Re: Percy Harvin on Brett Favre:

Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    He said "SOME of our coaches."

There are quality control guys and assistant coaches on the offense that are younger than Brett.

He's been running the offense for 17 years. There's no doubt he knows what works and what doesn't, he's seen it all.

I don't think there's any controversy in Harvin's statement, it's factual. He knows the offense better than some of our guys, no doubt. Better than Childress? No. Better than Bevell? Maybe. The rest of the guys going down the food chain, probably.
    The Chicago game is proof positive he knows it better than Childress. Even Favre was quoted to saying he basically took over the 2nd half.
    I have to agree, Favre knows the WCO better than anyone on the coaching staff. Childress places too much emphasis on a vanilla running game to really call his version a WCO philosophy. It's more a simple "ball control" offense.

Favre's 18 years running the WCO was with more of a true WCO philosophy. And more importantly, with 18 years of a QB with Favre's skillset...Favre himself...of course he knows how to run "this offense" best.

Having said that, I think Chilli provides a good counterbalance to Favre's gunslinger mentality and that helps aid in the reduction of Interceptions.
    I think your post more reflects their offensive philosophies(which you mentioned yourself), not their knowledge of the system.
    True, and the "current offense" is more in line with Favre's philosophy, ergo...Favre knowing the offense better than Chilli.
    That doesn't mean the system/playbook has changed. Just the way we use it has.

Truth is, we don't know who knows the actual system better. But I have a hard time believing it's not Childress, for the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post. However, that doesn't mean it's unfair to assume that Favre knows it better than some of our other coaches.
    Yeah, more like giving credit for "time in system". But, if I had to give the nod, I have to give it to Favre for that reason.
    None

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Percy Harvin on Brett Favre:

I'm willing to bet that Favre knows the WCO better than any of our coaches. He's been in it for about 17-18 years and knows every single detail of it, I mean, look how fast he picked up our terminology here.

Assuming Chilly is the only competition for Favre in knowing the offense, I think Favre has him beat. Chilly was a QB coach for the Colts in '85, and then went back to college FB until 99 when he joined the iggle's staff as a QB coach for a couple years (I'm assuming thats when he was deemed a QB guru) then switched to O-coordinator. Now hes with the Vikings. So by his timeline he's been in it (the WCO) for a little over 10 years.

At best for Chilly, I think its a draw. I don't think there is anything that Brad C. understands that Favre doesn't.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

12purplepride28 wrote:
    I'm willing to bet that Favre knows the WCO better than any of our coaches. He's been in it for about 17-18 years and knows every single detail of it, I mean, look how fast he picked up our terminology here.

Assuming Chilly is the only competition for Favre in knowing the offense, I think Favre has him beat. Chilly was a QB coach for the Colts in '85, and then went back to college FB until 99 when he joined the iggle's staff as a QB coach for a couple years (I'm assuming thats when he was deemed a QB guru) then switched to O-coordinator. Now hes with the Vikings. So by his timeline he's been in it (the WCO) for a little over 10 years.

At best for Chilly, I think its a draw. I don't think there is anything that Brad C. understands that Favre doesn't.
    Agreed. Although theoretically Bevell is the one behind the offense and he does trace his roots back to Green bay so what he plans and what Brett knows should track closely. I would put Brett's knowledge of the WCO up against the coaching staffs knowledge any day. He has it mastered both fundamentally and mechanically.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ...“I just went into [the season] trying to contribute to the team first of all in the special-teams area but Brett got there and kind of took me into the game a little faster than I probably would have learned it under other quarterbacks,” Harvin said...
    Yes, was fortunate to have an HOFer guiding him his first year.

...Then Percy went a little further and suggested that, as a lot of people have always suspected, Brett was the one really calling the shots in the offense...
    Yes, I trust a young 20-something's opinion on that. It is obvious that people who were actually coaching the game before he was born know less about the workings of a team than a player. Favre is an excellent field general, but, too much goes on behind the scenes to believe that he was the only reason the KAO was more KAOish with Favre at the helm. The best I can tell, it helps to have someone behind center that can execute the full playbook, read defeneses, and audible options based on what is seen on the field.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Then Percy went a little further and suggested that, as a lot of people have always suspected, Brett was the one really calling the shots in the offense.
    “I knew my job would be a lot easier when Brett got here,” Percy said. “He knows the game better than some of our coaches there. I knew our offense would run a lot smoother with a lot more opportunities. He’s known as a gunslinger.”
    In other words, without Brett, the Vikings offense would’ve been boring and vanilla, and Percy would not have gotten the chance to shine.
    With Brett dictating things, Chillyball took a backseat, and the offense became dynamic and exciting.
    I will give him the little tidbit about the Noodle knowing more about the scheme than our coaches, one would almost have to think that especially after 20 years running this offense but the rest of the stuff, ala the HC taking a back seat to a QB, is really out there.

Again, gonna be fun to see who actually believes this jibberish.
    ah, so a quote from a player that proves your point is a reputable source, but if it goes against what you preach its jibberish?

Backseat to Favre might be a bit of a stretch (Seems to be the authors interpretation anyway, not Percy's quote), but its absolutely believable that Favre ran the offense, despite what you'd have us think.
    Running the offense and audibling from the run play to the pass play the O-cord sent in isn't running the offense.

I have never once said he didn't have the lattitude to do this. :P

What I have said is that there is no way the Noodle spends time going over the other teams defensive weaknesses, then sits down and lays out the gameplan, briefs it to the HC and then orchestrates that gameplan during the game.

Audible vs Gameplanning. Two entirely different concepts.

Then mix in the whole "Chilly took a back seat" comment. Anyone who knows anything knows that if anyone took a back seat it would be the O-coord (cat who actually calls the plays from the gameplan that he developed).

(Seems to be the authors interpretation anyway, not Percy's quote)
    Who ever said that is probably a bit closer to reality that the author.....

Again, gonna be fun to see who believes this crap.
    How the hell do you know if Lord Favre helps in the gameplanning or not?
    Is he there now? Will he be there any time soon?

Not sure about you, but that appears to be a "me first" attitude that I wouldn't associate with a guy like a Brady or a Manning.

On a side note, I love to see how all the "Star" QB's are with thier teams right now. Except one of course......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Then Percy went a little further and suggested that, as a lot of people have always suspected, Brett was the one really calling the shots in the offense.
    “I knew my job would be a lot easier when Brett got here,” Percy said. “He knows the game better than some of our coaches there. I knew our offense would run a lot smoother with a lot more opportunities. He’s known as a gunslinger.”
    In other words, without Brett, the Vikings offense would’ve been boring and vanilla, and Percy would not have gotten the chance to shine.
    With Brett dictating things, Chillyball took a backseat, and the offense became dynamic and exciting.
    I will give him the little tidbit about the Noodle knowing more about the scheme than our coaches, one would almost have to think that especially after 20 years running this offense but the rest of the stuff, ala the HC taking a back seat to a QB, is really out there.

Again, gonna be fun to see who actually believes this jibberish.
    ah, so a quote from a player that proves your point is a reputable source, but if it goes against what you preach its jibberish?

Backseat to Favre might be a bit of a stretch (Seems to be the authors interpretation anyway, not Percy's quote), but its absolutely believable that Favre ran the offense, despite what you'd have us think.
    Running the offense and audibling from the run play to the pass play the O-cord sent in isn't running the offense.

I have never once said he didn't have the lattitude to do this. :P

What I have said is that there is no way the Noodle spends time going over the other teams defensive weaknesses, then sits down and lays out the gameplan, briefs it to the HC and then orchestrates that gameplan during the game.
    and nobody is telling you this either.

There's a difference between running the offense and calling the offense.

If there's a QB who calls the offense, its Peyton Manning.

Brett Favre runs it though, no question.

Then mix in the whole "Chilly took a back seat" comment. Anyone who knows anything knows that if anyone took a back seat it would be the O-coord (cat who actually calls the plays from the gameplan that he developed).

(Seems to be the authors interpretation anyway, not Percy's quote)
    Who ever said that is probably a bit closer to reality that the author.....

Again, gonna be fun to see who believes this crap.
    again, these are the direct quotes from Harvin:

I just went into [the season] trying to contribute to the team first of all in the special-teams area but Brett got there and kind of took me into the game a little faster than I probably would have learned it under other quarterbacks,”
    the rest is just interpretation.
    Good point on Peyton, but all in all, he still doesn't do the legwork on the gameplan vs the opposing teams weakness.

There is a whole coaching staff that puts that stuff together.

Quick question, in the direct quotes, do you know what the
    [the season]
    means?
    I'd imagine he just said something like "I just went into this trying..." or some other generic term, and it was altered so there would be minimal confusion as to what he meant.
    They say Peyton watches more tape than anybody, I'm willing to be he's at least active in gameplanning. He probably sits with the coaches and goes over tape and points out things he notices. He seems like one of the most pro-active guys in the league, I doubt those countless accounts of how much he watches tape and works are all lies. I don't know the extent on what he does, but I'd be willing to bet that he has some part in gameplanning.

That, and he has a choice of plays to run on any given play, should also make that fairly clear.

I've said before, Tom Moore has one of the easiest jobs in the game.
    I agree, Peyton is probably the most active in that regard, but he probably only gets involved when they review specific sets/trends that the rest of the staff has found, to make sure he knows what he is seeing.

and it was altered so there would be minimal confusion as to what he meant.
    So what your saying is, it isn't a direct quote, but actually a quote the author took the liberty of editing so us dumb yutz's would understand the point the author was trying to make.

In short, he thinks we are to dumb to get his point on our own or might even come up with an altogether idea which probably doesn't meet his agenda...... :huh:
    if you edit a quote, you've gotta put the [edits] in the brackets. similar to this

In short, he thinks [the majority of PP.O members] are dumb to get his point on our own or might even come up with an altogether idea which probably doesn't meet his agenda...... :huh:
    the fact is, the edit made has nothing to do with the actual content, just changing a choice of words. You're really [reaching] for something that isn't there
    Marrdro reaching?! Naw that never happens. LOL!
    Its a discussion not a who's right who's wrong thing.

Am I reaching? Maybe.....but in the end, I posted this thread so that we could have something to discuss.

Just so happens I like to harp on news paper hacks and people who believe the jibberish they spew out. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    On a side note, I love to see how all the "Star" QB's are with thier teams right now. Except one of course......
    Hmmmmm...all of them?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/09/mmqb.tom.brady/index.html

He will be back in Foxboro this morning to resume work in the Patriots' offseason program. But he's not been a regular in the program thus far. Brady used to win awards for his attendance and fervor in the offseason program, but he said he has spent two weeks in the program since it began in mid-March. File this under the "life changes' category. The son he had with Bridget Moynahan, Jack, turns 3 in August. Benjamin Brady, his son with Bundchen, is 5 months old. Brady sounds like he'll be as much of a full-time dad as he can be while shuttling between Los Angeles and Boston.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Hmmm....where have I heard THIS before?

In a chat with the Palm Beach Post, Percy Harvin gave the credit for his speedy development as a wide receiver to the guy who threw him the ball in 2009, and may be throwing him the ball again in 2010.

“I just went into [the season] trying to contribute to the team first of all in the special-teams area but Brett got there and kind of took me into the game a little faster than I probably would have learned it under other quarterbacks,” Harvin said.
    But Jackson would have done just as good, right Mar?

:P

Caine
    Touche'........

On a side note, you know that I have never said anything like that.

I've said that I think this team, including a rookie by the name of PH, could carry TJ just like they made a certain HOF'r look better than he has ever had during his career.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

Marrdro wrote:
    Caine wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Hmmm....where have I heard THIS before?

In a chat with the Palm Beach Post, Percy Harvin gave the credit for his speedy development as a wide receiver to the guy who threw him the ball in 2009, and may be throwing him the ball again in 2010.

“I just went into [the season] trying to contribute to the team first of all in the special-teams area but Brett got there and kind of took me into the game a little faster than I probably would have learned it under other quarterbacks,” Harvin said.
    But Jackson would have done just as good, right Mar?

:P

Caine
    Touche'........

On a side note, you know that I have never said anything like that.

I've said that I think this team, including a rookie by the name of PH, could carry TJ just like they made a certain HOF'r look better than he has ever had during his career.
    Mar...

At some point you're gonna have to let it go.
    Purple till i die

Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Hmmmmm...all of them?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/09/mmqb.tom.brady/index.html

He will be back in Foxboro this morning to resume work in the Patriots' offseason program. But he's not been a regular in the program thus far. Brady used to win awards for his attendance and fervor in the offseason program, but he said he has spent two weeks in the program since it began in mid-March. File this under the "life changes' category. The son he had with Bridget Moynahan, Jack, turns 3 in August. Benjamin Brady, his son with Bundchen, is 5 months old. Brady sounds like he'll be as much of a full-time dad as he can be while shuttling between Los Angeles and Boston.
    =Z=
    Leave it to ole Z to find a little nit noid fact......

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast