Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:Peterson: Apt Pupil

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/15/vikings-can-expect-problems-with-adrian-peterson/
    Today, we look at the problems that the Vikings have had of late with running back Adrian Peterson. We think it's just the beginning.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Continued Bieniemy: "Your first two steps are by far the most important. Why? Because it puts us in sync with the o-line. Second it gives us the course that we want. We rushed for 1,300 yards last year, and don't get me wrong, for the average back that's a good year. But not for us. That's extremely. ... It's the reason why we're not accomplishing our goals. It ain't anything that they're doing. It's what we're not doing."
    Message to Peterson: Be patient

I found the following quote kindof interesting.

being consistent was really interesting. There was a good deal of discussion that AP was tipping off defenses. It could be that by not having a consistent first two steps, defenses can identify what the Viking's blocking scheme will be for particular running plays. This would be a huge advantage for containment linebackers to get to the holes faster by knowing where AP was headed. This could go a long way to explaining AP's drop off in production as the season progressed. Defensive coordinators breaking down the film saw AP's tendencies with his footwork and exploited that. It may be that a running back's first couple of steps need to be consistent like a pitcher having the same motion for his fastball and change up. Don't want to give anything away.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Continued Bieniemy: "Your first two steps are by far the most important. Why? Because it puts us in sync with the o-line. Second it gives us the course that we want. We rushed for 1,300 yards last year, and don't get me wrong, for the average back that's a good year. But not for us. That's extremely. ... It's the reason why we're not accomplishing our goals. It ain't anything that they're doing. It's what we're not doing."

being consistent was really interesting. There was a good deal of discussion that AP was tipping off defenses. It could be that by not having a consistent first two steps, defenses can identify what the Viking's blocking scheme will be for particular running plays. This would be a huge advantage for containment linebackers to get to the holes faster by knowing where AP was headed. This could go a long way to explaining AP's drop off in production as the season progressed. Defensive coordinators breaking down the film saw AP's tendencies with his footwork and exploited that. It may be that a running back's first couple of steps need to be consistent like a pitcher having the same motion for his fastball and change up. Don't want to give anything away.
    Can't say I've noticed, but I could see that being the case. Needs to take a lesson from Peyton manning in that department.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I watched this piece with mild interest last night, hearkening back to a few threads were some chucklehead was trying to convince our PPO family that AD just needs to let the OL set up the blocks.

Theenemy sure was hammering that point home. Loved how he emphasised how important the first 2 steps were with respect to setting those blocks up and how he used a certain RB from TN as an example of how to do it the right way.

Good stuff.....
    yes... and Bienemy has been nothing but outstanding as a coach thus far.....

Watch it for yourself. CJ takes the ball, finds a hole and hits it hard for a decent gain. He doesn't wait around in the backfield for something to develop.

I think everyone from Viking Fans, to other teams fans to analysist will tell you our run blocking was lacking last season.

Bawhawheehaw - Theenemy! lol. :laugh:
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Can't say I've noticed, but I could see that being the case. Needs to take a lesson from Peyton manning in that department.
    Interesting theory on AD tipping off defenses. Never really thought of it before and don't know that I buy into it, but worth checking out. There is no doubt that LB'ers are on AD before he hits the holes in many cases, I took this as defenses just playing really agressive against AD, but maybe its a combination.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I've paid attention to how many yards back he lines up when he runs as opposed to staying in on passing downs

But I hadn't heard of anything about his first 2 steps tipping a D.. Sounds like a legitimate claim to me

He seemed to get stuffed in the backfield damn near every other run

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

V4L wrote:
    I've paid attention to how many yards back he lines up when he runs as opposed to staying in on passing downs

But I hadn't heard of anything about his first 2 steps tipping a D.. Sounds like a legitimate claim to me

but its clearly his own fault, I mean the holes are there... right? How else woudl all those defenders rush through and hit him in the backfield? He needs to be more patient and wait for plays to develop.

[size=1pt]</sarcasm>[/size]

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    V4L wrote:

but its clearly his own fault, I mean the holes are there... right? How else woudl all those defenders rush through and hit him in the backfield? He needs to be more patient and wait for plays to develop.

[size=1pt]</sarcasm>[/size]
    Nope it couldn't be the line.. I mean Big Mac was a probowler right? I don't think the probowl is a popularity contest

Got Hutch there.. He's an all-pro, that injury didn't hurt him at all last year

HERRERA! Also looked like that injury didn't hurt him either

Then the 2 young bucks.. Come on they played lights out

Frickin AP..

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I didn't like this video at all. It seemed very awkward. I have no problem with Bienemy and our other coaches ripping him apart, but not for the whole world to see. It just seemed like an inappropriate time to show him how much better CJ was then him and just breaking down his performance in such a brutal way.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I didn't like this video at all. It seemed very awkward. I have no problem with Bienemy and our other coaches ripping him apart, but not for the whole world to see. It just seemed like an inappropriate time to show him how much better CJ was then him and just breaking down his performance in such a brutal way.
    I think it was planned as a PR move to show that the staff was really working with AD.

In short, I don't think to many paid much attention to it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast