2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Peter King SI Quote

"sureban" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "sureban" wrote:
    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    I think fowler will get the team
    Testify!
    Yes...testify...that you got your screen name from the two brands of underarm deodorant that you use!!! :lol: :lol:
    No, this is just the way to pronunce my last name in english (Shcherban), it is Ukrainian.
    u speak ukrainian ?

sureban is offline Rookie

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    "sureban" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "sureban" wrote:
    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    I think fowler will get the team
    Testify!
    Yes...testify...that you got your screen name from the two brands of underarm deodorant that you use!!! :lol: :lol:
    No, this is just the way to pronunce my last name in english (Shcherban), it is Ukrainian.
    u speak ukrainian ?
    Very, very little. I was born and raised in Toronto. My parents spoke english exclusively. My grandmother tried to teach me and even sent me to school on saturday mornings, but that got old for me as a ten year old who wanted to watch cartoons instead.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    look, all I hear is whining about Red being the owner, and how everyone wants him out of town. Now there's a chance for a new owner, and you guys are bashing him. What the hell? Look, stop bitching and choose. Do you want Fowler or Red. It's probably going to be one of the two (I'm pretty sure it won't be Taylor). I just wish all of you would just be done with it!

:roll: THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE STARTS WITH THE OWNER, EXCUSE ME IF I'D LIKE A GOOD ONE. I DON'T WANT FOWLER OR RED, I WANT TAYLOR.
    Get Taylor!!!

Posted on Wed, Apr. 13, 2005

NFL STILL TALKING TO TAYLOR

CHARLEY WALTERS

The National Football League hasn't forgotten about Glen Taylor, who remains interested in buying the Vikings.

Following NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's visit to Blaine last week, Tagliabue's top associate, Roger Goodell, telephoned the Timberwolves owner from New York to seek his opinion of the proposed Vikings stadium site in Blaine. They also discussed other potential sites.

Goodell, who is handling the prospective sale of the Vikings by Red McCombs to Reggie Fowler, didn't discuss Taylor's interest in buying the team but wanted his input on stadium matters. The conversation was said to be one of information gathering.

The NFL remains uncertain whether Fowler can raise enough capital to complete the purchase of the Vikings, and the league continues to wait on the Arizona businessman and his investors.

• Taylor has received no indication from Kevin McHale that the Wolves vice president won't be returning in the same VP capacity next season.

• The Twins are guardedly optimistic about finally getting approval for a new ballpark this legislative session. St. Paul remains in the hunt.

• Jimmie Hall, 67, the popular former Twins all-star center fielder, has become a recluse living in North Carolina but is considering coming to the Twins' 1965 World Series reunion in mid-August at the Metrodome.

• More than 600 fans showed up at Tuesday's Welcome Twins luncheon in downtown Minneapolis. As usual, center fielder Torii Hunter was the star of the show.

There were no unexcused absences at the luncheon. At last year's welcome luncheon, Cristian Guzman and Jose Offerman were unexcused no-shows. Both are gone this year.

• In his first three games for the Colorado Rockies, former Twins outfielder Michael Restovich of Rochester, Minn., hit .333 with two singles and a run batted in.

• Staples, Minn., native Dave Joerger, 31, became just the second coach to win three Continental Basketball Association titles when Sioux Falls (S.D.) recently won the championship. Ex-Timberwolves coach Bill Musselman coached four CBA championship teams. Ex-Wolves coach Flip Saunders won two CBA titles.

• Former Gopher and Viking Jack Brewer is attending an executive program through the Harvard Business School financed by the NFL.

• Longtime referees Frank White and Carl Britt will be inducted into the Minnesota State High School League Hall of Fame on May 18 at the Double Tree Park Place in St. Louis Park.

• Ex-Gopher Glen Perkins of Stillwater is expected to pitch for the Twins' Class A Fort Myers club next week if his sore left wrist heals.

• Vikings punter Travis Dorsch averaged 41.3 yards for the Rhein Fire in a 23-10 loss to Cologne in NFL Europe on Sunday. Former Gophers defensive end Greg White plays for Cologne.

• Don Pribyl, an All-America kicker and tight end who booted a 47-yard field goal to lift St. John's past St. Thomas 16-15 in 1985 at O'Shaughnessy Field, died the other day at age 40 of cancer.

• On April 26, USA Swimming officials will visit Xcel Energy Center, which with San Antonio and Omaha is a finalist to play host to the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials.

• The Gophers football team will play California, a member of the Pacific 10 Conference, in the Metrodome in 2006.

• Ex-Gophers golfer Simon Nash tied for third in February in the New Zealand Open, a European and Australasian Tour golf tournament.

• Final payment for Vikings season-ticket renewals is due June 2. Team officials say the 2,500 ticket requests on the team's waiting list should be fulfilled. The Vikings cap their season-ticket list at 60,000.

• Quarterback Chris Weinke, the former Heisman Trophy winner from St. Paul, has been in Charlotte, N.C., working out with the Carolina Panthers. Weinke, 31, will be in the fifth season of his five-year contract with the Panthers and has become vested in the NFL pension program. He will play in new Vikings backup quarterback Brad Johnson's golf tournament in Tallahassee, Fla., this week. Both are Florida State alumni.

• Tony Bonsante of Shakopee has reached the second round of the NBC-TV reality series "The Contender" featuring Sylvester Stallone and Sugar Ray Leonard.

• Gophers who could be picked in major league baseball's amateur draft in June: Matt Fornasiere, Andy Hunter, Mike Mee, Jake Elder and Matt Loberg.

• Creighton and Xavier are leading in recruitment of DeLaSalle junior point guard Cameron Rundles.

• Assistant coach James Ware is organizing the Gophers men's summer basketball camps (www.gopherball.com).

• Fifteen of 20 players on Denver University's NCAA championship hockey team, and 14 of 20 at runner-up North Dakota, are from the United States. Eleven of 12 players on the NCAA All-America team are Americans, which probably is without precedent.

• In his first seven games for the Toronto Blue Jays, ex-Twins third baseman Corey Koskie hit .208 with one home run and two RBIs. His replacement with the Twins, Michael Cuddyer, hit .174 in his first six games with a double and no RBIs.

• The first thing Wayzata's Tim Herron mentioned following his 11th-place tie in last week's Masters was that finishing 10th or better would have meant significant Ryder Cup points for the 2006 event in Ireland. No points are awarded for 11th or worse.

Herron moved up from 48th to 44th in the world golf ranking. Former Gopher Tom Lehman, who finished in a tie for 13th at Augusta, moved from 21st to 20th.

• Owner Glen Taylor, whose disappointing Timberwolves play host to Golden State tonight: "We still want our guys to play their hardest and finish the season with wins even though at this point we're probably out of the playoffs."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charley Walters' column appears Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at cwalters @ pioneerpress.com
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleRide" wrote:
    I don't trust taylor, he did cheat and break a major rule in the NBA whats stopping him from doing the same in the NFL. Plus taylor is such a cheap a$$ he said would pay a portion of the team then pay the rest if a stadium deal was done. That is cheap!!!

The money he put into the Wolves payroll to try and win an NBA championship and he is a cheap a$$.

I do not understand your reasoning!

Red is a cheap a$$, if he had been even close to the salary cap maybe our team would have been doing better the last 4 years!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345