Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    The guy deserves more money and more reps, pretty sure any idiot, even our coaches, can see that. But, really, 87 catches + 52 rushes + 16 returns isn't completely, under-used. That's 155 touches right there or dam near 10 touches a game. That's pretty high for a reciever and doesn't include the failed targets he had. I'd trade a few rushes and returns for getting him over 100 catches, but I'm not sure how much more you'd want to work him...he alreadys seems to miss practice alot due to dings and dents...but as a decoy, he should still be on the field more.

    Of course money is part of it...he's proved his worth and is pretty much getting paid vet minimum. But I got a feeling a big part of his "issues" is that he's not real fond of how much the Vikings are practicing and looking at that 2-TE set, cuz his strength is the slot, which isn't going to see the field much with 2 TEs out there. And then there's where and what we added as other weapons this off season too...a high paid TE, a suspended one year wondering if he can do it again WR and the other WRs not until the 4th round with the first one being kind of a Harvin clone and the other a guy who still hasn't played or practiced for over a year. I'd bet Harvin was hoping for somebody to attract a lil attention opposite him, not a potential/developmental and positional replacement. That's where Frazier stepped in and said, look, we're going to use you, we'd be nuts not to.

    I think the kid's got way too much talent to let walk, his multi threat is too important to our offense. And really, the injury thing is a bit overblown...he misses practice, but not many games. Sure, there are a few routes he's not great at, or maybe its that missed practice, and some DBs have a bit of a size advantage, but with the ball in his hands, he's pretty damn near Peterson's equal if you sum up their combination of speed, moves, power, and balance, and that is incredibly impressive.
    Wes Welker had 122 catches last year on an offense that largely featured a lot of 2 TE sets with Gronk and Hernandez. Together those three had close to 300 catches.

    They also had Tom Brady. Ponder is probably where Percy has more concern in relation to what kind of production he will have going into his contract year.

    He's about the contract, and the longer the term the better. He has an injury history and he is a higher risk player. I would be trying to do the same if I was in his shoes. But, I also understand the Vikings position.

  2. #22
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840
    I think they'll work it out. Ya know, a lil compromise...you gotta give him some money up front, a good-sized signing bonus with low salary year one. That stretches the big bucks over the contract length and gives him what he wants: more money now. Then you split the remaining years between a moderate salary and roster bonuses, protecting the team against injury and/or headaches (that he has or causes!)

    Maybe 20 mill to sign for five years, 1 mill salary year 1, maybe guarantee year 2 at 6 mill, then 3-5 mill in salary AND end of season roster bonus for years 3-5. He averages about 10 mill/year. Not quite Fitz or Vincent Jackson money, but not far off and you know these things just keep going up.

    As for Ponder, I just watched some highlights, and I think he's got potential. He nails some really tight throws and should be much improved with a better OL and targets around him. He and Rudolf had some stellar connections last season, and both should be better with a full off-season added to the experience they got last year. Check it out...I know, its highlights, but it does give me some hope we might have a QB.

    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  3. #23
    shockzilla's Avatar
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    6,204
    Blog Entries
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I think they'll work it out. Ya know, a lil compromise...you gotta give him some money up front, a good-sized signing bonus with low salary year one. That stretches the big bucks over the contract length and gives him what he wants: more money now. Then you split the remaining years between a moderate salary and roster bonuses, protecting the team against injury and/or headaches (that he has or causes!)

    Maybe 20 mill to sign for five years, 1 mill salary year 1, maybe guarantee year 2 at 6 mill, then 3-5 mill in salary AND end of season roster bonus for years 3-5. He averages about 10 mill/year. Not quite Fitz or Vincent Jackson money, but not far off and you know these things just keep going up.

    As for Ponder, I just watched some highlights, and I think he's got potential. He nails some really tight throws and should be much improved with a better OL and targets around him. He and Rudolf had some stellar connections last season, and both should be better with a full off-season added to the experience they got last year. Check it out...I know, its highlights, but it does give me some hope we might have a QB.

    Heard Bob Lurtsema on KFAN this morning, talking about Ponder. He thinks Ponder is the Vikings' guy and has all the smarts and tools to do well. I agree.
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

  4. #24
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    538
    Pay the man .... his effort is 100+% all the time ... not easy to find.

  5. #25
    MaxVike's Avatar
    MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,551

    Percy to holdout?..

    I deserve more money. Cry me a river... Contract signed, buck up.

    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

  6. #26
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Hmmm, I was led to believe his beefs had nothing to do with money.
    Hope he's not becoming another primadonna, "I'm the whole team", wide receiver we have become accustomed to seeing lately.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

  7. #27
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    As for Ponder, I just watched some highlights, and I think he's got potential. He nails some really tight throws and should be much improved with a better OL and targets around him.

    Two things those highlights reiterate;

    1. Just how much of a playmaker Harvin is & what he can do after catching the ball.

    2. The Vikings screwed the pooch by not retaining Shiancoe & using him & Rudolph in 2 TE sets, along with Harvin as the WR.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  8. #28
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Two things those highlights reiterate;

    1. Just how much of a playmaker Harvin is & what he can do after catching the ball.

    2. The Vikings screwed the pooch by not retaining Shiancoe & using him & Rudolph in 2 TE sets, along with Harvin as the WR.
    Was never a big Shiancoe fan. Thought he under produced for his contract, and was never thrilled with his hands. Hope Rudolph turns out better.

    Caine

  9. #29
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Was never a big Shiancoe fan. Thought he under produced for his contract, and was never thrilled with his hands. Hope Rudolph turns out better.

    Caine
    He got a huge contract mainly because there was a lack of good TE's available in the year and at the time he was signed by the vikings. At the time, I thought they overpaid as well.

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  10. #30
    marshallvike's Avatar
    marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Was never a big Shiancoe fan. Thought he under produced for his contract, and was never thrilled with his hands. Hope Rudolph turns out better.

    Caine
    +1 on both accounts
    I didn't dislike Shiancoe, just thought he was too inconsistent.
    Rudolf looks to be the real thing if he can get past our coaching staff onto the field.
    Last edited by marshallvike; 07-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •