Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peterson ?

erik5032 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Peterson ?

If the answer is bring 10 people to shut down AD then yes they found the answer.

Vikefan05 is offline Pro-Bowler

I vaguely remember a situation with #84 back a few years ago similar to this.
    That year we opened up the run with Robert Smith and gouged everyone with "the other poison".
    Teams had to respect the run and pull a defender away to stop him.
    The the long ball was available to Moss or Carter at that point.
    I know it is opposite this year, but it should work the same.
    With a legitimate pass threat, we should re-open the run.
    Its better to lose the first game than the last one.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Just calm down AD is going to run rapid on defenses this year even with 8 guys in the box.
    Honestly, once BB gets healthy, they are going to have to respect the pass otherwise its going to be deep ball after deep ball.
    They won't be able to stop both.

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Well, true. I think this team could become kind of a nightmare for opposing def. coordinators.

Options:

a. Stack the box to take AP out of it: result: single coverage with the safeties in the box. Berrian goes nuts.

b. Put the safety back and prevent the long ball: AP goes nuts underneath.

Either way, you are hosed.
    ;D

The thing that really bothered me last year was the last 4 games, where the def.coordinators clearly chose a. above and we could not throw our way out of it.

I trust that will be remedied this year.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=12pt]On the Run[/size]
    http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1845
    The Vikings’ struggles to run the ball in their 12-10 preseason loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday is sure to cause plenty of talk about what has gone wrong with a running game that finished atop the NFL in 2007 by averaging 164.6 yards per game.

Dissecting offensive line play can be difficult but there is no question the Vikings first-team line did not have one of its better games. Right guard Anthony Herrera and center Matt Birk were called for false start penalties on the opening drive and right tackle Ryan Cook had at-best a difficult night.

Of course, any talk about the Vikings ground game won’t focus so much on the line as it will Adrian Peterson...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=12pt]On the Run[/size]
    http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=1845
    The Vikings’ struggles to run the ball in their 12-10 preseason loss to Pittsburgh on Saturday is sure to cause plenty of talk about what has gone wrong with a running game that finished atop the NFL in 2007 by averaging 164.6 yards per game.

Dissecting offensive line play can be difficult but there is no question the Vikings first-team line did not have one of its better games. Right guard Anthony Herrera and center Matt Birk were called for false start penalties on the opening drive and right tackle Ryan Cook had at-best a difficult night.

Of course, any talk about the Vikings ground game won’t focus so much on the line as it will Adrian Peterson...
    *reaches for the panic button*

Na I dont think its time to panic just now. We do have to start running like we would next week because after that we have Gb which has a solid defense and if we cant run its going to be a low scoring game since they have two good CBs and I know our defense wont let up much against their offense

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "ryanmurphy" wrote:
    Look at AD's big games from last year...
    Most of his numbers are in the 2nd half.
    They even mentioned this during the broadcast last night.
    He hits the defenders and wears them down.
    So...
    If most of his yards are historically in the 2nd half, and he does not play the 2nd half of preseason games, then logically his pre season numbers aren't that good.
    Two more weeks...
    Just be patient.
    +1

AD's big numbers almost always come in the second half.
    When the D is run down,
    but he isn't.
    Hence the "All Day" nickname.

And it is freaking preseason.
    How can someone seriously complain about the play calling in preseason?
    Especially when our starters have outperformed the opponent's starters in every game?
    Probably in the same fashion that one can seriously brag about or say how wonderful a player or the offense/defense will be based on what they've seen in preseason. Look around, it's being done big time.

It is still preseason whether you're talking about the positives or the negatives.

Why is it fair to chastise Shiancoe, Birk, Cook or any other player during preaseason games with many jumping on that bandwagon, yet Peterson is a sacred cow & cannot be mentioned without retort?

We have seen a better passing attack this preseason, but we haven't seen the positive effect on the running game because of it.

It could quickly become a valid concern in two weeks. To simply pretend there is absolutely no need for concern just because it's preseason doesn't seem right. It's still our starters against their starters for at least as long as they are in there. 2nd, 3rd & 4th stringers against their 2nd, 3rd & 4th stringers might not mean much, but when it's our starters against their starters you want to see them play well & execute.

Does anyone expect things to magically change for our starters once regular season starts?

You can say well, they called very vanilla plays, but that is what's been getting called damn near every game since Childress has been in charge. Both preseason & regular season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

It will be okay.

Remember the Chargers at the beginning of last year?
    They were pretty frustrated (link).
    LT averaged about 43 yards/game and 2.3 yards/carry the first 3 weeks.
    I don't know if it's because he didn't play in the preseason and he needed to get his legs under him.
    My guess is it's just a game, and sometimes you have a bad game.
    Sometimes you have a couple bad games in a row.
    But at the end of the day he was still LT, and he averaged about 103 yards/game and 5.2 yards/carry the rest of the season.

So, Adrian Peterson is still Adrian Peterson.
    And I think the Vikes will be just fine.

When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I think AD will be okay. We need to remember it's pre season and we are running just bland plays with very plain schemes. Not to worry peeps!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I think AD will be okay. We need to remember it's pre season and we are running just bland plays with very plain schemes. Not to worry peeps!
    Sounds like the 2007 regular season.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast