Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

I really dont know much about the guy," Peterson told ESPN while visiting its headquarters in the middle of the month. "Ive heard nothing but good things about him. Ive watched him a little bit at Florida State. One thing I have noticed is hes smart with the ball, hes very accurate and just taking the surrounding cast we have as far as receivers -- Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, [Visanthe] Shiancoe -- I feel like hell be able to do enough to get us there. We all have our part to do to contribute. Im definitely going to do my part. So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him [being as how] hes a first-year guy and well see how he responds.
    Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

Hmmmmmmm, who would have thought......A team that can carry a young QB if they all do their jobs.

What a novel concept.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is online now Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Peterson eager to see Ponder in action

ummm... he never said that. In fact, this is the closest quote you can get that you twisted into carrying a QB:

"So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him [being as how] hes a first-year guy and well see how he responds."

In Peterson's mind, that means rushing for 2500 yards so he doesn't have to throw.

Blog Entries

ON a Semi-related note: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82080896/article/vikings-ponder-wants-to-start-but-willing-to-learn-from-veteran?module=HP_headlines

"Obviously, I think everyone in my position would love to start Week 1," Ponder told the station last week. "Its the competitor in me, and something Ive always dreamed of was starting in the NFL and I want to do it ASAP. But obviously there are some reasons behind bringing a guy in and obviously theres some definite pros to it. If they still bring in a guy, its going to be someone who knows what hes doing. It will give me a lot to learn from and help me out.
    I thought it wasn't the Vet's job to help young players out?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099438
    ummm... he never said that. In fact, this is the closest quote you can get that you twisted into carrying a QB:

"So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him [being as how] hes a first-year guy and well see how he responds."

In Peterson's mind, that means rushing for 2500 yards so he doesn't have to throw.
    Yea, like I'd have to work reall hard to twist that. :lol:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099443

Again, very open-ended statement.

Maybe he means helping him learn the plays? (Oh right, vets don't help rooks).

I'm willing to bet, it's more to do with him thinking he's easily the best player in the league (he does) and will make any QB look good.

but another thing you should look at int he quote

So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him
    There's no I in team. Meaning, he's not saying the team can carry him, he's only saying he's gonna do waht he can to help. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099441
    ON a Semi-related note: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82080896/article/vikings-ponder-wants-to-start-but-willing-to-learn-from-veteran?module=HP_headlines

"Obviously, I think everyone in my position would love to start Week 1," Ponder told the station last week. "Its the competitor in me, and something Ive always dreamed of was starting in the NFL and I want to do it ASAP. But obviously there are some reasons behind bringing a guy in and obviously theres some definite pros to it. If they still bring in a guy, its going to be someone who knows what hes doing. It will give me a lot to learn from and help me out.
    Playing Madden has you confused again.

Let me help get you back on track.....

Coaches coach....Players play. Coaches teach the scheme and prep ALL the players for the upcoming game after they spend the Mon/Tue in coaches meetings putting together the weekly game plan.

What a Vet brings to the table is how to act like a pro when it comes to getting ready, especially when no coaches are around (i.e. Mon/Tues) and there is film to study, lifting to do, etc etc etc.

Not a hard concept to grasp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099445
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099441

Playing Madden has you confused again.
    enlighten me, in what way?
    Let me help get you back on track.....

Coaches coach....Players play. Coaches teach the scheme and prep ALL the players for the upcoming game after they spend the Mon/Tue in coaches meetings putting together the weekly game plan.
    Ah, but in madden, there is absolutely no player to player interaction. No chemistry, no guidance, certainly no coaching. so I'm not sure where you're pulling this crap from.
    What a Vet brings to the table is how to act like a pro when it comes to getting ready, especially when no coaches are around (i.e. Mon/Tues) and there is film to study, lifting to do, etc etc etc.

Not a hard concept to grasp.
    Apparently, considering most people, including current and former players will tell you that vets DO help young players out with not only film review, how to act like a pro, etc. but with actually learning the scheme, player tendencies, and how to play the position.

But of course, you conveniently ignore them. As usual.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1099444
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1099443

Again, very open-ended statement.

Maybe he means helping him learn the plays? (Oh right, vets don't help rooks).

I'm willing to bet, it's more to do with him thinking he's easily the best player in the league (he does) and will make any QB look good.

but another thing you should look at int he quote

So Im going to do the best I can to make it easy on him
    There's no I in team. Meaning, he's not saying the team can carry him, he's only saying he's gonna do waht he can to help. No more, no less.
    But there is an I in team if you take his statement in total instead of just looking at 2 words....

just taking the surrounding cast we have as far as receivers -- Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, [Visanthe] Shiancoe
    Surrounding cast.......WE.......

LOL, again, not hard to twist.

Sounds like a total team effort my friend.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."

Bottom line when it comes to this is, yes a team would have to carry a young QB just as the Jets have done and the Steelers did for Ben in his rookie season. But that doesn't mean the QB doesn't have to do their share such as manage the game, be careful with the ball and make a few passes to keep the defense honest. It is a TEAM effort especially espcially when there is a young QB in the mix. A vet still needs the TEAM to win but some can help win games moreso than a younger QB most of hte time.

Quote Originally Posted by "ejmat" #1099461
    WOW! It's funny how a simple article can turn into a debate of "I think...." and "Maybe...."
    Comeon. Thats what the articles are supposed to do. Stimulate "DISCUSSION". Not my fault bleed likes to "DEBATE".

Bottom line when it comes to this is, yes a team would have to carry a young QB just as the Jets have done and the Steelers did for Ben in his rookie season. But that doesn't mean the QB doesn't have to do their share such as manage the game, be careful with the ball and make a few passes to keep the defense honest. It is a TEAM effort especially espcially when there is a young QB in the mix. A vet still needs the TEAM to win but some can help win games moreso than a younger QB most of hte time.
    Agree 100%.

One thing to "Ponder" though, with respect to the Jets anyways, is the QB did make a butt load of mistakes and the defense still bailed him out.

I'm kindof hoping we will see that this year if young Ponder does have a few gaffs, cause he is going to.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast