Thread: perplexed

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

perplexed

i know this is old news but can someone clear this up for me?

how come everyone [all the analysts, media, etc] proclaimed that arizona put the packers into the playoffs when in essence, had we won that game, they would've been in anyway? think about it... this is how it would've looked:::

division winners
    1 philadelphia 13-3
    2 st louis 12-4
    3 carolina 12-4
    4 minnesota 10-6

wild card
    5 dallas 10-6
    6 green bay 10-6

out
    seattle 10-6

from what i remember, didn't green bay slaughter seattle, giving them the advantage in the first tie-breaker, head to head? yet people insist that poole put the packers into the playoffs, and had we won, they would've been out... they wouldn't have been out, they would just be 6th seed. and from what i remember, analysts were claiming that seattle would "clinch" a playoff spot if they went on the road and beat san francisco the night before. (which they did) but if we won that arizona game, they would've been out, therefore not "clinching" as analysts saying they would.

i get confused just thinking about it, but i think analysts and commentators were wrong when they said seattle clinched, and were wrong when they said poole put the packers into the playoffs

perplexed

The way the playoffs worked out last season was:
    -if the Vikes won, they won the division and the Packers were out.
    -if the Vikes lost, the Packers won the division and the Vikes were out.

Seattle had the 5th seed and Cowboys had the 6th seed.
    Seattle and Dallas were both 10-6, that's why they got in over us.

To tell you the truth, last season did suck, but the Vikes weren't ready to win in the playoffs. They weren't a Super Bowl caliber team yet, too inconsistent. I guess that is why I wasn't as disappointed as others were. We probably would have gone out in the second round anyway.

I'm just glad the Packers did a choke-job themselves. Serves em right!
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

pepper 0n moss is offline Pro-Bowler

perplexed

thanks for the clarification man... that's been killin me all this time

oh man... so let me get this straight...

green bay, dallas, and seattle woulda all been 10-6, seattle somehow comes out of all that on top for the 5th seed, and dallas had a tiebreaker over greenbay???

damn my feeble brain!!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

perplexed

My memory is fuzzy from that far back....

But had the Vikings won, they would win the division based on a better NFC record than the Packers. That would have left a three way tie for the two wild card spots between Green Bay, Dallas, and Seattle. Green Bay had head to head vs. the Seahawks but didn't play Dallas, so in a three way tie if one team didn't sweep the other two, the first tiebreaker is conference record. Seattle and Dallas were both 8-4 in the NFC, GB was 7-5 and would be the first team eliminated.
    SKOL VIKINGS!