Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Percy Harvin: the next Reggie Bush

Many people like to compare Percy Harvin to Reggie Bush.
    The question is: Is that a good thing or a bad thing for us purple fans?

I think we all can agree that it's a damn good thing if it's a comparison of athletism, talent and productivity in college.
    Productivity in NFL however, that is not a comparison us Vikings fan would like to see in the future.
    Most people will agree that it will not be a good thing if he turns out to be such a disappointment as Reggie has been so far.

Back to the good things. Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin are very similar in MANY ways.
    They are known for their incredible speed, agility, super elusiveness, cutback ability, and they have almost the exact same body type and size (both height and weight) They also have amazingly quick first steps, and are feared by defenses the second they get a ball in their hands when in space (us Vikings fans should know! anyone remembers last season against the Saints?) They are the arguably the best hybrids between HB and WR in the nation (Reggie leaning more to HB and Percy to WR) and consequently have good vision, route running skills, and solid hands.

Because they have so many things in common, they also share a few negative things.
    They are both undersized as WR, and do not have the sturdy build for an every down back. In other words: they are tweeners. They have durability issues, and thrive the most in a college style spread offense.

In my opinion, Percy Harvin can become a better player in the NFL than Reggie Bush currently is.
    Percy Harvin has better hands than Reggie Bush and Percy might even be a little faster in his first couple of steps. In college, Percy Harvin did also do something that Reggie Bush was not even close to doing when he played in college. Percy amazingly averaged a down on every carry. I think that the most likely thing that might hold Percy back in the NFL is a conservative coach who doesn’t know how to use him in the game.
    A player like Percy Harvin can make a whole lot of touchdowns with a player like Adrian Peterson on the same team.

…

Here are a few articles about Percy Harvin (both before and after the 2009 draft):
    [size=14pt]Percy Harvin: The Next Reggie Bush?[/size]

Link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...xt-reggie-bush

When I wrote that Harvin was the next Reggie Bush, I meant that he is the next 6’0”, 200-pound WR/RB combo who commands an entire defensive game plan just to stop him.

[size=14pt]Gators can't replace a once-in-a-generation player like Harvin[/size]

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...harvin-spikes/

To understand Harvin's brilliance, compare him to former USC tailback Reggie Bush, who was the story in college football in '05. That season, Bush won the Heisman by averaging 9.4 yards every time he caught or carried the ball. For [Percy Harvin’s] three-year career, Harvin averaged 11.6 yards a touch. Think about that. On average, Harvin made a first down every time he touched the football.
    Florida receiver Percy Harvin smiled one November day in 2007 when I asked if he felt slighted because some of his teammates got so much more attention than him despite the fact that Harvin was probably the most dangerous offensive weapon in college football.
    "That's me," Harvin said. "I like laying low."

I love reading the this guy’s articles:

[size=14pt]Why Percy Harvin Was The Perfect Pick[/size]

Link: http://www.vikingvigil.com/tag/percy-harvin/

The possibility of having Harvin and Peterson on the same field is incredible. It is almost like having AD, and a slightly less powerful version of AD in the slot.
    There is no question Harvin would have been gone in round two, as three receivers were already taken in the next fifteen picks, and the Jets said that they were trying to trade back into round one to get Harvin as well. The best receiver left when the Vikings got back on the clock was Derrick Williams, and he only went 4 picks before the Vikings third round pick. Therefore, I think with the way the draft played out at right tackle, and wide receiver, I think Brad Childress made the perfect pick by taking a risky Harvin in round one.
    [Minnesota Vikings'] starting lineup for the skill positions:
    RB - Peterson
    TE - Shiancoe
    WR1 - Berrian
    WR2 - Rice
    WR3 - Harvin

That’s pretty scary for opposing defenses, isn’t it? Go ahead, put eight or nine in the box against Peterson.
    Maybe Berrian will torch you deep. Maybe it’ll be a loft to Rice. Perhaps a quick pass to Harvin who immediately turns it from a three yard gain into a 15, 25, 50 yard play. How about a pass up the seam to Shiancoe for 15 yards, because your linebacker is too slow to catch him?
    Or Peterson will just break through your defense and take it 80 yards to paydirt.
    Pick your poison. Don’t think you can get into a shootout, either; the defense is still pretty stout.

Finally, I would like to quote a poster at the "CBS Sports Community Forum" who might give some of the Percy haters a different view on things:

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/message...o/14699623/0/1

Congrats Vikings!

As a huge Florida Gators fan, I can honestly say that you guys will be very pleased with your selection. I was hoping my Dolphins would get him (even though we have no use for him), but he will do just fine in Minnesota.

To put you guys at ease, let me just say that these "character issues" you're hearing about are COMPLETE BS. Harvin made some mistakes in high school but never once acted up in college. Urban Meyer is not the kind of coach who will put up with disrespectful players. He has zero tolerance for it.

Harvin has always been one of the quieter guys on the team as opposed to being the "locker room cancer" people have been describing him as lately. Two years ago he missed a couple of games because he was very sick with a sinus infection. Whether or not he was that sick is beyond me.

He's also not quite as injury prone as people keep saying. He had a hurt heel that he played through the majority of the season. He did fine. He also had a high ankle sprain but he made an effort to return much quicker than people had expected him to.

He failed a drug test that he knew was coming, which is stupid, but you can't let that worry you.

Harvin is, by far, the most talented receiver that was in the draft (yes, better than Crabtree). When Crabtree played legit defenses last season, he was shut down. Harvin was never shut down and he played far tougher defenses than Crabtree ever did. Crabtree is no where near as strong or fast and agile as Percy is, he's just taller and scouts like that.

Do not be afraid of Harvin going up for the ball. He's got a set of hands and his route running gets better with every game.

He's more of a Reggie Bush-type player, but any analyst who's seen him play will tell you that he's better than Reggie Bush. He's a faster, more agile Reggie Bush with better hands who, technically, is a receiver. Don't be afraid to put him in the backfield though or even have him take a few direct snaps. Aside from Adrian Peterson, this is the best player on your team.

I don't know where all these reports of being a "locker room cancer" are coming from but they're absolute rubbish. Don't let them worry you and I hope you guys can put Percy to good use.

Have a great season!

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Percy Harvin: the next Reggie Bush

I think Percy Harvin will be better than Reggie Bush.

Reggie Bush give New Orleans around 8 TD's every year and a few big plays and if we can get similar or better production from Harvin from different ways like that I'll consider him a success. Harvin could win a lot of those close games for us. I can't wait to see him on the field!
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Well considering he hasn't played a down in the NFL it is impossible
    and not even fair to compare and say one is better or worse than the other. While Bush has not had a "Superstar" career, he has been decent, but many woudl say he has not lived up to the hype.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"Garland" wrote:
    and not even fair to compare and say one is better or worse than the other.
    While Bush has not had a "Superstar" career, he has been decent, but many woudl say he has not lived up to the hype.
    +1

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think Steve Smith is a way better comparison. #1 because he's a WR and Percy Harvin is going to "be" a WR. Harvins a little bigger than Smith, a couple inches and a few pounds, he plays with the same kind of anger and swagger, tremendous concentration. I think Harvin gets compared to Reggie due to him playing RB in college, I think he was such a good player they had to get him for garunteed touches.

I think Harvin is a rather unique player and honest to god, I never seen anything like it in terms of accleration, verstatility and brute "beast".

In terms of route running at the WR position he's night and day from Reggie Bush, even at his Pro Day he was able to overachieve for scouts. People had no idea he could do what he did, cause nobody saw it in the offense they ran. I think more and above all Percy Harvin has a high football IQ and "Loves" the competition. He can do anything, be a RB, do all the things a WR does, he's not just a screen guy, Harvin can run nine routes right past CB's. He's a hell of a player I got really high expectations for him.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Harvin has all the tools to be a successful weapon in the NFL, but, until I still him take a snap, I can't comment on how good he'll be.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    While Bush has not had a "Superstar" career, he has been decent, but many woudl say he has not lived up to the hype.
    +1
    That's a quality +1 right there.
    +1 on the +1 and +1 on the original post, too.

Why don't these polls ever have the choice I want?

"Too early to judge."

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

"Zeus" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    +1
    That's a quality +1 right there.
    +1 on the +1 and +1 on the original post, too.

Why don't these polls ever have the choice I want?

"Too early to judge."

=Z=
    You can't argue the logic, but it is fun to speculate. While Bush is primarily a RB, Harvin is better suited for our offense as a flanker, in the slot, and in motion to create mismatches and force defenses to show their hand. But untill Percy lines up and plays it is not fair to compare. He has to be put in posistion to succeed, by the play designs of Childress, and Bevell.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

RB compared to WR is not fair either.

The only similarity is the expectation put on them both are probably a little high.
    It is like a bar set just out of reach, unlike a goal set by themselves or the team to achieve, it is set by the media and the fans.

Impact one player has on one team is subject to the quality of the team and the player.

Let's see how Harvin is used and if he gets on the field with the offense.
    We all hope he will make an impact, I think we agree on that.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I think Steve Smith is a way better comparison. #1 because he's a WR and Percy Harvin is going to "be" a WR. Harvins a little bigger than Smith, a couple inches and a few pounds, he plays with the same kind of anger and swagger, tremendous concentration. I think Harvin gets compared to Reggie due to him playing RB in college, I think he was such a good player they had to get him for garunteed touches.

I think Harvin is a rather unique player and honest to god, I never seen anything like it in terms of accleration, verstatility and brute "beast".

In terms of route running at the WR position he's night and day from Reggie Bush, even at his Pro Day he was able to overachieve for scouts. People had no idea he could do what he did, cause nobody saw it in the offense they ran. I think more and above all Percy Harvin has a high football IQ and "Loves" the competition. He can do anything, be a RB, do all the things a WR does, he's not just a screen guy, Harvin can run nine routes right past CB's. He's a hell of a player I got really high expectations for him.
    I like that comparison too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast