The curse continues...
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Reinholds,Pa
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    You are a moron...just like the rest of us. But I also dream about a seasoned GM leading us back down the path of an organization that is no longer a joke.
    Merry Christmas.

    I concur I'm more than a moron......I'm 52 now been a fan since '68 ...I want to see a superbowl victory. Before I croak.......
    Who do you hire for the GM position? Bringing Green back is probably out of the question...Jeff Fisher would want the coaching slot along with GM duties....
    Gruden Also would want to coach....Cowher samething.....
    Ziggy has the cash to lure someone away .......who?
    None

  7. #27
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    I love some of the comments in here......

    Its a passing league.....(Tell that to the Bronco's)
    You build a team around a great QB....(Tell that to the Jets, 49'rs and the Bronco's for that matter)

    Are there some teams out there lighting things up? Sure, but it doesn't mean its a passing league. Heck, Marino's passing record is finally going to fall after 27 years. Look a that again.....27 years it took for someone to break that record. This is in the day and age were they make it simple to pass and hard on defenses to stop the pass.

    Give me a offense that can run and pass efficiently in both areas and a defense that can shut down the run/get pressure on the QB with just the front 4 and I will give you a championship team.

    Right now the PUKERS won't win. Why? They can't stop the run nor the pass on defense. Their OL can't provide a running game and their QB has to scramble for his life when he is passing for all those yards.

    Back to AD.

    I used Ced Griff in another thread as an example. It will take 2 years for him to come back. Sure he might make it back and play next year, but he won't be AD for 2 more years. That gives us time to fix OL problems, WR problems, get our QB matured a bit and fix our DT, LB'r and DB issues as well.

    And don't get me going on the coaching staff. By 2013 we should be out from under both the Chiller and Leslie debacles and maybe, just maybe the Wilfs will have hired a true GM by then.

    Denver with Tebow might still make the playoffs. The Jets with Sanchez gave it a good run. The 49rs with Alex Smith are a team I think could not only beat the PUKERS but just might give the Aints all they can handle.

    Hell, even the Seachickens almost made it in with TJ under center.

    In the end it isn't a passing league. Its a league, were balanced teams, that can exploit the other teams weaknesses (without being predictable) that win it all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #28
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I love some of the comments in here......
    And we love your responses....let's let the love-fest begin....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Its a passing league.....(Tell that to the Bronco's)
    Tell the Saints, Patriots, Packers, Giants, Lions, or Chargers that. You know...the top 6 passing teams in the League. Ironically, only San Diego isn't in the Play-offs....they need help to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You build a team around a great QB....(Tell that to the Jets, 49'rs and the Bronco's for that matter)
    See above....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Are there some teams out there lighting things up? Sure, but it doesn't mean its a passing league. Heck, Marino's passing record is finally going to fall after 27 years. Look a that again.....27 years it took for someone to break that record. This is in the day and age were they make it simple to pass and hard on defenses to stop the pass.
    That's because Marino's record was so astronomically high.... The Average NFL passer throws for @ 98 yardsw FEWER per game than Brees has this season. Of course, that average is dragged down by Jackson's paltry numbers......

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Give me a offense that can run and pass efficiently in both areas and a defense that can shut down the run/get pressure on the QB with just the front 4 and I will give you a championship team.
    Oh...a great running game AND a great Defense? Hell, give me a great passing game and a great Defense and I'll show you a champ too...the common denominator is the DEFENSE. What happens when you don't have that Defense? You get the Broncos (8-7), Panthers (6-9), Vikings (3-12), Eagles (7-8), or the Raiders (8-7).

    I pulled the Texans (10-5) from that list because they DO have a solid Defense...but they're the anomoly...and even they aren't frightening anyone right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Right now the PUKERS won't win. Why? They can't stop the run nor the pass on defense. Their OL can't provide a running game and their QB has to scramble for his life when he is passing for all those yards.
    But, again, who will beat them? New Orleans? Another Passing team? New York? Another passing team? Certainly you don't think the 49'ers will beat them, do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Back to AD.

    I used Ced Griff in another thread as an example. It will take 2 years for him to come back. Sure he might make it back and play next year, but he won't be AD for 2 more years. That gives us time to fix OL problems, WR problems, get our QB matured a bit and fix our DT, LB'r and DB issues as well.
    Pretty optimistic to get all those areas fixed in 2 years....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    And don't get me going on the coaching staff. By 2013 we should be out from under both the Chiller and Leslie debacles and maybe, just maybe the Wilfs will have hired a true GM by then.
    Nope...we'll have Frazier until at LEAST 2013-2014. No GM in sight....Zygi and his family are enjoying playing "Football Guru"....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Denver with Tebow might still make the playoffs. The Jets with Sanchez gave it a good run. The 49rs with Alex Smith are a team I think could not only beat the PUKERS but just might give the Aints all they can handle.
    Oh, wait, you DO think the 49'ers can beat the Packers... While I do admit to the "Any given Sunday" theory, even I see this as a long shot. Denver? No chance. Jets are done.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Hell, even the Seachickens almost made it in with TJ under center.
    Oh stop. Now you're just humiliating yourself. The Seachickens got there on the back of a solid Defense and a weak Division...and even then they're only 7-8. They didn't "almost make it"....

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    In the end it isn't a passing league. Its a league, were balanced teams, that can exploit the other teams weaknesses (without being predictable) that win it all.
    Sorry, Mar. It IS a passing league. Again, look at teh top 10 passing teams, then look at the top 10 running teams. Which list has the dominant teams? (I'll give you a hint...it isn't the running list). Teams with a rock solid Defense can make up a lot of weakness on Offense (49'ers, Steelers, Ravens, Texans), but even then, the DOMINANT teams are all in the top PASSING category.

    Caine

  9. #29
    Minniman's Avatar
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,415
    Running backs without injuries often decline quickly in the NFL. Running backs with injuries, with a few exceptions, never regain their former physical abilities.

    The Vikings paid too much for Peterson, as no running back is worth what he was paid, and now Peterson is damaged goods. The Vikings are in a sorry situation.

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And we love your responses....let's let the love-fest begin....



    Sorry, Mar. It IS a passing league. Again, look at teh top 10 passing teams, then look at the top 10 running teams. Which list has the dominant teams? (I'll give you a hint...it isn't the running list). Teams with a rock solid Defense can make up a lot of weakness on Offense (49'ers, Steelers, Ravens, Texans), but even then, the DOMINANT teams are all in the top PASSING category.

    Caine
    No its not. Look at how many playoff teams are in the top 10 in rushing stats.

    Look, I admit that the league is TRYING to make it into a high flying shoot out teams still try to "Stop the Run" and "Establish the Run" first.

    Even the Saints (and this is why they will beat the PUKERS) have a defense geared towards taking away the run. If you doubt me look at their FA acquisitions this off season.

    27 years my friend. 27 years. You can't poooh poooh that away.

    Oh stop. Now you're just humiliating yourself. The Seachickens got there on the back of a solid Defense and a weak Division...and even then they're only 7-8. They didn't "almost make it"....
    No, I just thought I would throw that one in there for ya.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •