Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    digital420 is online now Team Alumni
    for me as a fan i love PH for what he can do, and for what he brings to the field. after watching him grow into a dominant role on the team i can say that the combination of PH/AP makes defending the Vikes hard.. but not impossible. we need 3 more key points to be an elite team, and to really let the duo shine as they should.

1 & 2 would be.. a bullish TE that can muscle his way open. is Rudy this guy? or maybe the combo of Rudy and JohnnyC.. (though havn't seen it from JohhnyC yet i'm still hoping) the second part is a solid WR who can stretch the field, go over the middle, and force D's to protect their backside.. Simpson was brought in.. maybe .. maybe he's that part, but i think we'll find this key either in the draft or FA as the team builds as that's what were doing..

3.. a QB that can get the ball spread around. Ponder has vastly improved, but can he get past that good Qb to at least a great qb? this will be the deciding factor on how far the Vikes can use PH and the rest of the required pieces to become elite.

it's early.. havn't had coffee.. so don't qq if i don't make sense yet..
    DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdon00 View Post
    We're are scoring 24.3pts per game. The league leading patriots score 31.3, 7 more per game.
    Fact is while Harvin and Peterson are great players, there are a lot of great players(Rudolph for all his promise is still not a great player IMHO). And of course QB is far and away the most important position. Percy Harvin(or any other wr/rb) will never have the impact of a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

Harvin had 24td his first three years.
    Peterson had 67td his first 5 years.
    It's not like these guys don't know how to score, the TD will come as the season progresses.
    Actually, our offense is only averaging 22 points per game. 14 of those points were scored by special teams. Of those 22 points per game, 8 of them are strictly FG's, meaning our offense produces an average of only 2 TD's per game in rushing/passing. The Patriots are averaging over 3.

We need to find a way to turn a good share of those FG's into TD's. As far as scoring TD's once in the redzone, the Vikings are only at 50%, which ranks 19th in the league.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) on TeamRankings.com
    Last edited by singersp; 10-19-2012 at 05:22 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is online now Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Actually, our offense is only averaging 22 points per game. 14 of those points were scored by special teams. Of those 22 points per game, 8 of them are strictly FG's, meaning our offense produces an average of only 2 TD's per game in rushing/passing. The Patriots are averaging over 3.

We need to find a way to turn a good share of those FG's into TD's. As far as scoring TD's once in the redzone, the Vikings are only at 50%, which ranks 19th in the league.

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Red Zone Scoring Percentage (TD only) on TeamRankings.com
    this is one of the things i'm waiting to see rustymusty show us he's a solid OC. if he can improve on this by utilizing his playmakers with consistant playcalling we will see a large chunk of those well lets get the 3 and move on.. but also on this note.. we were once 4th n goal on the 2.. i know it's a risky move but why not go for it.. you have AP/Toby even if you DONT make it.. your D is sitting on a golden chance to stuff the O ina bad situation and possible saftey. i can understand 4th and goal from the 5+ to go for the chip shot.. but man.. use the tools you have (course it's easy for me being on the other side of a tv or in my case monitor to say this as i'ts not my arse that will be fried if it doesn't work out) i just think we should go for those more often.

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Of the 18 teams a head of the Vikings how many have a winning record at the moment, only 4 have a winning record and the Patriots aren't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by vikinggreg View Post
    Of the 18 teams a head of the Vikings how many have a winning record at the moment, only 4 have a winning record and the Patriots aren't one of them.

The 50% can be deceiving since they don't list the amount of times the teams were to the redzone. Scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone is much different than scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone.

The point is, the Vikings have been to the redzone a lot of times & coming away with only FG's much more often than we should. We wouldn't have a winning record either if it weren't for ST TD's.

We need to get better at coming away with more TD's if we want to win games.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    AD is on pace to score 5 TD's
    Walsh is on pace to attempt 45FG's
    Domg. what is the record for fgs in a season?
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    The 50% can be deceiving since they don't list the amount of times the teams were to the redzone. Scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone is much different than scoring TD's on 50% of 4 times in the redzone.

The point is, the Vikings have been to the redzone a lot of times & coming away with only FG's much more often than we should. We wouldn't have a winning record either if it weren't for ST TD's.

Huh????doesn't seem much different.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

I agree. Musgrave has given away drives with trick plays, strange personnel moves, and low percentage calls when in the endzone. A two yard pass may work for a YAC first down on third and seven at midfield when the defense is stretched, but it is much more difficult in the compacted red zone - especially when the defense is already stacking the box.

As John Madden said, if the team needs ten yards, throw a twelve yard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    Huh????doesn't seem much different.
    LOL! I meant to say 14 for the second one.

AD is on pace to score 5 TD's
    Walsh is on pace to attempt 45FG's

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Domg. what is the record for fgs in a season?
    David Akers broke the record last year by kicking & making 44 of them in 16 games.

That's damn near 3 per game!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast