Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Percy Harvin returned 'in a good frame of mind,'

Notebook: Percy Harvin returned 'in a good frame of mind,' coach says

With time to think about this during the long time we haven't seen Harvin, it makes sense to do what we can to sign pH to a long term contract.

He is a valuable part of this team. He makes the team more dynamic.

I think that AP needs to talk to him (if AP believes it needs to be done) and say to pH that we need you. AP is the man. If pH doesn't respect this gesture and thinks he is bigger that AP, then pH need to go.

This is a team sport. Yes egos can get in the way of a team and if he lets his get in the way thinking he is worth more than the Viking will want to pay, then let him go.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post

I think that AP needs to talk to him (if AP believes it needs to be done) and say to pH that we need you. AP is the man. If pH doesn't respect this gesture and thinks he is bigger that AP, then pH need to go.
    Meh, I disagree with that statement wholeheartedly. Harvin isn't disrespectful if AD asks him to stay & he doesn't, he's merely looking out for himself. AD is already making his millions. It doesn't mean he thinks he's better than AD, it simply means he wants his payday too.

AD should respect Harvin's decision whatever it is.

Why stop there, why don't we just have AD say to all the FA we want to keep, "We need you. I am the man. If you won't be a team player & sign this contract for far less than you're worth, then you must think you're better than me, you're disrespecting me & it's time for you to go."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Percy Harvin recently returned for his exit physical but acknowledged the talented-but-volatile receiver's future remains up in the air.
    That's pretty telling of what we can expect if Harvin doesn't get a new contract before camp.

Again, If there's no new contract in place when FA hits, Spielman better have a better plan for a WR than he's had in the past as he sits idle while the better FA WR's sign elsewhere.

Even if we keep Harvin, we still need a deep threat WR.

Tick-toc. FA is just a little over 1 month away.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

Percy Harvin returned 'in a good frame of mind,'

Agreed. We must have a deep threat WR which will improve the running game even more as well as clear out the middle for Percy. Oh, and maybe a QB that can occasionally hit that "deep threat".
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    That's pretty telling of what we can expect if Harvin doesn't get a new contract before camp.

Again, If there's no new contract in place when FA hits, Spielman better have a better plan for a WR than he's had in the past as he sits idle while the better FA WR's sign elsewhere.

Even if we keep Harvin, we still need a deep threat WR.

Tick-toc. FA is just a little over 1 month away.
    Why oh why do we need a "Deep threat" (aka X) reciever. Why isn't it more important to fix our Z (aka possession receiver)

One, (the X) will see 2 - 5 throws a game. The other, (the Z) will see 10 - 15 throws a game. Inside the red zone, a guy isn't going to run deep. On 3rd downs you are typically looking at something between 5-15 yards.

Look I get that you want to see the ball chucked deep all the time, but the reality of the matter is our scheme doesn't dictate that, nor does AD need the top lifted off to get his yards.

In the end we need to resign Percy (Y) and keep working wright as his backup, draft a Z (Allen, Patterson, Hopkins, Dobson, Hunter)d possibly sign someone like a young FA coming off his first contract (Love Ramses Barden) and bring back Simpson as the X and you will have a very effective WR corps.

Its just silly talk to keep chanting we need a deep threat.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Marrdro, I agree, our whole game is based in the short area, but that is what is making it easier to defend, easier to stack up, clog up, and shut down.

I also agree that we need to upgrade the Z possession guy...to have the speed to get open deep!

Our deep threat doesn't have to get 10 targets a game, he only needs 2 or 3 if they connect for large gains and/or TDs, and then the Threat part takes over, making the enemy defend more field, and thus giving AP and PH and even Rudolf a bit more wiggle room to bust loose. A guy with the speed/moves to get open quickly even makes the OL look better and improves the whole offense, giving us more first downs, and thus giving the defense a better chance to succeed too.

In today's NFL, even with possibly the greatest RB ever, you need multiple threats who can get open deep. It is the new speed of the game. Sure, I love that the 49ers and Ravens are both relatively old school, run first & play defense type teams!! But, you gotta admit, they definitely have the "threat" of completing a deep pass too.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Marrdro, I agree, our whole game is based in the short area, but that is what is making it easier to defend, easier to stack up, clog up, and shut down.

I also agree that we need to upgrade the Z possession guy...to have the speed to get open deep!

Our deep threat doesn't have to get 10 targets a game, he only needs 2 or 3 if they connect for large gains and/or TDs, and then the Threat part takes over, making the enemy defend more field, and thus giving AP and PH and even Rudolf a bit more wiggle room to bust loose. A guy with the speed/moves to get open quickly even makes the OL look better and improves the whole offense, giving us more first downs, and thus giving the defense a better chance to succeed too.

In today's NFL, even with possibly the greatest RB ever, you need multiple threats who can get open deep. It is the new speed of the game. Sure, I love that the 49ers and Ravens are both relatively old school, run first & play defense type teams!! But, you gotta admit, they definitely have the "threat" of completing a deep pass too.
    I like everything you just said except your first comment. Our whole game isn't based on it, it just starts there.

With threats like Percy and AD teams will have to cheat up in the box (we want them to, hell we encourage it) and when they start doing that then you will see things open up for a Z and a couple of shots to the X. That will then have a trickle down effect when it comes to those shots deep.

To sit here an try to say (and you know I'm not saying you specifically) that we need to start taking shots deep first so that we can open up the other stuff just flies in the face of how the scheme is actually called.

Go back to the beginning of the year when AD was struggling. Percy and Rudy were pretty effective and to a certain extent guys like Jenkins were helping in a bit at the Z. That was because of what we did close to the line, which opened things up a bit deeper. Problem was, we really didn't have anybody at the Z and with Simpson out 3 games, the X suffered as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    One thing is for certain. We either need to get him locked up or trade him now. It would be awful to lose another talented wide receiver that we drafted in FA.
    He was the best player on the team while he was playing this season at a position that we're weak at. He's also the best kick returner in the game. I say let's lock him up, draft a Z, and give Simpson one more shot. If we draft well, I think we could have pretty solid receiving core.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    One thing is for certain. We either need to get him locked up or trade him now. It would be awful to lose another talented wide receiver that we drafted in FA.
    He was the best player on the team while he was playing this season at a position that we're weak at. He's also the best kick returner in the game. I say let's lock him up, draft a Z, and give Simpson one more shot. If we draft well, I think we could have pretty solid receiving core.
    I was gonna add you to the "Those that have a clue" spreadsheet but your already on it. Fine post my friend. Fine indeed.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Marty, I always thought the x, y, or z designations came down to positioning within a formation, and not necessarily role. Though there may be characteristics that many Zs or Xs share. From my understanding, a Z is a flanker, so he's lined up off the LoS. Where an X lines up on the line of scrimmage.

So an X would presumably be a stronger guy who can beat the press, which when combined with speed could make him an excellent deep threat, like Terrell Owens was and Andre/Calvin Johnson is.

But a Z has a buffer, so if he has decent handwork at the line and speed he could be a deep threat too, much like Moss was or like Mike Wallace is, most of the time.

But really, I guess it comes down to the offense a team runs and the talent it employs. If they can benefit from moving guys around, they will. Say their typical split end, is getting double teamed and they want to get him the ball to get something going. They might move him over to the Z, so he's harder to double thanks to the TE he's paired with. Then he might be able to make a play.

Regardless of terminology, we need to upgrade both positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast