Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I don't think our drafting is that bad. Player development on the other hand, has a ways to go.
    Again I agree. Load is a prime example. Cat did pretty good for a rookie.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

He won't have staggering numbers with Ponder at Qb. ever.....he is looking at his next contract.......biggers numbers bigger money.
    None

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    He was a 2nd rounder Marr. He should do "pretty good"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    snicker!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

McNabb couldn't complete a pass....
    McNabb keeps getting chastised for this, yet his pass completion was considerably better than Ponder's was and few people acknowledge it. He also only threw 2 INT's to Ponder's 13.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    McNabb keeps getting chastised for this, yet his pass completion was considerably better than Ponder's was and few people acknowledge it. He also only threw 2 INT's to Ponder's 13.
    McNabb was a multiple Pro Bowl QB who was brought in to carry the load while Ponder got up to speed. When it was clear that McNabb was not going to put us in a position to make a playoff run, we cut bait and decided to get Ponder experience. Comparing there performance is meaningless without looking at the end goal. Same thing with the Webb comparisons. If the coaching staff feels that Webb is not going to be the long term answer, then why invest in his development. If they believe Ponder can be a long term answer, then take the shot at it. I don't fault there approach and I would do the same if I was in their shoes from what I've seen thus far.

When you throw the ball in the dirt, it is pretty hard to get an INT, I will give McNabb that. Ponder will continue to throw INT's this year, but hopefully he will also show more productivity with TD's and moving the chains.

IMO, he is the only QB on our roster that has the potential of being a franchise QB. Find out as soon as you can if that is the case, and if not, keep searching.

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    McNabb was a multiple Pro Bowl QB who was brought in to carry the load while Ponder got up to speed. When it was clear that McNabb was not going to put us in a position to make a playoff run, we cut bait and decided to get Ponder experience. Comparing there performance is meaningless without looking at the end goal. Same thing with the Webb comparisons. If the coaching staff feels that Webb is not going to be the long term answer, then why invest in his development. If they believe Ponder can be a long term answer, then take the shot at it. I don't fault there approach and I would do the same if I was in their shoes from what I've seen thus far.

When you throw the ball in the dirt, it is pretty hard to get an INT, I will give McNabb that. Ponder will continue to throw INT's this year, but hopefully he will also show more productivity with TD's and moving the chains.

IMO, he is the only QB on our roster that has the potential of being a franchise QB. Find out as soon as you can if that is the case, and if not, keep searching.
    I agree with this, but wont conceed the fact Webb doesn't have potential to be a franchise QB. However, the probability seems less likely.

In my mind a 13/13 TD to interception ratio isn't all that bad for a rookie without OTA's, decent pass protection, and a marginal offensive scheme.
    Ponder needs all the reps he can get. I'm on board with naming him the starter and giving him every opportunity to prove he is or isn't the future of this franchise.

I think competition is a good thing but feel they are trying to bolster Ponder's confidence by naming him the starter. Unfortunately, confidence usually comes with success on Sunday.

Hopefully we will see a little more of that this season.

Ponder will continue to throw INT's this year, but hopefully he will also show more productivity with TD's and moving the chains.

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    I agree with this, but wont conceed the fact Webb doesn't have potential to be a franchise QB. However, the probability seems less likely.
    And you've based these decisions after only 3 starts by Webb?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    He was a 2nd rounder Marr. He should do "pretty good"
    So the following question is, why didn't he get better the next year? Is it on him to get himself better? Maybe its on the other OLmen to teach him?

You above all others on here should know that the coaches are there to teach players, all of them. If that doesn't happen they won't get better.

Again, our coaching staff is questionable at best and the players that are on this team aren't going to get any better without those guys stepping up and coaching them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    So the following question is, why didn't he get better the next year? Is it on him to get himself better? Maybe its on the other OLmen to teach him?

You above all others on here should know that the coaches are there to teach players, all of them. If that doesn't happen they won't get better.

Again, our coaching staff is questionable at best and the players that are on this team aren't going to get any better without those guys stepping up and coaching them.
    Loadholt didn't just "not improve", he declined. His play was flat out terrible. I might even go as far as to say Loadholt was a top-two OLman for us his rookie year. The year following, easily the worst starter.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast