Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro" #1099465][quote="ejmat" #1099461]WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."
    [/quote]
    Comeon. Thats what the articles are supposed to do. Stimulate "DISCUSSION". Not my fault bleed likes to "DEBATE".;) [/quote]

Oh bullshit, we've had the "DISCUSSION" in many other threads.

A comment like this [quote="Marrdro
    Hmmmmmmm, who would have thought......A team that can carry a young QB if they all do their jobs.

What a novel concept.
    has no purpose other than to get a reaction and start an argument (Call it waht you will, it is what it is).
    Bottom line when it comes to this is, yes a team would have to carry a young QB just as the Jets have done and the Steelers did for Ben in his rookie season. But that doesn't mean the QB doesn't have to do their share such as manage the game, be careful with the ball and make a few passes to keep the defense honest. It is a TEAM effort especially espcially when there is a young QB in the mix. A vet still needs the TEAM to win but some can help win games moreso than a younger QB most of hte time.
    Agree 100%.

One thing to "Ponder" though, with respect to the Jets anyways, is the QB did make a butt load of mistakes and the defense still bailed him out.

I'm kindof hoping we will see that this year if young Ponder does have a few gaffs, cause he is going to.
    I would love to see our Defense be strong enough to bail out Ponder from his inevitable mistakes. I'm not sure they're quite at that level. IMO our defense has been overachieving the past two years. They don't quite seem as dominant.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple" #1099467][quote="Marrdro" #1099465][quote="ejmat" #1099461]WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."
    [/quote]
    Comeon. Thats what the articles are supposed to do. Stimulate "DISCUSSION". Not my fault bleed likes to "DEBATE".;) [/quote]

Hmmmmmmm, who would have thought......A team that can carry a young QB if they all do their jobs.

What a novel concept.
    has no purpose other than to get a reaction and start an argument (Call it waht you will, it is what it is).
    Bottom line when it comes to this is, yes a team would have to carry a young QB just as the Jets have done and the Steelers did for Ben in his rookie season. But that doesn't mean the QB doesn't have to do their share such as manage the game, be careful with the ball and make a few passes to keep the defense honest. It is a TEAM effort especially espcially when there is a young QB in the mix. A vet still needs the TEAM to win but some can help win games moreso than a younger QB most of hte time.
    Agree 100%.

One thing to "Ponder" though, with respect to the Jets anyways, is the QB did make a butt load of mistakes and the defense still bailed him out.

I'm kindof hoping we will see that this year if young Ponder does have a few gaffs, cause he is going to.
    I would love to see our Defense be strong enough to bail out Ponder from his inevitable mistakes. I'm not sure they're quite at that level. IMO our defense has been overachieving the past two years. They don't quite seem as dominant.[/quote]

Agree with both of you. I would love for our defense to be as dominate as the Jets have. They have the talent but they have to put it together. If that is the case, I would be more than happy to see Ponder start week 1 with the offensive cast. The only issue I would have is the OL. For a rookie QB that could be a huge problem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ejmat" #1099484][quote="i_bleed_purple" #1099467][quote="Marrdro" #1099465][quote="ejmat" #1099461]WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."
    [/quote]

What a novel concept.
    Agree 100%.

I would love to see our Defense be strong enough to bail out Ponder from his inevitable mistakes. I'm not sure they're quite at that level. IMO our defense has been overachieving the past two years. They don't quite seem as dominant.[/quote]

Agree with both of you. I would love for our defense to be as dominate as the Jets have. They have the talent but they have to put it together. If that is the case, I would be more than happy to see Ponder start week 1 with the offensive cast. The only issue I would have is the OL. For a rookie QB that could be a huge problem.[/quote]

Good point, the Jets ALSO just so happen to ahve one of the better O Lines in the game today. They can give him time to wait for his receivers to get WIDE open and hopefully not drop it in the endzone.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099435
    I really dont know much about the guy," Peterson told ESPN while visiting its headquarters in the middle of the month. "Ive heard nothing but good things about him. Ive watched him a little bit at Florida State. One thing I have noticed is hes smart with the ball, hes very accurate and just taking the surrounding cast we have as far as receivers -- Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, [Visanthe] Shiancoe -- I feel like hell be able to do enough to get us there. We all have our part to do to contribute. Im definitely going to do my part. So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him [being as how] hes a first-year guy and well see how he responds.
    Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

What a novel concept.
    There is a HUGE difference between "making it easy" for someone and "Carrying" someone.

Greg Jennings and Donald Driver "make it easy" for Rodgers. Do you think they carry him?

Caine

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Of course good WRs make it easy on a QB. Fucking stupid discussion. A good o-line make it easy on a RB/QB, a good QB makes it easy on RBs by taking off pressure, a good team makes it easy on a coach. It's a team effort, so why do you think Ponder wouldn't be involved. Yes they'll probably have to carry him by making highlight reel catches on every single play because he's too stupid and inaccurate to throw it straight? You just want this to be an argument to support all the BS you spew against Favre.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1099502
    Of course good WRs make it easy on a QB. Fucking stupid discussion. A good o-line make it easy on a RB/QB, a good QB makes it easy on RBs by taking off pressure, a good team makes it easy on a coach. It's a team effort, so why do you think Ponder wouldn't be involved. Yes they'll probably have to carry him by making highlight reel catches on every single play because he's too stupid and inaccurate to throw it straight? You just want this to be an argument to support all the BS you spew against Favre.
    There's a 2x4 impression on Marr's forehead now....

Caine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1099502
    You just want this to be an argument to support all the BS you spew against Favre.
    Just bumped you up a few columns in the 'ol spreadsheet my friend.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099447
    Apparently, considering most people, including current and former players will tell you that vets DO help young players out with not only film review, how to act like a pro, etc. but with actually learning the scheme, player tendencies, and how to play the position.

But of course, you conveniently ignore them. As usual.
    I do nothing of the sort. What I don't agree with is when someone says that the Noodle was coaching up the players and running the offense when in fact he wasn't.

Player tendencies. How do they figure out player tendencies? Game tape?

Learning the scheme. Coaches do that more so than players. Thats what they are on the staff for. If they didn't do it, then why do the owners pay them? Surely they don't pay them to get coffee or juice for the players.

What I will agree to is the film study stuff/acting like a pro things meantioned above along with some players are very good at being coaches on the field. Those are the ones that you see step into a coaching position right after they quit the game (or the game quits them).

Very few of those are players who want to teach one of the rooks to take their jobs.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple" #1099493][quote="ejmat" #1099484][quote="i_bleed_purple" #1099467][quote="Marrdro" #1099465][quote="ejmat" #1099461]WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."
    [/quote]

What a novel concept.
    Agree 100%.

Agree with both of you. I would love for our defense to be as dominate as the Jets have. They have the talent but they have to put it together. If that is the case, I would be more than happy to see Ponder start week 1 with the offensive cast. The only issue I would have is the OL. For a rookie QB that could be a huge problem.[/quote]

Good point, the Jets ALSO just so happen to ahve one of the better O Lines in the game today. They can give him time to wait for his receivers to get WIDE open and hopefully not drop it in the endzone.[/quote]
    What about the Steelers and Big Ben then? They still don't have a decent OL and his first two seasons he pretty much sucked it up and the defense still bailed him out.

Besides, it isn't like we don't have a decent OL. It was ranked middle of the league with a heck of alot of backups playing last year.

In short, I think if we have our starters back (plus maybe a new C) healthy the OL won't be young Ponders problem.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1099496
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099435
    I really dont know much about the guy," Peterson told ESPN while visiting its headquarters in the middle of the month. "Ive heard nothing but good things about him. Ive watched him a little bit at Florida State. One thing I have noticed is hes smart with the ball, hes very accurate and just taking the surrounding cast we have as far as receivers -- Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, [Visanthe] Shiancoe -- I feel like hell be able to do enough to get us there. We all have our part to do to contribute. Im definitely going to do my part. So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him [being as how] hes a first-year guy and well see how he responds.
    Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

What a novel concept.
    There is a HUGE difference between "making it easy" for someone and "Carrying" someone.

Greg Jennings and Donald Driver "make it easy" for Rodgers. Do you think they carry him?

Caine
    An excellent point. Problem is, atleast for me, a QB that sat on the bench learning the game from the bench, shouldn't really need alot of carrying IMHO.

Now if he was thrown to the wolves as a rook, yes, I expect they would have carried him a bit.

Coming off the bench, they helped make it easy for him, but last year he actually made them look pretty good. Kindof how one would expect to see a QB mature.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast