Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Percy Harvin v. Christian Ponder: Subtle War of Words?

When Percy Harvin was traded to Seattle in March, Yahoo! Sports reported that it was a culmination of things, but the straw that essentially broke the camel's back was Harvin's complaints about quarterback Christian Ponder 'not being good enough'. Never mind he was leading the NFC in catches with 62 when he was injured in week nine and put on IR.

Also, something something 10-6, four game win streak to end the season, 5-2 without Harvin, playoffs something something. At the time, Ponder stayed above the fray, saying nothing but good things about Harvin and the situation:
    As a quarterback, it's a fine line to walk between leader and whiner, and a misstep can be fatal, for his team, his ability to lead the team, and their career in general. In this instance, Ponder navigated the minefield well.
    Percy Harvin v. Christian Ponder: Subtle War of Words? - Daily Norseman

I still Marvel that Percy felt that way about Ponder. What was his indicator that Ponder wasn't ever going to be good?

In the end, I still believe this gets back to Percy wanting to be the focal point of the offense and as long as he was, he was good. When AD started to become AD again was when we saw the house of cards crumble and it had nothing to do with Ponder's abilities.

Something of interest.....

Wilson not only pushed Robert Griffin III for Rookie of the Year this season, but also happens to have a lot in common with Harvin. Both are 24 and grew up in the eastern part of Virginia: Harvin from Virginia Beach and Wilson from Richmond.

In other words, they have known of each other for a long time and there's enough respect between the two that Harvin likely won't create more trouble. Wilson is probably one of the few people who can keep Harvin in line.
    Y! SPORTS

It might help, but there are alot of guys in Seattle that want the ball. My guess is Percy will be OK for a time but in the end, the Diva will come out and then it will be someone else getting the blame.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, he is just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. It won't happen right away but it will happen.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well Marty, he loved Favre, hated Ponder. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    Well Marty, he loved Favre, hated Ponder. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why
    I think Ponder was the scapegoat for him. Doesn't mean I profess love for Ponder or anything, I just think Percy's issue were alot deeper than a certain QB that got him 62 balls last year, which had him in the early MVP discussions and was second only to (or tied with at times) Welker and Brady.

What a crappy QB.

Nope, I will always think this had everything to do with him having to start to take a back seat to AD and it pissed him off to no end that he wasn't ever gonna be the guy.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Yeah, he is just a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. It won't happen right away but it will happen.
    Bingo.....

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    For some reasons when WR's become great they become royal PIA's, with only a few exceptions. Not sure who told these guys that they are the most important players on the team, but the message sure seemed to have sunk in.

While AD is in MN, there will be no room for a diva WR in MN. Hopefully AD will be around for a long time.

Harvin is hyper competitive which is great, but it seems to take over the whole team idea once he gets rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    For some reasons when WR's become great they become royal PIA's, with only a few exceptions. Not sure who told these guys that they are the most important players on the team, but the message sure seemed to have sunk in.

While AD is in MN, there will be no room for a diva WR in MN. Hopefully AD will be around for a long time.

Harvin is hyper competitive which is great, but it seems to take over the whole team idea once he gets rolling.
    Well said, and it seems, the further they move from the ball, the bigger the Diva they become even though they see the ball less and less as they move out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I think Ponder was the scapegoat for him. Doesn't mean I profess love for Ponder or anything, I just think Percy's issue were alot deeper than a certain QB that got him 62 balls last year, which had him in the early MVP discussions and was second only to (or tied with at times) Welker and Brady.

What a crappy QB.

Nope, I will always think this had everything to do with him having to start to take a back seat to AD and it pissed him off to no end that he wasn't ever gonna be the guy.

I totally agree Mar. I also think Ponder will step it up this year.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Ponder took the high road, and if he didn't he has no business leading this team. It's a passing grade in this test.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Mark my words, Percy Harvin will be a journey man in the NFL! The only thing that worried me before we drafted Harvin was some reports from various people on his character. Turns out those reports were very legit.

Remember, Vikings drafted Harvin before Spielman and Frazier was put in charge. I wonder if they would also have drafted him as they seem to put a great deal of emphasize on character guys.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast